Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger lumbar support missing from new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of MY last Friday with VIN 186..., black on black and had a less than stellar experience. I also have no passenger lumbar.

It's not a deal breaker but it's definitely disappointing. I paid luxury prices for a luxury car with luxury options, this particular one being important to me and my bad back. Besides the obvious inconvenience of not having this option when I want it, it also has an affect on the resale.

Relegate us to "whiners" all you want but this was an option touted in the materials for the car and not delivered. This is a slippery slope for Tesla and they should take note.

Hello folks, As my December, 2018 M3 doesn't have this problem (obviously) I just want to comment, Two facts............My car has been absolutely problem free (other than the occasional reboot and a FM radio issue that Tesla resolved OTA). However, fact 2 is that I've never paid $50K+for a car before. My statement is that the lumbar support is not free and I've never seen language suggesting that you may or may not get what you ordered. Tesla should have been "up front" re: this and at delivery there should have been at least 3 options. Options should have been a credit or an "I owe you" or an outright cancellation. Surely, I understand Tesla's shortage issue but I find this "catch me if you can" approach for any car (especially $50K+ cars) reprehensible, Tesla should be better than this. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 73Bruin and JHCCAZ
New Owner in Ontario, Canada.

We took delivery on Saturday. Ours is a 192 VIN and we do not have lumbar on the passenger. I wrote a post about this but we were not even told about this on delivery. It was more like "oh that's your car, parked 3 rows over, go check it out." No mention of the cameras/radar or lack of passenger lumbar support or the additional PPF and mud flap. It's a funny experience to say the least.

We are loving our car don't get me wrong but imagine driving to the Apple Store to pick up your online ordered iPhone 12 Pro Max to discover that one camera was taken out but you should feel chuffed because the weight of the device is a bit lighter than advertised?!

I just don't understand why Tesla doesn't come clean on stuff like this. Without this forum I'm not sure what my husband and I would do. It's been a lifesaver for information.

Because all is based on usage stats. Why then rear seats has still heating included?
If they can see usage of passanger lumbar support but they can't see is driver on seat or not. There is something BS on air currently.

Then there is that they still need to provide driver seat with lumbar support to countries where driver is on right side, example UK.
If you believe what Elon said about weight saving, then the entire lumbar assembly should be removed (or at least the motor that makes it adjustable). I'm thinking that seat heaters don't weigh that much, being that are probably just a mat of wires. And perhaps higher perceived usage as when you say 'My Butt is Cold', all 5 of the seat heaters turn on....

I just checked the M3 service manual (I’m assuming that MY is similar). Lumbar support assembly and pump can be accessed easily by removing plastic backshell on the back of the seat. This is not good news because if it’s modular, then Tesla could eliminate not only the switch, but the entire lumbar assembly fairly easily. They would just have to rev. their seat assembly drawings and bill of materials to delete the parts. Only way to confirm would be for one of the new owners without lumbar support to remove seat back cover and inspect.
Thanks for checking this out. It would be interesting to see. How hard is removing the plastic backshell? I have a feeling that the current seats may have one or two components that are not available and that the seat is mostly still in tact.

I took delivery of MY last Friday with VIN 186..., black on black and had a less than stellar experience. I also have no passenger lumbar.

It's not a deal breaker but it's definitely disappointing. I paid luxury prices for a luxury car with luxury options, this particular one being important to me and my bad back. Besides the obvious inconvenience of not having this option when I want it, it also has an affect on the resale.

Relegate us to "whiners" all you want but this was an option touted in the materials for the car and not delivered. This is a slippery slope for Tesla and they should take note.
You have to be kidding me really? First off a MY is not really a luxury car, premium maybe, luxury no. You want luxury get a Mercedes or pony up for a Model X. Affect resale value? funniest thing I read all day. 99.9% of the population can care less about passenger lunar support, no one is going to demand less money for your car because of a lack of it. Get real.

99.9% of the population can care less about passenger lunar support, no one is going to demand less money for your car because of a lack of it. Get real.
Welcome to TMC!
If 99.9% of the population doesn't care, why did Tesla ever put it in the cars? They could have saved money starting 3 years ago. Yet they believed it needed to be there to compete with other $50k cars.
Given the constant changes in Teslas, features like these can impact sales prices in the future. You have to ask a lot of questions about a Tesla to understand what you're getting (HW2, 2.5, 3, Matrix head lights, heated steering wheel, seats V1/V2, radar or no radar, fart sounds, etc...)

