Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who went from an S to a 3, how do you feel about it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2015 RWD Model S 70 with a sunroof, coil suspension and Autopilot (v1). So the cheapest, slowest, base Model S.

The one thing I miss is the massive hatchback form factor. Much easier for putting in bikes or moving things. But then again, I’ve not yet encountered this situation with my Perfromance Model 3. So a lot of this can be hypothetical. The overall size of the S is pretty great when you need to move a family and/or gear. I do not have that need. And you can still seat 5 in the 3, just pick skinnier folks. ;-)
Oh yeah, the S looks darn good. That design does not age at all!

Overall, the 3 wins hands-down, for many reasons already quoted here. In my case, I have a much faster, modern, capable car for about the same money, and for about the same efficiency (the AWD 3s suck the juice much more than the RWD ones). So you could say that I would the most likely to want another S becasue of those two facts (money and efficiency).
I would not trade my 3 for an S. This could be revisitied for some once the S get s a refresh, but not for me. I like smaller cars, so the 3’s size is a welcome change.

(On another note, I am surprised by folks that say they miss the smooth ride of the air suspension. I have had a few Service loaners over the years, and they were always air suspension: the immediate back-to back on the same roads with my S and then my 3 always made air suspension look bad. It is rougher in my opinion than my S’ coils and the 3’s. No question about it. The coils, in the S especially with its longer wheelbase, seem much better at handling concrete road surfaces, cracks and small bumps.)

I own both too. (2015 85D and AWD Model 3). For our use cases, the only thing I like about the S better right now is the increased utility of having a hatchback for our dog and the smart air suspension for deep snow when our roads are unplowed. But I've always gravitated towards smaller, more nimble cars. I don't have a commute and most of my trips are optimized with a canyon carver; and the Model 3 fits that to a T.

I have driven the S extensively, but own a 3. My take is that I think that they each have their own advantages and disadvantages but the 3 has the edge in overall daily driving or spirited driving in the corners, like Elon said it is the best value for what you get. The S wins in a few departments, namely acceleration and spaciousness. I do think that Tesla could do themselves some good by bringing some things over from the S into the 3 as optional packages (like air suspension, heated steering wheels, etc). There's no good reason to try to separate the S so much when it comes to little things like this if people are willing to pay for it as add on's. They need to get their lines streamlined enough to where they can bring these into the fold. They could work on improving the S to make it a better drivers car for the next refresh. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Why can’t fruit be compared?

It’s like comparing a Mercedes C class to a Mercedes S class price wise. You can buy two P3D for one P100D.

Totally different cars marketed to different segments of the market. Tesla has been different from most car makers in that their categories have been more fluid mostly due to the fact that they are selling a new technology, EVs.

Yup, they are all cars but so are Toyota and Acura. Looks like Tesla is becoming more like other car makers.

Interestingly, Tesla is top down and becoming more mainstream with more affordable pricing. Good thing if it wants to become a mainstream car maker and not just producing niche (expensive) products.

When we were looking at buying a new car, we considered SP100D, Mercedes S, Porsche Panamera Turbo, Aston Martin Rapide S, BMW 7 series, etc.... luxury full size sedans. Bought the SP100D. Love at first drive:)

Last edited:
The best way to do it (if you can) is to have one of each. A sharp-handling, efficient, easy-to-park 3 for every day driving; and an S or X for longer trips when you'd like something more comfortable and quiet, or you have more to haul.

I traded my S for a 3, and the 3 is perfect for me - but only because we also have an X. The S would be a better car for me if my wife didn't have an X.

Which one is "better" depends on what you need; there are trade-offs. Given production quantities, Tesla obviously expects more people to find the 3 fits them better, and that's to be expected given the price difference. But the S and X have some significant advantages that are important to some people, and that's why they keep selling despite the far higher price.

Reactions: MagnusMako
A few people have made similar comments to mine. I loved my P85DL but it was really too big for me. My P3D+ has equally satisfying performance but is more nimble and more efficient. Importantly for my spouse the front passenger has much more room than in the S. For the driver, there is also more flexibility in driving position. Frankly the only way the S had an advantage was in carrying capacity and automatic trunk opening. Otherwise the Model 3 wins in all respects for me. I very much like S, 3 and X for different purposes and still drive all three from time to time. It is very easy for me to imagine people preferring one over the others because they are so different. Day to day for me I choose the 3.

