Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well if that is the case, then i would edit my statement and say that the range guess-timator has an algorithm error. It should probably subtract 4 miles of range when the max battery is engaged. A warm battery may be more efficient, but it can't make more range by using it's own power to heat itself.

So I picked up my Ludicrous-upgraded P85D from the service center last Saturday. I was only the 5th they did there, was shocked by the low number, am I the only fool to fork out 5k for this upgrade?
Anyway, the drive home was about 62mi (100km) so plenty of opportunity to test.
At first I thought "meh, is this it?" but gradually you start noticing the difference. As noticed in this thread already, the launch to about 35mph (55kmh) is about the same as a normal P85D but after that I notice a real improvement, the pull is much stronger and seems to last forever. Warp speed enabled! :)
I also did some high speed passing tests from 75mph (120kmh) to 125mph (200kmh), really amazing wow!
Where previously the P85D at highway speeds felt like a "normal" P85 (I previously owned a P85 for 2 years), now the extra push in the back is definitely noticeable.
And at lower SoC like 20-50% the pull is noticeably better than in a normal P85D.

I am really happy with the upgrade, you get to feel like "king of the road" by having this kind of power under your feet, its amazing! :)

Oh and they stick a cool underline on the badge as well ;)

IMG_1371.JPG

Reactions: benjiejr
Adding up the front and rear motor torque in that first second at their plateau levels comes up to just a little less than Tesla specs for the combined torque for the car. Tesla could be limiting torque to keep from completely blowing off the tires before there is sufficient update rate from the wheel speed sensors to allow traction control to work or they could be limiting it because the published torque spec for the car is actually a motor limited number. Without seeing CAN data from the MT "10.9" second run, there is no way to really know.

As far as I am concerned, MT is smart enough to understand that every previous MS met or exceeded Tesla's published numbers while in the hands of mere mortals. No one in the real world has gotten close to a 10.9 thus I give as much credibility to the MT number as I do to Tesla's. They are both currently a fabrication.

got car back yesterday. doesn't take long to notice the effects. hate to say it "transforms the car"... but, it kinda does.

definitely feels about 25% faster in all situations, which is a lot. it takes the violent oomph from the Insane's 0-30 and gives you that power at all times. THAT'S why it transforms the car. it's not about the 0-60 launch.

that said, the 0-60 launch was interesting. as others have noted, the 0-30 feels pretty much the same as Insane, but it. does. not. stop. so it makes the thrill of the lauded Insane launch longer, if that makes any sense.

but it's driving in the 30-80mph range (where we live most of the time) that is the mind-blower. it's gravity on a hair-trigger. even the pedal feels different. even MORE responsive. which makes sense i guess.... more horsepower / same amount of pedal travel = more sensitivity per unit of travel.

this is definitely what this car deserved from the get-go. unless you are in debt and/or need to struggle to come up with $5,000, this is a no brainer. dare i say it makes you fall in love with the car all over again.

as a side note - i got to thinking how great the P85D's are with the Plus suspension (for those 4 months!). Can we start calling them P85D+? because it's a huge difference. it should be noted. i would much rather have my P85D+ than a P90D. it's way too much power for the standard suspension. feels unbalanced when i drove the P90D loaner. heck it's almost too much power for the Plus suspension too, but at least it's fighting the good fight!

Last edited:
Sorry to be ignorant but what makes a P85D a P85D+

That was mentioned up thread (or perhaps elsewhere, in a related thread.) For a short time the original P85Ds were coming with a sportier suspension. After a few months of production, Tesla changed the suspension. So the poster was using the + to indicate that his car had the sportier suspension.

Edit: It was up thread. A portion of the relevant post is below.

as a side note - i got to thinking how great the P85D's are with the Plus suspension (for those 4 months!). Can we start calling them P85D+? because it's a huge difference. it should be noted. i would much rather have my P85D+ than a P90D. it's way too much power for the standard suspension. feels unbalanced when i drove the P90D loaner. heck it's almost too much power for the Plus suspension too, but at least it's fighting the good fight!

Further clarification:
DillyBop obviously took the + sign from a P85+ and attached it to his P85D, as a joke.
There is no official P85D+!
However, if I had a spare +, I would be able to stick it on my P85D, after the upgrade. ;-)

It certainly made me feel like I just got a new car. Nothing like seeing cars disappear in the rear camera like they forgot to move when the light turned green. highway passing is much better too, it gets it done, even more so now. I didn't think the car could get more fun.

Reactions: jbcarioca
It certainly made me feel like I just got a new car. Nothing like seeing cars disappear in the rear camera like they forgot to move when the light turned green. highway passing is much better too, it gets it done, even more so now. I didn't think the car could get more fun.

The P85D with luda is an absolute beast. More power, everywhere.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Where did you do yours? I'm still waiting, getting more inpatient after this thread. WPB gives no clue.