Thanks for checking this out. It would be interesting to see. How hard is removing the plastic backshell? I have a feeling that the current seats may have one or two components that are not available and that the seat is mostly still in tact.
Looks like it’s held in by snap-in retainers. See this video for removal:

The large yellow frame that’s visible immediately after he removes the seat back is the lumbar support assembly.

Welcome to TMC!
If 99.9% of the population doesn't care, why did Tesla ever put it in the cars? They could have saved money starting 3 years ago. Yet they believed it needed to be there to compete with other $50k cars.
Given the constant changes in Teslas, features like these can impact sales prices in the future. You have to ask a lot of questions about a Tesla to understand what you're getting (HW2, 2.5, 3, Matrix head lights, heated steering wheel, seats V1/V2, radar or no radar, fart sounds, etc...)
Appreciate it!

They put it in because most cars have it nowadays, that Dosent mean most people use actually USE it especially in the passengers seat.

Reactions: whisperingshad
This is a great example of Tesla being able to use their vast amount of data to make production decisions.

If seat lumbar supports are in limited supply, Tesla would need to perhaps reduce production by 1/2. With tons of people waiting for a long time to get their cars Tesla could simply only put one in the drivers side, and eliminate the passenger one.

They looked at their data and found out the passenger seat power adjustable lumbar support was almost never used. Made the decision quickly to eliminate the passenger one, and kept producing cars at full speed.

Side benefit is reductions in production costs and vehicle weight.

Reality is that perhaps very few buyers would check an order box to add passenger seat power adjustable lumbar seats if that was an $175 option.

hey put it in because most cars have it nowadays, that Dosent mean most people use actually USE it especially in the passengers seat.
Do you believe they removed it because nobody uses it, or because there is a supply chain issue?

The main issue here is that Tesla did advertise this, did not communicate the change to customers, and is lying about why they made the change.

They looked at their data and found out the passenger seat power adjustable lumbar support was almost never used. Made the decision quickly to eliminate the passenger one, and kept producing cars at full speed.
Yeah, except a seat designed to not have adjustable lumbar is designed differently than one that has an adjustable lumbar support. You can't just remove the mechanism. Who knows how Tesla went about this.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I bought a new phone. I didn't have much money so I had to buy an irregular phone -- it had no number 5 on it.
I saw a close friend of mine the other day. He said, "Steven, why haven't you called me?" I said, "I can't call everyone I want. My new phone has no five on it." He said, "How long have you had it?" I said, "I don't know... My calendar has no sevens on it."

an old steven wright joke. for some reason, this thread reminds me of that one.

You have to be kidding me really? First off a MY is not really a luxury car, premium maybe, luxury no. You want luxury get a Mercedes or pony up for a Model X. Affect resale value? funniest thing I read all day. 99.9% of the population can care less about passenger lunar support, no one is going to demand less money for your car because of a lack of it. Get real.
😳 fanatic much? who pissed in your cheerios? The Y is absolutely considered a Luxury car by not just individuals but businesses like limo services etc... Options absolutely do affect resale value. Tesla’s don’t have traditional trim levels so they are a sum of their parts and luxury options. Adjustable seats are part of the equation. If you were the buyer and had to choose between identical cars, one with and one without, you’re telling me this wouldn’t matter?

Reactions: dyau
I personally wouldn't consider the 3/Y a luxury car, not just because it lost it's lumbar support. It's more of a premium car. I like to compare a 3/Y to an Apple Watch as opposed to a Rolex. Has all the features and some nice touches, but it doesn't have the finesse, quality, comfort, and detail you'd equate to luxury.

Does anyone know what they did to the lumbar support? Did they just remove the entire assembly or just the motor/chip/switch? Are the seats just unsupportive in that section now?

Reactions: alexcue
😳 fanatic much? who pissed in your cheerios? The Y is absolutely considered a Luxury car by not just individuals but businesses like limo services etc... Options absolutely do affect resale value. Tesla’s don’t have traditional trim levels so they are a sum of their parts and luxury options. Adjustable seats are part of the equation. If you were the buyer and had to choose between identical cars, one with and one without, you’re telling me this wouldn’t matter?

@omniEye I've seen one thread here in TMC asking about using the MY as a "limo" of sorts, but I'm thinking if you were to survey limo operators you would find and underwhelming percentage might identify the MY as a good candidate for limousine service.