Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the pws online. Paid around $40 us for it. I installed myself. Easy enough. There are couple of videos online about it for the more handy ones. No screws cam with it I used some I have around and they fit perfectly. They are Philips instead of torque but I don't mind. Tesla charge me $39us for activation of boombox. One thing that bothers me is that going forward the speaker made no sound regardless speed. I asked in the sa and they explained they remove the forward sound due to NHTSA some versions ago. I specifically wanted the sound due to the near accidents I had on parking lots. Reverse work fine.
Can you tell me what kind of screw are?
Should be M6 1mm x 12 mm but which one?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207_232711_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207_232711_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 292
Now an official retrofit:

£185

Note: The page says that you don't get Boombox, which makes the price a bit silly really. It also said it was incompatible with my car after I logged in.

Despite the above - I've booked my car in to get it done, and the book price was £178.50, and I've been assured that I'll get Boombox activated. I haven't been able to argue to get it done cheaper, but to be honest I can't be bothered sourcing the speaker, getting it fitted myself and then trying to get them to change the config.. I'll just pay the going rate and call it an early Christmas present to myself.

£185

Note: The page says that you don't get Boombox, which makes the price a bit silly really. It also said it was incompatible with my car after I logged in.

Despite the above - I've booked my car in to get it done, and the book price was £178.50, and I've been assured that I'll get Boombox activated. I haven't been able to argue to get it done cheaper, but to be honest I can't be bothered sourcing the speaker, getting it fitted myself and then trying to get them to change the config.. I'll just pay the going rate and call it an early Christmas present to myself.

Do report back... not sure what to believe really. £185 would be good with boombox, albeit now I've got a car with it, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Do report back... not sure what to believe really. £185 would be good with boombox, albeit now I've got a car with it, I'm not sure it's worth it.
Will do. My car is booked in for this Friday. It can be done by a ranger, but earliest I could get was 30/12.

The cost is a bit egregious given the speaker itself from Tesla is only ~£44, the 3 screws are basically free, so it's around £134 just for fitting and config changes. Still, at least it's warrantied I suppose. I was told it would take around an hour to an hour and a half, which seems long, but who knows.

Part of boombox was to change the horn to play what you wanted when driving, that bit was never legal here and I think it’s been disabled in the US now. The ability to play whatever when stationary however works in both countries. Given I’ve seen others who have had the upgrade say they can do the latter, I suspect it’s just poorly worded.

It is explicit on the page that it says it "will not enable the Boombox app in Toybox". I have seen videos posted on Facebook of someone with a pre-refresh console with the Boombox app showing on the screen. I would suspect that people buying it online actually will get Boombox enabled, despite the messaging. *shrug*

no no... if the vehicle has the wiring already on place, it will make a sound when going in reverse without additional sw when you add the speaker, but you wont have boombox enable. for that you need tesla to enable it. it cost me $39 for that enabling.

no no... if the vehicle has the wiring already on place, it will make a sound when going in reverse without additional sw when you add the speaker, but you wont have boombox enable. for that you need tesla to enable it. it cost me $39 for that enabling.
Yeah.. what we're saying is that in the UK this is a pretty new thing. It has only appeared on the Tesla shop (in the UK) today, I think. The Tesla shop link says that Boombox won't be enabled in the car after this is installed. There has been no retrofit procedure in the UK for this until very recently, unlike in the States where there has been an official retrofit for some time.

£185

I am very interested in hearing your report post-install. I have looked in the online shop and it also says it is not compatible with my vehicle (2019 M3P). I am almost inclined to order the parts and schedule the mobile install when they arrive, but the not compatible warning gives me pause. I have never looked to see if the wire exists in the bowels of the car, but the underside does have the cutout holes where the speaker would go....

I haven't had any pushback on my manual service request to get this done. I'd be wiling to bet money you have the wire tied up there. From what I've heard it's telling everyone that their car is incompatible, I haven't heard of one person saying/showing that theirs is compatible.

I haven't looked to see if the wire is there on mine either. I'm assuming the webshop is broken in terms of identifying compatible cars.

To be absolutely clear - I didn't order from the new page on the webshop, I just created a service request saying that I wanted it, and received a followup call about an hour later. The tech sent me an estimate which I approved, and booked me in.

It'll only make a sound the first time after a reboot. Then it goes silent.. it has to be enabled by Tesla to remain persistent.

Many of us tried it in 2019/2020 when we first heard about boombox, and the result was the same each time, and for the most part we gave up because Tesla refused to enable it.

£185 for just enabling the speaker without even toybox (which is a bit pointless but it's *something*) seems a bit extreme..