Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking next to others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The X is pretty wide and the FWD help mitigate some of that when parking, but do you worry about the car next to you? Even with the benefits of FWD, do you park further away or look for a secluded parking spot (or one next to another X)?

I always worry about the car next to mine, because drivers and passengers have the propensity of ramming their door into my car. That happens even with narrower cars.

When two cars are parked forward with space for one car in between, I usually park backward and leave almost all space on the driver's side, so they don't even get the idea of entering on the passenger side.

When I happen to watch somebody park very close to my car, I sometimes summon my car out until they have left their car.

The X is pretty wide and the FWD help mitigate some of that when parking, but do you worry about the car next to you? Even with the benefits of FWD, do you park further away or look for a secluded parking spot (or one next to another X)?

I've driven my car the same way as I've driven any other car. I don't really look for a specific spot unless I need a spot to charge in. I haven't found the FWDs to be an issue or a significant positive in parking over say a minivan with sliding doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: dmurphy and KerryOH
I always look for a spot away from others, especially on windy days when someone returning to their car may have the wind pull their door out. What I find many times, if I park far away from everyone else, when I return to my car there are cars parked all around me. I think they know I'll be careful when getting in and out of mine so they feel it is safe parking next to me. My MX is so much wider than my Prius! It also depends what state I am in, or neighborhood.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
i echo the all the same sentiments, i don't park further way due to the FWD - i park further away cause someone is bound to ram their door into mine (that's how my luck works). i got no issue walking further to help mitigate my stress level knowing some doof is bound to nail my door(s).

• Love
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Yes, I am somewhat protective of my 2018 MX and tend to park far away from others. Sometimes it means in the far corner of a parking lot but it does not hurt me to walk. I had some experience: the first week I had it, I parked next to a family van at a pizza restaurant. There was otherwise limited parking, and when I got back to the car, they had driven off and nicked a long chip in the paint of my FWD from their door. That was real sadness and a wake up call. It is just a car.

I always look if the next car has a child seat ... if it has then I will not park next to it. No offence , I like babies and children , but it is almost impossible to put a child in a car seat w/o pushing the the door as far as it will go... and you run a high risk of getting an unintentional ding...

I always look for a spot away from others, especially on windy days when someone returning to their car may have the wind pull their door out. What I find many times, if I park far away from everyone else, when I return to my car there are cars parked all around me. I think they know I'll be careful when getting in and out of mine so they feel it is safe parking next to me. My MX is so much wider than my Prius! It also depends what state I am in, or neighborhood.

Yep, yep, and yep. There was a time I arrived at work and cars were parked in every other space, as if it was an unspoken rule -- it was a great sight. On another day I asked a coworker why she chose to park next to my car when so many other spaces were available (before I had the Tesla). I was purely trying to learn the psychology behind it. She said she honestly wasn't even aware of her parking behavior/choice. She had so many other things going through her mind, such as kids' school schedule, what to make for dinner, etc. and she gave no thought to picking parking spots. So for some, I guess it is entirely unintentional...except for the cases below.

SmartSelect_20200630-184116_Message+.jpg
SmartSelect_20200630-183950_Message+.jpg

On another day I asked a coworker why she chose to park next to my car when so many other spaces were available (before I had the Tesla). I was purely trying to learn the psychology behind it. She said she honestly wasn't even aware of her parking behavior/choice. She had so many other things going through her mind, such as kids' school schedule, what to make for dinner, etc. and she gave no thought to picking parking spots. So for some, I guess it is entirely unintentional...except for the cases below.

Eek, you parked forward!