Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passengers in M3 alone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it? I've never had this problem, but also haven't left passengers in the car often. I've always just told my daughter and/or her friends to touch the screen once I'm out of the car, and there's never been a problem.
I did have it once. Left the family in the car for about 5-7 minutes. They decided to get out and go to the Hawaiian ice truck parked nearby... Made quite a scene with lots of folks around. Daughter was very embarrassed.

Of course software updates change features all the time... so...

This is how every other car works, exactly. Lock the doors, and then open the door from the inside and the alarm goes off. That's how alarms work, because they're premised on the fact that if someone locks the car they didn't lock a person inside and if the door opens when the door is locked someone broke out a window and reached in to open the door. It's pretty hard to change this behavior and also have a functioning security system

Reactions: Chile25
Just yesterday wife and I were in the car. I had a 2pm appointment, she had a 2:30pm appointment at the same doctor. I left the driver’s position with my phone as the key card. Wife stayed in the passenger seat with her phone having Bluetooth DISABLED (her fault), AC on, entertainment on.

After 30 minutes everything stops, as designed. Wife touches screen and everything starts back up. She opens the door a minute later to the alarm. Of course she was shaken and stirred! Strangely, I didn’t get a phone notification that the alarm went off until hours later.

if someone is in the passenger seat and they open the door, I would expect the alarm to not trigger, regardless of the amount of time that has passed.

This happened to me yesterday. I went to Target and left my girlfriend inside the car in the parking garage. I left her the key card and instructed her where to put it if the AC turned off while I was gone. I was gone around 30 minutes and at some point the car locked itself and the climate control shut off. She opened the door to get some air and all hell broke loose. She said she had tried presenting the key card on the reader with no success. I haven’t yet found the definitive answer to how to prevent this from happening. I shouldn’t have to give passengers Bluetooth cell phone access to my car to prevent this.

This happened to me yesterday. I went to Target and left my girlfriend inside the car in the parking garage. I left her the key card and instructed her where to put it if the AC turned off while I was gone. I was gone around 30 minutes and at some point the car locked itself and the climate control shut off. She opened the door to get some air and all hell broke loose. She said she had tried presenting the key card on the reader with no success. I haven’t yet found the definitive answer to how to prevent this from happening. I shouldn’t have to give passengers Bluetooth cell phone access to my car to prevent this.

You needed to turn on camp mode (which I believe did not exist when this thread was created). I am all for searching for threads instead of creating new ones, but with that being said, any thread about software features from a year and half ago is no longer relevant as far as "how the car deals with X".

Reactions: brkaus
You needed to turn on camp mode (which I believe did not exist when this thread was created). I am all for searching for threads instead of creating new ones, but with that being said, any thread about software features from a year and half ago is no longer relevant as far as "how the car deals with X".
No, Tesla needs to properly recognize keys. When there is a key card in the car, why would it lock itself? Clearly it can recognize a key card because it can lock itself when you walk away. It happened to me too: keycard was in the car, all occupants left te car, doors closed, 10 seconds later the car locked itself! Luckily I had my phone with the Tesla app with me where I could unlock it, but locking a car with a key card inside is a big no-no.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
No, Tesla needs to properly recognize keys. When there is a key card in the car, why would it lock itself? Clearly it can recognize a key card because it can lock itself when you walk away. It happened to me too: keycard was in the car, all occupants left te car, doors closed, 10 seconds later the car locked itself! Luckily I had my phone with the Tesla app with me where I could unlock it, but locking a car with a key card inside is a big no-no.

Walk away lock doesnt work with a keycard, so no, it does not recognize the keycard in that manner.

Reactions: RTPEV and Big Earl
So it uses my phone to detect that I walk away, even though I only use my key card to open the car?

Here is the information directly from tesla (teslas manual, on teslas website) not a blog or a forum like this one.

