Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quoted $1856. Many other people have reported getting a replacement for the center horn as a goodwill gesture. This is on a MXP that has had the steering rack replaced due to loss of power steering that nearly caused a crash. I would have sold the vehicle already except that its value has been eviscerated by Elon’s multiple price cuts.
Well you have a few options:

1) just pay the $2k
2) grab a yoke off eBay (I’m seeing $400ish w/o airbag and $700ish with) and install yourself with toolbox ($165 for a 1 day subscription)
3) wait until your yoke peels (it’s an inevitability)

Salt Lake service center is refusing to replace my yoke because it is not peeling. Nearly involved in a crash because I had the yoke turned and could not find the horn button. Has anyone else encountered this situation where the service center refused to replace the yoke just because you want a center horn? My wife now refuses to drive to the car until it has a center horn.
yup very upsetting. you’ll have to step it up and play a little dirty when they do. there are many ways to speed up the defect that you’ll eventually get anyway.

Reactions: Maaz
Salt Lake service center is refusing to replace my yoke because it is not peeling. Nearly involved in a crash because I had the yoke turned and could not find the horn button. Has anyone else encountered this situation where the service center refused to replace the yoke just because you want a center horn? My wife now refuses to drive to the car until it has a center horn.
The waranty replacement is for defective materials. Here's the Service Bulletin

I have 69k Miles on my 2022 Model S and had one yoke replaced under warranty at 24k miles. The latest yoke started to peel at 58k miles and even though I was out of warranty, I asked to have it replaced but was told that they were not replacing peeling yokes because a new version was being released.

So now that the new yoke is released I put in for a service request for a new yoke and was sent an estimate for almost $1900. I asked for a "Good Will" replacement and never received an answer. So, I kept my mobile appointment and to my surprise when the tech showed up he told me he could replace my yoke at not charge!
I assume they did not respond because they want no "paper trail" of this behavior because they would have to honor it for others, but I am happy to say that I now have the new Yoke and horn (and silly little camera button) at no charge!

Yoke.jpeg

I have 69k Miles on my 2022 Model S and had one yoke replaced under warranty at 24k miles. The latest yoke started to peel at 58k miles and even though I was out of warranty, I asked to have it replaced but was told that they were not replacing peeling yokes because a new version was being released.

So now that the new yoke is released I put in for a service request for a new yoke and was sent an estimate for almost $1900. I asked for a "Good Will" replacement and never received an answer. So, I kept my mobile appointment and to my surprise when the tech showed up he told me he could replace my yoke at not charge!
I assume they did not respond because they want no "paper trail" of this behavior because they would have to honor it for others, but I am happy to say that I now have the new Yoke and horn (and silly little camera button) at no charge!

View attachment 1057564
Nothing to do with paper trails. You'll always see the total amount, irrespective of whether they charge you or not.

Reactions: zoomer0056
OK, so why did they fail to respond to three messages I sent asking if they would provide the Yoke at no cost?
If I have learned anything here, it is that Tesla is anything but consistant.

Depending when and where your service request entered the Elon Space Time Continuum, you will get different results.

My yoke replacement cost was stated at zero from the get go.

Think of Tesla ownership like quantum physics. As Dr Feynman said, If you really think you understand it, then you have no clue.

If you are lucky, the Tesla Uncertainty Principle might apply. You might know what you are getting, or when you are getting it, but not both at the same time!

Reactions: zoomer0056
If I have learned anything here, it is that Tesla is anything but consistant.

Depending when and where your service request entered the Elon Space Time Continuum, you will get different results.

My yoke replacement cost was stated at zero from the get go.

Think of Tesla ownership like quantum physics. As Dr Feynman said, If you really think you understand it, then you have no clue.

If you are lucky, the Tesla Uncertainty Principle might apply. You might know what you are getting, or when you are getting it, but not both at the same time!

I agree with everything you said, but am curious if you were out of warranty when you were quoted a $0 replacement?