Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side (maybe B pillar) rattle, drives me crazy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have been looking at many of the forums on here trying to solve this rattle. Service can never replicate it... Which is frustrating. I do not notice it when it rains either... But that seems to be caused by the increased noise when the roads are wet.

Service has replaced both front door panels for a separate issue. I have also put felt into the top B pillar seatbelt area to try and fix it, and nothing worked. I also placed felt where the headliner meets a plastic piece up top near the B pillar, and I also glued the front tweeter to help with that as well. None of them fixed my rattle unfortunately. Lastly, and most recently, I took the lower B pillar off and inspected for broken clips that may have fallen into the bottom, and also applied felt strips where there could be contact. But again, not fixed.

I have attached 2 video links to this thread. One is just driving normally, the other is with the upper b pillar removed. It becomes much more noticeable at this point.

With B Pillar Attached
Without B Pillar Attached

I know its barely noticeable... But I'm losing my mind! I would appreciate any help I can get!

I had a similar issue on the driver side with my B pillar - rattling/buzzing. I reported it twice during SC visits with no results, response was fixing something in the A pillar (where the noise wasn't coming from), and then unable to replicate. On the third visit I volunteered to go out with the technician since I knew where and how to produce the problem. Five minutes into the drive the technician heard the sound, knew immediately what the problem was (something wasn't attached correctly in the B pillar), and fixed it when we got back to the SC.
No problem since then.

I had a similar issue on the driver side with my B pillar - rattling/buzzing. I reported it twice during SC visits with no results, response was fixing something in the A pillar (where the noise wasn't coming from), and then unable to replicate. On the third visit I volunteered to go out with the technician since I knew where and how to produce the problem. Five minutes into the drive the technician heard the sound, knew immediately what the problem was (something wasn't attached correctly in the B pillar), and fixed it when we got back to the SC.
No problem since then.
I’m just hoping I’m not SOL. Sometimes it seems like it goes away when someone is in the passenger seat.

I’ll have to go for a drive with a tech… but I’m open to attempting to fix myself!

OK, this is may not the cause BUT have you checked to make sure it's not just the seat belt bumping against the B pillar? I had a rattle in my car that bothered me, then I realized it went away when I had someone in the passenger seat, wearing the seat belt. My solution has been to simply keep that seatbelt attached. The rattle has never come back.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
I sometimes get a pretty good rattle from the right rear side seat belt buckle on my Y.. so I 'second' the suggestion to secure all belts - at least as part of debug process...
OK, this is may not the cause BUT have you checked to make sure it's not just the seat belt bumping against the B pillar? I had a rattle in my car that bothered me, then I realized it went away when I had someone in the passenger seat, wearing the seat belt. My solution has been to simply keep that seatbelt attached. The rattle has never come back.
Yeah, I have checked. I get a different rattle when that happens… lol

I have a rattle with the passenger seat belt buckle when not being used, However the rattle can be eliminated by moving the seat to a new position, forwards or backwards.

This seat belt buckle rattle has been mentioned on this forum before. I was thinking about installing a strong magnetic under the trim piece where the rattle occurs. But this is just a project for another day.

Reactions: Abdul2021
I have exact similar issue on my M3SR 2022, Rattle comes from right side only when driving alone.
With passenger sitting it does not rattle, meaning its coming from passenger seat or seat belt.
Will give it try alone with passenger side seat belt in latched position and reports back.

Hi all, I have been looking at many of the forums on here trying to solve this rattle. Service can never replicate it... Which is frustrating. I do not notice it when it rains either... But that seems to be caused by the increased noise when the roads are wet.

Service has replaced both front door panels for a separate issue. I have also put felt into the top B pillar seatbelt area to try and fix it, and nothing worked. I also placed felt where the headliner meets a plastic piece up top near the B pillar, and I also glued the front tweeter to help with that as well. None of them fixed my rattle unfortunately. Lastly, and most recently, I took the lower B pillar off and inspected for broken clips that may have fallen into the bottom, and also applied felt strips where there could be contact. But again, not fixed.

I have attached 2 video links to this thread. One is just driving normally, the other is with the upper b pillar removed. It becomes much more noticeable at this point.

With B Pillar Attached
Without B Pillar Attached

I know its barely noticeable... But I'm losing my mind! I would appreciate any help I can get!
I have a rattle in the b pillar on the driver's side. It seems like it is right in my ear. I have not contacted service yet, service center is an hour away and not wanting to travel just for that.

Following this thread! My 2021 M3P has the same noise as the video. Kind of like a rustling noise. Also, sounds like it’s coming from the right side lower b pillar trim, where the video is taken. A lot louder with the trim off. I’m right hand drive, and it sounds next to my ear when driving.

Or move the sear slightly forward or backwards.

I have exact similar issue on my M3SR 2022, Rattle comes from right side only when driving alone.
With passenger sitting it does not rattle, meaning its coming from passenger seat or seat belt.
Will give it try alone with passenger side seat belt in latched position and reports back.
Take the seat back off and make sure there isn’t anything loose behind it.