=================
(link to tesla model 3 manual on line)

(text from the website, bolded emphasis mine)

Keys​

Three Types of Keys​

Model 3supports three types of keys:
  • Phone key - You can set up your personal phone as a "phone key" that communicates with Model 3 using Bluetooth. A phone key supports automatic locking and unlocking.
  • Key card - Tesla provides a key card that communicates with Model 3 using short range radio-frequency identification (RFID) signals. The key card is used to "authenticate" phone keys to work with Model 3 and to add or remove other key cards, phone keys, or key fobs. Unlike the phone key and key fob, the key card does not support automatic locking and unlocking. In situations where your phone key has a dead battery, or is lost or stolen, use your key card to unlock, drive, and lock Model 3.
  • Key fob - The key fob allows you to press buttons to open the front and rear trunks, and unlock, lock, and drive Model 3. The key fob also supports automatic locking and unlocking, if available in your region (see Passive Locking and Unlocking) and can be used as a backup to your phone key. The key fob is an accessory sold separately.
Model 3 supports a total of 19 keys, which can include phone keys, key cards, and up to four key fobs.

Key Card​

Tesla provides you with two Model 3 key cards, designed to fit in your wallet.
To use a key card to unlock or lock Model 3, position the card as shown and tap it against the card reader located just below the Autopilot camera on the driver's side door pillar. When Model 3detects the key card, the exterior lights flash, the mirrors unfold or fold (if Fold Mirrors is on), the horn sounds (if Lock Confirmation Sound is on), and the doors unlock or lock.
Note
You may need to physically touch the center console or driver's side door pillar with the key card, and you may need to hold it against the transmitter for one or two seconds.
Driver's side door pillar
Once inside, power up Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal within two minutes of scanning the key card (see Starting and Powering Off). If you wait longer than two minutes, you must re-authenticate by placing the key card near the card reader located behind the cup holders on the center console. When your key card is detected, your two minute authentication period restarts.
Key card on center console behind cup holders
Note
If enabled, Walk-Away Door Lock (see Walk-Away Door Lock) operates only when you walk away using a phone key or passive key fob. When you walk away carrying your key card, Model 3 does not automatically unlock/lock.

=================================

So, No, keycards do not work for walk away door lock, and the car is not "sensing" a keycard in that manner.

How is the car aware of this?

Well, tesla should be able to tell someone is in the car, with the sensors in the seat, etc. That part I agree with. The issue is, there may be times when you want the car locked when someone is in the seat (but there likely are not any times you want the alarm armed with someone in the seat).

Still, they make you decide, by using camp mode or dog mode, vs automating it. I would guess that this has something to do with liability ("why didnt you activate my car alarm?" or something.

There is plenty of reason you might have someone in the car who doesnt have a phone as key active, but for now we need to use camp mode. My response earlier was to the person who said "tesla knows the keycard is there cause it works with walk way lock" , and my reply stating no, it doesnt work with walk away lock.

In general, however, I am not a person who will rant about "TESLA SHOULD DO XXXXX / YYY!!!!111!!!" cause thats just not how I am. I would rather try to find a way to work around what its doing that doesnt work for me, and camp mode does that. I leave the ranting to others.

Reactions: Big Earl
I know there are sensors in the seats ; ) I was pointing out that that car doesn't know someone is in it. The car just knows there is weight on the seat. I still think it functions correctly. I'd rather the car lock if I leave my backpack in the front or back seat than default to just staying open and on. All it knows is the key just walked away.

I think this is a bug/lack of sensing ability in the seats. I've had my GF stay in the car many times for up to an hour and it stayed awake with the screen on. She is kind of small and one time she didn't trigger the weight sensor. Car locked and she opened the door at some point, big mistake. Alarm went off and classic music blared at an amazing volume. I've never seen it since though.
Something similar happened when my wife stayed behind in the car, except she got Rap music. My wife is a non driver but when we picked up the car last month I had the Tesla rep make her phone a car key, just for this sort of situation, as she sometimes set off the alarm in my Honda. The rep thought it was a good idea.

If there was still a phone key in the car, why did all hell break loose when my wife left the car?