Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a video of my newly upgraded P85DL at the drag against a P90DLv2 back in July. It took some time compiling all the data..and things like vacation interfered! :)

It was my first time at the drag AFTER the L upgrade!
All of the data logging was done in the P85DL, @llavalle didn't have the new diag connector for the P90DL at the time.

Although, we prepped the car with high SOC, Max Temperature Ready (and in my case, thoroughly emptied frunk/trunk), the times are not terrible.
The track is an old airport field cement track and they don't always put enough glue to make it as sticky as asphalt.
The P90DL was also carrying a (lite) passenger in all runs.
Fun was had by all!!! :D

Check it out:

The fastest 1/4 miles recorded on dragtimes was 11.224sec for P85DL...really not there yet!
When we go back I will use my 3 GoPro to make sure we get a good view on what is happening on the sides and the back.

That is a very nice video. Be sure to post your times in Drag Times as one person still thinks a 10.9 in a P90DL v1 is possible as more runs are made.

Not to rain on your parade, but there's likely more than one person who thinks that.

But go figure. There's also more than one person who believes that Tesla "lied" about 10.9 when they first stated it, and there's also more than one person who believes that dead aliens were found in Roswell.

Reactions: davidc18
That is a very nice video. Be sure to post your times in Drag Times as one person still thinks a 10.9 in a P90DL v1 is possible as more runs are made.

10.9 in a p90dl sans pano, sas, power hatch and other weighty options like MT used to average 10.9 runs with a 4600 lb car.

There I fixed it again. Odd that some people think weighty options don't have performance consequences.

Reactions: soooma
I think you're the one person he was referring to ;)

And here I thought he was referring to the author of that Motor Trend article.

But oh yeah, Motor Trend was in cahoots with Elon Musk when he stood up there and told that bold faced lie back in July of 2015 about 10.9 to begin with.

They had his back. And everyone knows it because 10.9 never was possible at the time that Elon said it was, right? That had to have been a flat lie when he said it and Elon must have bribed them to write that article. Yeah, thats the ticket.;)

On a serious note, if NSX1992 is not saying that Elon Musk told a lie when he said 10.9 in the quarter for the P90D with Ludicrous back in July of 2015, well then let NSX1992 explain just what he is saying otherwise, if he can, if he isn't saying that a lie was told and/or has been advanced all the way up until recently, as in a few days ago.

This cuts him off from calling it an early "mistake". Because were it a "mistake", why continue to state 10.9 all the way up until recently?

Last edited:
10.9 in a p90dl sans pano, sas, power hatch and other weighty options like MT used to average 10.9 runs with a 4600 lb car.

There I fixed it again. Odd that some people think weighty options don't have performance consequences.

Where did you get 4600 from??? The S85 base is listed at 4597 and the P85D base is listed at 4936. Has someone weighed a P90DL without a pano roof? (MT doesn't count).

Where did you get 4600 from??? The S85 base is listed at 4597 and the P85D base is listed at 4936. Has someone weighed a P90DL without a pano roof? (MT doesn't count).

Once again, we want to claim that 10.9 was a lie from the start or at best was "false".

We want to say that continuing to advertise that number was a lie. Also it would have to be deliberate, so it would be a concious attempt at deceiving. AKA a lie.

But some of us want to do that somehow without calling the man who initially uttered it and then allowed it to continue to be stated, a liar.

Not wanting to admit that this is, by extension, exactly what some of us have done and are doing.

When the rest of the world can not match the MT number that Tesla repeated at every opportunity, the MT number becomes a ringer car number. This is especially true given Tesla's previous (and hopefully returned to) policy of under spec'ing their cars.

For the record, we now have a production Model S delivered to a customer that has done back to back to back 10.8s. We also have customers recording battery V & I combinations resulting in over 500 KW peak which is getting scary near Tesla's original 690 hp claim. It just took around 18 months to accomplish.

Driving a P85DL.
Heard the 690 hp claims at the announce.
Heard the 10.9 second quarter claims for the 90DL and that we 85DL people would be just a little slower due to the older (as in aged, not design revision) battery and slightly less capacity.

The advertising points I am making are on point for this and other threads.

That said, if you really want me to go............

Read the motor trend article. The specs are a lightweight 4600 something pound car running 10.9. minimal options --> lower weight --> 10.9

The mt test car was sprinkled with fairy dust which makes cars lighter. Didn't you know that?:rolleyes:

Even the TRC P90DL weighed nearly 4900 and it has minimal options. Not sure why you keep referencing an article that most here believe is completely wrong.

Back on topic: My P85DL has produced 1520 Amps yesterday, per VisibleTesla :D

VT_1520A.png

I don't think Tesla is going to offer a P85D(L) to P100D upgrade. So it comes down to how long do you plan to keep your car? If you're going to keep it for several more years, then $5k for L is worth it in my opinion. If you're going to be temped to sell your car and buy a P100D, then don't do it. From a resale perspective, I don't think you'll recoup much of the $5k. I hope I'm wrong, as I have an early P85D w/plus suspension that I upgraded to L that I'd love to upgrade to a P100D, but only at a reasonable price. Perhaps Tesla really wants the used packs for SuC on site energy storage? Who knows. The current "price" to sell a P85DL and buy a P100DL is too rich for me.

I upgraded my P85D to Ludicrous and don't regret it for a second .... it may not get more on resale but if I was looking for a used one and there was a comparable one .... maybe a bit higher ....with Ludicrous it would be a no brainer .... :) The L is much more fun and responsive in the mid speed ranges also ..... and on take off they freeze the brain anyway .... :)

Agree on doing the L upgrade and have been happy with mine. Also agree that Tesla's standard wholesale trade to get to the P100 is way too rich given there is no consideration for early D owners. I'm on the fence for now and will likely move in a year or so when the new model flood slows and the bad taste in my mouth subsides.

Reactions: P85DEE