When the Roadster arrives I will probably change my preference.

The one assurance I have is that I no longer much want any non-Tesla.

Predict we will see these same posts and points when the Model Y begins to roll out.

Most people like best the most recent vehicle they have purchased. It will obviously be their most recent favorite, as that has been their latest choice.

My reasons for preference are different than others.
Model X was by far the least expensive due to tremendous business tax advantages.
It has factory towing capacity.
It has the most room for my large dog.
It is easiest to load kids and kid seats.
It can seat 7.
The huge panorama window is fantastic for countryside and National Parks touring.
It is so much easier for me to get in and out due to my bad back.

And Free Supercharging for life is just fantastic.

• Helpful
Reactions: dww12 and jbcarioca
It’s like comparing a Mercedes C class to a Mercedes S class price wise. You can buy two P3D for one P100D.

Totally different cars marketed to different segments of the market. Tesla has been different from most car makers in that their categories have been more fluid mostly due to the fact that they are selling a new technology, EVs.

Yup, they are all cars but so are Toyota and Acura. Looks like Tesla is becoming more like other car makers.

Interestingly, Tesla is top down and becoming more mainstream with more affordable pricing. Good thing if it wants to become a mainstream car maker and not just producing niche (expensive) products.

When we were looking at buying a new car, we considered SP100D, Mercedes S, Porsche Panamera Turbo, Aston Martin Rapide S, BMW 7 series, etc.... luxury full size sedans. Bought the SP100D. Love at first drive:)

I was just quoting a song.

(On another note, I am surprised by folks that say they miss the smooth ride of the air suspension. I have had a few Service loaners over the years, and they were always air suspension: the immediate back-to back on the same roads with my S and then my 3 always made air suspension look bad. It is rougher in my opinion than my S’ coils and the 3’s. No question about it. The coils, in the S especially with its longer wheelbase, seem much better at handling concrete road surfaces, cracks and small bumps.)

Everyday I miss the smoothness of my 2016 S with SAS (this was on 19s).

When my 3 was having delivery defects fixed (or attempted to fix anyway) I was in a loaner coil suspension 2015 model S. It rode pretty similar to my 3 over bumps, but admittedly a touch better.

I would take back my S with SAS over my 3 everyday. I would not take the coil S over my 3.

My 3 drives better. It's nimbler. It has a way cooler ventilation system. It parks more easily.

My S is bigger. It has a sunroof. It has an air suspension. It's AWD. It has bioweapon defense mode. It has free supercharging. It has greater range.

As a daily driver the 3 in nicer. As a road trip vehicle I choose the S.

This! The 3 is great for everyday. For hauling people and a bunch of stuff, can't beat the S.

Okay, so why?

She preferred comfort/convenience vs sporty/range...

Keyfob Passive Entry vs. Phonekey Bluetooth Issues; Winner S
Overall Space, Cargo & People; Winner S (++ older RWD frunks are yuuge)
Driving a bad-ass Go-kart @ 90mph vs. 'Bro, nice Speed Boat'; Winner 3
2013 Model S backup Cam vs. 2011 Toyota RAV4 backup Cam <cough> I mean 2018 3); Winner S
Seat posture/controls; Winner 3 (unless you're big, than S)
Funky Door Handles vs. Constantly Failing Door Handles; Winner: Tie
Range vs Cost: Winner 3 (maybe a tie if you have and often use unlimited SC)
Power Lift Gate vs. You gotta slam it closed; Winner S
Zipping through lanes like a ninja vs Scraping the front end all the f^(<*^&! time; Winner 3
Overall Driving Experience: Winner 3 (me) ; Winner S (her)
Two displays vs. Neck Cramps; Winner S
Vent Control Gimmick: Winner 3 <backhanded compliment>
Value: Tie

Final Verdict: Better off with a nice used S vs. a new 3 <flame on>

Bonus:
Influencing the UX and making it suck for S owners: Winner 3 (I hate you v9)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: immolated