Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this is what the page would look like if they had not hidden that code:

http://harnebbenesaapnet.com/supercharger.html

image.png

Screenshot posted here for reference (my work PC blocked the other website)

I understood there were restrictions on selling electricity in some jurisdictions if you were not the power company. Hence many services charge by the minute instead.

True or rumor?

True according to Blink: Blink - Membership FAQs

Charging fees are set by kilowatt-hour ("kWh" - a unit of energy typically used by electric utilities) or session, depending on what is permitted by the state, and membership status. We are a proponent of kWh pricing because it is usage-based and EV drivers pay fees based on the actual amount of power consumed during the charging session rather than the amount of time that the car is plugged into the station. Certain states permit kWh pricing and others do not.

I understood there were restrictions on selling electricity in some jurisdictions if you were not the power company. Hence many services charge by the minute instead.
I've thought about this as well. I wonder if Tesla would have the ability to make the case that they're selling a service and not the energy. The energy commodity is free, but the proprietary delivery mechanism (Supercharger) is the source of the charge. Certainly sounds like a difficult sell.

I've thought about this as well. I wonder if Tesla would have the ability to make the case that they're selling a service and not the energy. The energy commodity is free, but the proprietary delivery mechanism (Supercharger) is the source of the charge. Certainly sounds like a difficult sell.

I just had a thought: Solar City. If they do merge, Solar City is already a power provider in most (all?) states due to their PPA business model. If Tesla superchargers fall under the new merged "Tesla Energy" brand or whatnot, they may be way ahead on setting up per kWh payments.

Just posted this over on reddit, but adding to the same thread. Basically if you go into adding credit card information, there is another hidden div with hints at more supercharging

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

OMG, "idle fees"!!! THAT would be awesome. Move your chariot when you are done charging or pay up! :)

Edit: posting image in thread for those at work:
image.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and Troy

As others have noted, this is correct.

But I don't think it's a problem. The scarce resource is not the electricity (which is a low-priced commodity), but rather access to the Supercharger. I think charging by connection time makes more sense anyway. This works for L2 and CHAdeMO EVSPs in every jurisdiction that I have heard of (though there are an awful lot of them, so there may be an issue somewhere).

This also fits better with Tesla's current model that you pay up front for Supercharger access, and the electricity is free - by charging you for time connected, you are paying for access rather than electricity. It is better at keeping people from charging from 90 to 100% when they don't need it.

Although reduced charging rates (from pairing, temperatures, starting SOC, battery size, local grid conditions, etc) do complicate it, so per kWh may be more reassuring to some customers even though what you really want to do is reduce the amount of time they are at the Supercharger. But the two are usually reasonably closely related.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC