Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sick of people telling me I'm driving my car wrong...

Attached is a pic of the trip meter after driving today.. Never over 65, normal to slower acceleration, heat on 68. I started the day at 270 miles range View attachment 367159

That's pretty efficient driving, good job!

You say you started at 270 miles (87%). That is 270/310*75kWh = 65.3kWh

You have 0% remaining in the picture (I don't recommend doing this to your car routinely).

And your "since last charge" says you used 60kWh (actually 59.9kWh) on the drive.

So, the remaining 65.3kWh - 59.9kWh = 5.4kWh was used while parked. The Tesla numbers for the trip meter are VERY accurate and will calculate out to very close to 75kWh for a full 100% to 0% discharge but ONLY count usage when not in park.

I'd recommend being careful to not turn on the heat from outside the vehicle. If you didn't do that (or sit in park with the heat on!) it implies a significant loss for some other reason (it's 5.4kWh/242Wh/mi = 22 miles of rated range, which is far more than would be expected for normal drain.)

And limit your climate use. It's probably better to be a little chilly than run your battery to zero routinely. I would start with a higher charge too (90-95%).

Last edited:
Reactions: electrictorque

Attached is a pic of the trip meter after driving today.. Never over 65, normal to slower acceleration, heat on 68. I started the day at 270 miles range View attachment 367159

That's really bad, even worst than my numbers. To be honest, I am not even sure if I should try changing wheels to 18" at this point. I am getting 220-250 total range now that I learned a lot here (with AC/Heater off). But seems likely the best route to change for a 18" TST the only ones that fits the Performance brakes + Pilot Super Sports Tires or the 4S, not going down to Primacy tires though.

Not sure, will see in the next weeks/months as I will try to drive until 10% and charge 100%, do some supercharging to see if pumps up those numbers.

I do not have an enclosed garage and I see the same thing with my AWD M3 with aero wheels. With an outdoor temperature of 30 degrees, I can’t get under 300 wh/mi with the heater on and set to 68 unless I charge the battery for at least 30 minutes right before I leave (presumably that warms the battery and a warmer battery is more efficient).

Last edited:
Yea, I'm in the Boston area, that 30F has a LOT to do with your wh/mi today. COLD KILLS RANGE. Before we get into any discussions about driving style....is it cold? Yes? Then almost anything else is moot. Let's pick this talk back up in April. LOL

Fine.

I still stand by my argument that the range on my sticker should be able to achieved Jan 7 or Oct 25...

Maybe it should have an asterisk saying only April, late May driving, no climate control allowed, no fog lights, no phone charging, speed limited to 55 on highway

Fine.

I still stand by my argument that the range on my sticker should be able to achieved Jan 7 or Oct 25...

Maybe it should have an asterisk saying only April, late May driving, no climate control allowed, no fog lights, no phone charging, speed limited to 55 on highway

my car is at the detailer this week. I am in my wife's Impreza. It's supposed to get 27 city/35 hwy/30 combined.

back and forth on my commute today, a mix of city and highway, I got 23. It's cold out. There are too many variables for an OEM to say YOU WILL GET THIS EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE.

I guarantee you will see an efficiency loss in every vehicle in 20-30F weather. Not sure why you think it doesn't happen to ICEs, and why Tesla has to be held to a higher standard over it.

Reactions: hoang51 and liuping
That's really bad, even worst than my numbers. To be honest, I am not even sure if I should try changing wheels to 18" at this point. I am getting 220-250 total range now that I learned a lot here (with AC/Heater off). But seems likely the best route to change for a 18" TST the only ones that fits the Performance brakes + Pilot Super Sports Tires or the 4S, not going down to Primacy tires though.

Not sure, will see in the next weeks/months as I will try to drive until 10% and charge 100%, do some supercharging to see if pumps up those numbers.

220 is on the low end, but 250 sounds about right. Again your Wh/mil will tell if you will be getting the lower end or the higher. Definitely supercharge it few times from 10% all the way to 100% and wait for BMS to calibrate. My first run after charging to 100% after break in was around 250 miles, the second run I'm expecting atleast 245 but perhaps not more than 260. I have not been able to get below 290Wh/mil for a full charge, once in a while I do get 240 to 250wh/mil, when I drive carefully :)

Reactions: Dan_LA
Fine.

Seems like you made a huge purchasing mistake then. Energy is not magic. Your car carries around the equivalent energy of 2.2 gallons of gasoline. That's when it's full! You started out with 1.93 gasoline gallons equivalent energy this morning. You did a trip of 166 miles using the heat with that much energy. Seems pretty good to me.

The only thing Tesla could do to improve this and make things "magical" is to use a heat pump, but that would really only work in moderately cool temperatures because the colder it gets the less efficient heat pumps are. So not that helpful.

Tesla doesn't make the rules on how EPA range works. However, I'm sorry that you were not aware of how this all worked prior to making your purchase.

If you're running snow tires (assume so), for next time you buy them, look for a good compromise on rolling resistance & winter performance.

Fine.

Physics. Did you not have an ICE before your P3D? Even the changeover at gas stations to winter fuel is less efficient with constant temp.

Fine.

Drive the EPA test cycle and you will get the rated range. That’s all the range on the sticker means— on any car. You’ve heard the expression YMMV? Tesla can’t overcome laws of physics (cold air heavier, etc.) Your complaint should be directed to the EPA, not to Tesla. And if you think the EPA testing is unrepresentative of usual driving, you should see how the European standard is done!

Reactions: hoang51 and DR61
my car is at the detailer this week. I am in my wife's Impreza. It's supposed to get 27 city/35 hwy/30 combined.

back and forth on my commute today, a mix of city and highway, I got 23. It's cold out. There are too many variables for an OEM to say YOU WILL GET THIS EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE.

I guarantee you will see an efficiency loss in every vehicle in 20-30F weather. Not sure why you think it doesn't happen to ICEs, and why Tesla has to be held to a higher standard over it.

Again, I drove my 2016 Prius in Boston winters for 2 years and got ABOVE the EPA rated numbers. Maybe I should add that to my sig

Seems like you made a huge purchasing mistake then. Energy is not magic. Your car carries around the equivalent energy of 2.2 gallons of gasoline. That's when it's full! You started out with 1.93 gasoline gallons equivalent energy this morning. You did a trip of 166 miles using the heat with that much energy. Seems pretty good to me.

The only thing Tesla could do to improve this and make things "magical" is to use a heat pump, but that would really only work in moderately cool temperatures because the colder it gets the less efficient heat pumps are. So not that helpful.

Tesla doesn't make the rules on how EPA range works. However, I'm sorry that you were not aware of how this all worked prior to making your purchase.

If you're running snow tires (assume so), for next time you buy them, look for a good compromise on rolling resistance & winter performance.
As far as expected range, yes I think I did make a purchasing mistake but I love my car.. If it said 220 miles range I still would have bought it. I just would have had different expectations.

I'm on the stock tires
Physics. Did you not have an ICE before your P3D? Even the changeover at gas stations to winter fuel is less efficient with constant temp.

See my first response.

IMG_5748.jpg

Dan - It comes down to the fact that the EPA drove the car differently in their testing than you do.
That could be true for any car, right?

I know you got EPA or better on all the other cars you have had (not sure how you did that) but for this one except for the tire pressure, its true.

yea wasn't aware the numbers were for the 18" wheels. But coming from having to charge every 4 days to 2 days.. is a drastic change IMO. Not to say Tesla should have added notes on the miles, a new person might infer it has the same range as the LR RWD or others.

220 is on the low end, but 250 sounds about right. Again your Wh/mil will tell if you will be getting the lower end or the higher. Definitely supercharge it few times from 10% all the way to 100% and wait for BMS to calibrate. My first run after charging to 100% after break in was around 250 miles, the second run I'm expecting atleast 245 but perhaps not more than 260. I have not been able to get below 290Wh/mil for a full charge, once in a while I do get 240 to 250wh/mil, when I drive carefully :)

Yea 300 Wh/mi should be the goal here to get 250 mi range. Just had to call Roadside now as I saw many 600 Wh/mi spikes while driving carefully. They told me to power off car and reset BMS, they check everything's looking fine. But since it's cold car will be heating battery many times to preserve it, that's what is coming those spikes according to him.

Now car has 85miles left on the battery, I drive 45-55 miles per day commute, trying to get to 10% but feeling nervous as the range is not reliable. The graph average says 65miles range though.. Might be too close of call to leave it to 10% so I can recharge to 100%. Should I just drive around and recharge it? haha

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
Status
Not open for further replies.