TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking Sensor Prototype/Early Look

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ryanjm, May 31, 2013.

1. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I was at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto today returning my P85 test car (I'll be doing a review for the Tech channel of the website I work for -- and P.S. Photographs simply do not do the multi-coat red justice. It is STUNNING in person, namely when it is out in the sunshine!), and spotted this Sig red parked in the front row where all the company cars go. It's certainly possible that this is an employee's personal car that he/she has had fitted with custom aftermarket parking sensors, but more likely than not this is a company car with a prototype or test version of the parking sensors before they roll out to production models. I snapped a couple of quick pics figuring you guys would be interested.

parkingsensorfront.JPG

parkingsensorrear.JPG

P.S. Mods, I wasn't sure if this thread was better placed here, but since it's just photos of the cosmetic look of the parking sensors I chose this forum. Feel free to move it if you prefer.

2. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

Those sensors look bad. The paint doesn't match well at all. I suspect aftermarket and they couldn't match the Tesla paint.

3. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I posted these before. These are my aftermarket sensors - Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA did a much better match with the paint. You can almost not see the second front sensor which is in the black - it is in a straight line down from the hood line.
    Tesla Parking Sensor Front.JPG Tesla Parking Sensor Back.JPG

4. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

It may be asking too much and I'll take those rather than no parking sensors at all any day, but I fully expect Tesla's production version of their parking sensors to be completely invisible under the skin of the car.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thanks. I moved it to UI just because most of the parking sensor discussion is here.

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@Volker.Berlin

For Europe parking sensors are already available for Model S. You can ask to a Tesla store to know details on this matter.

7. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

I know. In fact, I ordered them. :) But that doesn't mean that details are available just yet...

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

atrotoy-

Not only does that sensor installation look great, I grew up in Hayward. :)

9. Clint Eastwood

Can someone explain to me why I need parking sensors?

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Good point. I don't miss not having them.

11. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

Agreed. I find the Model S to be very easy to park. The rear camera is better than any sensor to tell me where I am, and I've gotten used to the front dimensions.

12. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Ugh I thought they were working on a no circle type. Not damaging my beauty for parking sensors!

13. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

#13 astrotoy, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    You don't need them. I do. I'm older than you are (68)! Same reason I don't need a Performance Model. :)

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've had a few cars with parking sensors like that, and the appearance never bothered me at all. I suppose invisible would be preferred, but if Tesla offered something like that, I wouldn't mind a bit.

15. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I agree with those that say you don't need parking sensors.

I watched my girlfriend parallel park her Honda CR-V into a tiny space last night. No sensors, no rear cam and she did it with 2 moves (backing in, centering car in the spot). 2 feet on either end. 6" from curb that she never touched. No spotting or help from anyone else. She's a keeper! Now I feel like a sissie using my side view mirror and backup cam.

16. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

I need them BAD for the front at the very least! Parking curbs in NY are super high and parallel parking is difficult without them......Hurry Tesla. Hurry!

17. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Clint Eastwood is actually 83. In fact yesterday was his birthday I believe :)

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I want them. I park in a tight parking garage at work with support poles everywhere and very narrow lanes.

19. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

So you do have them? Do tell! :wink:

Kidding aside, I'll be taking a serious look at the safety tech package when details are available. I don't miss having the features most of the time, but there are times where I wouldn't mind an extra set of eyes keeping a look out for obstacles.

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The first row is where the charging stations are and used by anyone who needs to charge. I've parked my Roadster next to Elon's on more than one occasion (and I'm def not an employee). The employee lot is the next lot over.

My point being that it might be a Tesla-owned car with experimental mods, or it's equally likely that it is a visitor to hq who parked in front.