Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the performance is noticeably better with Ludicrous over Insane without ever touching the Max Battery setting.

I can confirm this. Charge was at 80-90%, no max battery and above 50km/h the Ludicrous acceleration was very noticeably faster than Insane mode in my P85D. The test drive changed my decision so that I am now ordering the upgrade after all.

Reactions: Jaff and Andyw2100
I just got mine back. And just had a chance to put it through its paces, both my wife and I.

The cliff notes.......Ludicrous....is Ludicrous.

Everybody thinks of the launch when they think of Ludicrous. To me, that's not what it's bringing to the table and what makes it worth ever cent they ask for it.

It truly is the highway passing speed.

Don't get me wrong, the launch is all that is said to be. Like Insane, but more relentless. Longer lasting.

But the "from a roll" getup, is the likes of which I've never seen without a downshift.

Passing is effortless, triple digits come up incredibly fast.

And I may as well add, I'm doing this in a 75-85% SOC. I couldn't wait to charge it all the way up before I tested it.

Last edited:
Passing is effortless, triple digits come up incredibly fast.

And I may as well add, I'm doing this in a 75-85% SOC.

This is actually one of the aspects of Ludicrous that I think gets overlooked a lot.

Sorka had some good numbers in another thread that really highlighted how dramatic the power dropoff, pre-Ludicrous, is at states of charges below 90%, and how after Ludicrous the power output really stays high at lower states of charge. Since we don't drive around at 90% SOC most of the time, I think this is really significant.

I'll see if I can dig up the post I'm thinking of, and post it in this thread if I find it.

Edit: I was thinking of a post with graphs, which I couldn't find, but I did find this:

I was getting 415KW at 56%. i.e. the power of a fully charged Insane P85D but at a much lower SOC.

Last edited:
As promised here are my results from my Ludicrous upgrade at Irwindale 1/8 mile strip tonight.

7.163 sec @ 96.19 with reaction time of .009 and 1.653 60' time.

This was at 87%, 70 degrees and just stomping on the go pedal on the first run. This is 0.2 sec quicker and 3 mph faster than my previous runs at this track under similar conditions. My second run with launch mode was 7.390 @ 95.85 and .583 R/T at 84%. Saturday I will race 1/4 mile at Fontana with 95% charge (supercharger 5 miles away) and expect similar results.

Reactions: benjiejr
That is what I am expecting as my 1/4 time was 11.546 so 0.2 sec less would be 11.3xx. We will know tomorrow. From my past runs Launch mode did not make any differences (except yesterday was slower) I will skip it in the future as it is too hard to get a good consistent reaction time. My third run was 7.327 @ 95.36 @80% with R/T of .106. As P85DEE stated reaction time has no effect on the times only can make a big difference between winning and losing.

My trip to Fontana Speedway had one major disappointment as high winds forced them to only run 1/8 mile instead of 1/4. My time improved slightly due to a higher charge but mph went down probably to the 20 mph headwind. First run was 7.162 @ 94.65 @ 94% and 60' 1.629. Third run was 7.157 (new record) @ 93.81 @ 89% but 60' was only 1.597 because for the first time I used Slip mode. I made 12 runs from 94% down to 73% with the last run 7.251 @ 91.88.

My conclusions are that Slip mode is the best. A slight chirp of the tires and away you go plus it is a lot easier to get a good reaction time compared to Launch mode. Ludicrous improved my time less than 0.2 sec but I was consistent as the worst time was only 0.1 slower than my best compared to 0.2 sec with Insane. I only lost one race by 0.08 sec to a modified Falcon drag car. The fastest Hellcat did 7.22 on drag tires. So Ludicrous does make the difference between losing and winning. I will have to make the 90+ mile trip to Fontana again to get 1/4 mile times.

My trip to Fontana Speedway had one major disappointment as high winds forced them to only run 1/8 mile instead of 1/4. My time improved slightly due to a higher charge but mph went down probably to the 20 mph headwind. First run was 7.162 @ 94.65 @ 94% and 60' 1.629. Third run was 7.157 (new record) @ 93.81 @ 89% but 60' was only 1.597 because for the first time I used Slip mode. I made 12 runs from 94% down to 73% with the last run 7.251 @ 91.88.

My conclusions are that Slip mode is the best. A slight chirp of the tires and away you go plus it is a lot easier to get a good reaction time compared to Launch mode. Ludicrous improved my time less than 0.2 sec but I was consistent as the worst time was only 0.1 slower than my best compared to 0.2 sec with Insane. I only lost one race by 0.08 sec to a modified Falcon drag car. The fastest Hellcat did 7.22 on drag tires. So Ludicrous does make the difference between losing and winning. I will have to make the 90+ mile trip to Fontana again to get 1/4 mile times.

Thanks for the update and for your efforts.

Just a SWAG here, but that 1.597 60ft time is going to be in contention for the record best for this car, if it's not the best 60ft time recorded for it thus far.

I can only wonder what that pass would have been had there been no headwind and it had been full quarter mile, on a 7.157 1/8th mile and a 1.597 60ft time, but I'm thinking that it would have put you in contention for around an 11.29x pass. When it comes to street cars on street tires, you'll be tough to beat on numbers like that.

On a side note, another P90D Ludicrous, has run a pair of 11.2 second quarter mile passes. The interesting thing to me is that this one in my neck of the woods and at a track that I am very familiar with, so I'm going to try and contact the owner to find out where he is charging as I know of no fast chargers in that area.

Last edited:
As promised here are my results from my Ludicrous upgrade at Irwindale 1/8 mile strip tonight.

7.163 sec @ 96.19 with reaction time of .009 and 1.653 60' time.

This was at 87%, 70 degrees and just stomping on the go pedal on the first run. This is 0.2 sec quicker and 3 mph faster than my previous runs at this track under similar conditions. My second run with launch mode was 7.390 @ 95.85 and .583 R/T at 84%. Saturday I will race 1/4 mile at Fontana with 95% charge (supercharger 5 miles away) and expect similar results.

Your amassed results in the 1/8th and the results in a prior video I linked to where another P85D with Ludicrous ran the 1/8th, have me convinced that the P85D Ludicrous can make it into the 11.2s.

That video was referenced in the following post
Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

It is also evident to me after comparing the time slips thus far, that the Ludicrous upgrade gives the P85D a bit more mph in the 1/8th over Insane mode.

Last edited:
Got my upgraded P85D back last night and took it out this morning for some quick initial testing. Sorry I don't have hard numbers like the folks above, but I would like to take it to the local track in the near future to see how it does. We've had some rain recently so my drive this morning was somewhat subdued by wet roads, but I could still tell there is a big difference between Insane Mode and Ludicrous Mode.

Here's a quick video if you're interested...

I hate creep. Today I went to a NSX club barbeque in Riverside and gave 3 members a launch. All of them said they have never experienced acceleration like that. For clarification I did get 0.2 sec improvement at Irwindale but slightly less at Fontana. Also my 1.597 60' time was probably due to slip mode as it is about 0.05 sec quicker.