Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side mirror not folding out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't mention it, but I actually tried it both ways. First time with phone in airplane mode (although car had just locked a minute or so prior), and then later that day with phone up on 4th floor of my building while car was in sub-basement parking lot. Let me know if you find anything different.

Too, bad, though -- I was trying to figure out why on earth the signal strength might have anything to with this issue, and took a wild guess that "ok, phone as key is your phone making a bluetooth connection, maybe bluetooth antennas are in the mirrors as well and maybe one mirror knows the car is unlocked but the other doesn't(???!?)." Not that that makes any sense, but then again, nothing connected with this bug makes any sense. Can't even hypothesize about what software or hardware issue would lead to: Car detects unlock signal + has internet connection = both mirrors unfold, but car detects unlock signal + NO internet connection = only driver mirror unfolds

Hmm odd, didn't get a notification of you quoting me untill today. So I didn't read it untill now. :p

Yeah I've also tried and it still failed to open the passenger side mirror. So I guess we can rule that out, it's not about which key is used (phone or keycard). I guess we just didn't test keyfob yet but yeah.. :p Probably will have same results.

In these past few weeks I've been gathering a lot more timestamps for the service center to look at. All of the timestamps with WiFi or LTE connection there's no problem whatsoever. Only the timestamps where there's an E connection it fails to open that mirror.

Few more days till I can return to the service center, the 17th. Will get a loaner and they'll try to investigate what's causing this issue. Lets see what they come up with. I really want a solution this time or at least a good explanation on why this is happening. Been dealing with this issue for at least 7 months already. When I'll have the loaner I might test with it as well and see if it has the same issue. At least if I'm allowed to travel to Belgium from the Netherlands. They usually won't allow this but I work in Belgium so I kind of have to..

Had my service appointment again today. While there's still no solution right now Tesla did finally confirm to me that this probleem is indeed network related. So while they didn't even believe me the last time I was there they actually agreed with me this time, which is positive at least. They've sent it to engineering to look for a solution and they'll keep watching my car (logs I assume) and keep me updated.

I guess it's a good thing I did quite some research on this, and with some help of you guys confirming the problem with bad network as well. Otherwise they would've probably send me home again and said they couldn't replicate the issue. Cause they actually couldn't replicate it, even with the antenna wires disconnected. But the logs did show it in the timestamps I gave them.

Lets hope we finally get the solution for this annoying problem soon. :) If it's a software issue it should be fixed through a software update, otherwise I'll have to go back there again. I'll keep you all updated as soon as I hear something from them. :)

Not all all. Mobile ranger replaced my passenger side mirror assembly (without cover). Strictly mechanical issue - not software related. Been working flawless ever since.

I'm curious what problem you had exactly with your mirror? Because the problem that most people in this thread are having is definately not a mechanical issue. My mirror was replaced as well, and on some of the other members their cars as well. Problem is still present after that.

I've had my Model 3 for 2 months and this happened to me for the first time today. I parked my car at work and when I went out at lunch time the driver side mirror remained folded. After messing with the controls, rebooting the screen, and leaving the car parked for a while in a different location, the mirror remained folded (passenger side was OK). I got back from lunch, found this forum and read about the WiFi. A month or so ago I downloaded a software update while at work and so I guess my car automatically joins work WiFi when I get in range - it was connected, but the signal was week. So I moved my car to a spot closer to the building to get a strong signal and the mirror unfolded.

• Informative
Reactions: Firehuntah
Seems that more people are experiencing this problem now. ;)

Well I might have some good news, Tesla is already working on a permanent fix for this, no ETA though. I'm currently testing a temporary fix that they have with my Model 3 and it seems promising. They said this temporary fix doesn't work on all cars but it seems that it does on mine. For 2 days straight now the mirror unfolded without any problems while having an E connection. Will be doing some more testing tomorrow. Hopefully it'll keep unfolding now. :) I'll try to find out what exactly they did to my car, they couldn't tell me when I left at the service center but I'm really interested if it's software only or actually some hardware/physical changes in the mirror. I'll update here when I have more info and after I tested this some more. 2 unfolds working might just be pure luck. ;) Even though I've never had that happen before.

Alright, been testing this temporary fix that Tesla installed on my Model 3 for a few days now and the issue of the mirror not unfolding with bad network is completely resolved now. However, now on some occasions it actually won't fold in when locking the car, again when having bad network. So the problem has basically been inverted with this temporary fix. :p But ofcourse that's much less of an issue, it's always better to not have it fold in than to not have it unfold and not being able to see anything when driving off. Also, the only times I've had this happen now is when I manually unlock and lock the car when it's been parked for a while already. It hasn't happened yet when actually parking the car and locking it so that's good, much less frequent that way. So for me, this is not really an issue anymore. I have informed Tesla about this though and they'll continue to work on a permanent fix for this issue and will update me when it's ready.

So, if you have this problem and it really annoys you to the point you really want it fixed as soon as possible then you can make an appointment at your Service Center to have this temporary fix installed as well and see if it works on your car. Tesla mentioned to me that it won't work on all cars so don't be surprised if it doesn't work on yours. If it doesn't annoy you as much, definately wait a bit longer for that permanent fix to become available. :) I think when that happens, all Tesla's might receive this fix anyway whenever they're at a Service Center as all Tesla's apparently have this problem. ;) Or maybe only when you actually mention the problem, I don't know yet. Unfortunately it isn't just a simple software fix but some hardware changes so you'll have to visit a Service Center for it. It took about 2 hours for me to get it done to my Model 3, just to give you a heads up.

Update on my end (and another data point in favor of this being mechanical): Tesla replaced my side mirror 2 weeks ago. The problem disappeared completely and has not re-occurred since.

I guess their new revision mirrors work better than the old ones then. ;) At least I assume there is a new revision as my mirror was already replaced in July last year and that didn't help. Tesla also mentioning that my temporary fix only works in some cars I think confirms that there have definately been some hardware changes for newer Model 3's. Someone with a 2020 Model 3 has no issues with bad network either so it seems to be fixed in the newer Model 3's (I hope).

Good to hear it's fixed for you as well now. :)

About 600 miles on my new M3 and drivers mirror did not open today. I drove a few miles, stopped and restarted car and it opened up ok. Hopefully, this does not recur. Hopefully, jerks are not intentionally trying to break mirrors when our cars are parked. I turned on sentry mode, but am not sure what that would record.

I know I'm a few years late to this party, but I just found this thread by searching for the same issue. In may case, it's a 2018 MX 100D, and I never had a problem with the mirror not folding/unfolding until today, when I parked in an underground garage with no cell reception. This was the first thread that showed up in my search results, and sure enough I have never seen it happen until I parked the car in a mobile dead-zone, it locked (with walk away lock) but I noticed that the driver side mirror remained unfolded, only the passenger side folded in. So... apparently, almost 3 years after your original post, this is still a thing... and unless this is a freak coincidence, still has to do with the (lack of) mobile network connection. This is quite bizarre...

Just adding in here from Ontario Canada, mirror on 2018 M3LR driver side partially folds out. Simple toggle works to open fully. Cell reception generally good in the area, though weak WiFi connection where I park. Happens at home only so far. Several times. Never noticed this until I got the FSD beta. Perhaps a regression in that software package?

Been a while since I replied here. But for the people who still have this issue and it's really bothering you often, just make a service appointment mentioning that the mirror won't completely unfold/fold out while having a bad network connection. There's a fix available for this issue that will at least reduce the likeliness of it happening. It's been done to my car and I have it happen a lot less now. Though it still isn't gone completely, but it's a lot less annoying.

Best solution, move to area with great network. 😁