Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perf gets higher top speed, RWD more range, but no love for AWD???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And FWIW price decreases by other automakers don’t happen as frequently or as close together as what Tesla has been doing with Model 3.

I’m guessing this lot of Model 3 buyers will have long memory and will be reluctant to buy or reserve a Model Y until they’ve worked out all the kinks and figure out what pricing plan they’re going with. I for one am in that camp.

I am planing on getting the Model Y and I plan to put a deposit down on launch day. I hope long range AWD will be available immediately. I understand that the price will drop over time.

Reactions: preilly44
For everyone complaining about the price drops... I think they are missing the tax credit piece. Assuming you are a US based buyer. the price drops are almost identical with how much the tax credit went down this year. I bought in August but got the full 7500 return so the price drop doesnt bug me.
I bought mine less than two weeks ago with half the tax credit from last year buyers. I’m a bit sore for not trusting my instincts to wait till March.

• Love
Reactions: V__2 and niray9
For everyone complaining about the price drops... I think they are missing the tax credit piece. Assuming you are a US based buyer. the price drops are almost identical with how much the tax credit went down this year. I bought in August but got the full 7500 return so the price drop doesnt bug me.

That's not true, the exact same car I purchased with the same options is $4,000 less today and that includes tax credit going 1/2, the only real change is that if I bought the car today I would for sure be getting what they are now calling FSD. Also my sales tax, registration and insurance would all be cheaper today because all of that is based on MSRP of the car.

You pay your money and you take your chances, I figured when I purchased something like this might happen and I had a car lease that was up so that's the way it goes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt L and MP3Mike

Yes, the difference is on the order of 2k-ish loss (if you were eligible for the full tax credit), which I think is perfectly made up for by getting to be an early adopter of a phenomenal car.

My config was 56k (with EAP incl. doc fee, but after premium connectivity for life went buh-bye) in July. Today the same config with FSD is 53,7, for a difference of 2,300. I got 3,750 more in federal tax credit than someone buying today. So technically a difference of 1,450 in my favor, with the caveat that I will probably have to pay more than 1,450 to get the as-of-yet unreleased FSD features.

Reactions: juanmedina
Hey, I felt left behind when everyone started getting their AWD and Performance versions. So a part of me believes it's about Elon rewarding the core backers. Just like the cast Model 3 gift.

Sorry for the others here, I'm rooting for you as well, but where should he draw the line for too late? He's already about to dip low in Q1 maybe Q2. But then, software is free to distribute.

Best of luck.

BMW is offering 4k in incentives for the X1 my brother just bought for our mom. There's one dealer offering 8.5k in discounts.

Supply and demand
You are correct and I see this all the time. Prices are fluid, some manufacturers offer 0 percent financing and rebates. Don't get me wrong, I would rather pay less, but that is the way it goes. I have purchased cars in the past to only find out weeks later manufacturers are offering amazing incentives.

Look at this way, if you buy the car today, Tesla doesn't guarantee that it will be delivered before the end of June so the tax credit will be less than what you got now if you bought the car this year. You are not losing 2k+ by the price change.
EAP is no longer an option so there are a few things that you got that the later adopter can't get. Enjoy the car!

Totally agree. I bought my AWD with EAP back in July for $59k. Same configuration bought today is $56,500 but that gives you FSD as well. So if I'd paid the extra $3k for FSD then the difference between buying when I did and buying today would be $5.5k.

My config is also $5500 less than when I bought it last year in July.

However, the tax rebate is also $3750 less than when I bought it, too... So I actually only spent $1750 more than someone buying now.

And on June 30, the rebate falls to $1875... Which means the rebate is lower by $5625.

Someome buying the AWD 3 in July will still spend $125 more than I did... But I've had it for a year, and got a cool model, too.

Reactions: SageBrush
Yes there is always a sting when you buy the day, week, or month before a drop, but to say Tesla doesn't know how to run their business compared to other auto manufacturers is untrue. What other auto manufactures do is offer rebates, finance, and lease incentives. Last year Nissan offered a $10,000 rebate off of their Titan pickup truck. There are currently $7,500 - $5,000 rebates off trucks and cars today, not to mention dealer negotiations. So its not just Tesla, it's just that the rabid followers here are laser focused on the day-to-day operations at Tesla, which often looks like amateur hour, but it is really just business. They are first and foremost a manufacturer and have to keep the lines moving.

As I bought a P3 last year, I have taken a somewhat of a hit (since I paid sales tax/fess on the higher amount, and some extra depreciation), not to mention my 2013 S85 just dropped too. But the S85 is the only thing over $5,000 that I ever purchased and have not had a day of buyers remorse. The 3 I had a bit, but not because of the price, but because it just doesn't hit off the line as much as a P85 does. Such is life.

So be happy you didn't buy a Nissan Titan the week before the rebate.

Here is a link to some rebates from last year.

The Biggest Bang-For-The-Buck New-Car Rebates -- Up To $10,000 Off

That's not true, the exact same car I purchased with the same options is $4,000 less today and that includes tax credit going 1/2, the only real change is that if I bought the car today I would for sure be getting what they are now calling FSD. Also my sales tax, registration and insurance would all be cheaper today because all of that is based on MSRP of the car.

You pay your money and you take your chances, I figured when I purchased something like this might happen and I had a car lease that was up so that's the way it goes.
Are you saying that the FSD purchased in 2018 is not the same as what the FSD option is offering today in 2019?

Bought my AWD non-P exactly 2 months ago. It's now $6k cheaper and even more distant in performance to the P. It's interesting how they've dropped 60 times on the P twice now but the AWD non-P has remained the same. I really hope they do something for us instead of improving just the lower and higher models. I'm even willing to pony up $. At current prices I would have just gotten a P had I waited, as it's now barely much more than what I paid for the AWD non-P.

Nice for you. I got the lower tax rebate *and* missed out on the price reduction by buying earlier in Feb this year.

Other models got that blow cushioned a lot more than the LR AWD is all. I'd like to see LR AWD 0-160 be bumped down to 3.8s and top speed 150 (not that I care about top speed). That would, to me, be a sensible place for it to fit between the LR RWD and the Performance, given the current price differences in those three models.