Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance PKG via software upgrade

Would you pay for quicker alteration post delivery?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • No.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Leafdriver333

Somewhat Active Member
Mar 21, 2019
usa
since Tesla can make more money via software sales..
I would buy a performance upgrade before I buy autopilot.
I don't drive in stop and go traffic regularly and I have found during my free trial period that AP is not worth $2000-3000 to me.

However, I would buy quicker acceleration. For example, $1000 for 4.3 second acceleration. Mine is SR+ and currently does 5.3 sec.

$1000 for 1.0 sec improvement sounds good to me.

However, I would buy quicker acceleration. For example, $1000 for 4.3 second acceleration. Mine is SR+ and currently does 5.3 sec.

They could charge much more than that and people would pay it, but there'd be an instant freakout about how "I PAID MORE FOR MY AWD MODEL JSUT TO GET MORE ACCELERATION" and all sorts of other BS and sandy crotches.

$5k for 1 second? That'd still sell plenty. Plenty of people pay more than that aftermarket with their cars for less of a gain.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
It's never going to happen. Tesla customers flip their sh%t when prices go up or down a little. Then people will want support when they sell the car to prove to buyers that their car is a SR+++ so it's worth 27k or an SR++ worth 25k etc.

But yes, I'd pay more, but I think the P3D is maxed out.

Depending on the price & performance increase of course. I don't think there's much untapped performance left in my LR RWD though....

My wife owns a LR RWD since June of 2018. It was ~4.6s 0-60. Insanely fast for what it is.

Then, throughout updates, it went up to 5.4. recently with the power boost, it is floating around 4.8. It is still not maxed out.

The P3D's can easily hit 2.9s. I don't know why it hasn't been pushed yet but I'm sure it will soon.

My wife owns a LR RWD since June of 2018. It was ~4.6s 0-60. Insanely fast for what it is.

There was only a single data point suggesting that result, and it was...less than reliable.

Everyone else on earth was getting ~4.8-4.9 with 1' rollout, or 5.0-5.1 without it.

Despite a lot of people speculating about tesla "slowing down" the car later, nobody ever provided any data to support the claim- just a lot of "I feel" statements... and the few people who did objectively test found no actual change in performance.

The recent power boost to all cars appears to have not changed the 0-60 significantly (0.05-0.1 difference for most), but that's unsurprising as most of the increase in power appears to come around 45 mph and above.

There was only a single data point suggesting that result, and it was...less than reliable.

Everyone else on earth was getting ~4.8-4.9 with 1' rollout, or 5.0-5.1 without it.

Despite a lot of people speculating about tesla "slowing down" the car later, nobody ever provided any data to support the claim- just a lot of "I feel" statements... and the few people who did objectively test found no actual change in performance.

The recent power boost to all cars appears to have not changed the 0-60 significantly (0.05-0.1 difference for most), but that's unsurprising as most of the increase in power appears to come around 45 mph and above.

0-40 is definitely still the same. I noticed a significant increase in power from 45+ as you mentioned, which made my 1/8 mile quicker. I tested it on my other thread with actual time slips. The most interesting part is the two time slips show the same 60' times.

• Informative
Anyone wonder whether LR RWDs (especially those made prior to the production of P3Ds) have differing rear motors? You'd have to 0-60 test a lot of RWDs but I wonder if there are any out there that are significantly faster (or have more untapped potential). IIRC the P3D and RWD share the same rear motor. At some point they started binning motors to go into the P3D, but before that started, some of the better ones were presumably going into LR RWDs...

I cannot believe I posted the title with "alteration" when I meant "acceleration".

Porsche cars have like 0.1 sec separating different models.
Tesla can do similar thing even after they configure optional performance upgrade so that there is no overlap.
EV don't have anything owner can do to mod the power train like ICE car owners. No air filter, header, cat back exhaust, muffler, turbo, pulley, spark plugs, port polishing, camshaft, etc.
Tesla's needs to capitalize on this aspect of their cars-software performance upgrades. Don't hand them out for free. But make them available for purchase.
$5k is too much for 1 sec to me.
$1000 for 0.5 sec max.

since Tesla can make more money via software sales..
I would buy a performance upgrade before I buy autopilot.
I don't drive in stop and go traffic regularly and I have found during my free trial period that AP is not worth $2000-3000 to me.

Some of us paid $10k for 1 sec more accel. 4.5 to 3.5 (as advertised at the time). I'd pay another $10k for 3.5 to 2.5. (Now 3.3 to 2.3 w/rollout). :)

Then, throughout updates, it went up to 5.4. recently with the power boost, it is floating around 4.8. It is still not maxed out.

The P3D's can easily hit 2.9s. I don't know why it hasn't been pushed yet but I'm sure it will soon.

I think for a P3D to get under 3s, it's definitely going to be a combination of another software bump, and aftermarket wheels and tires. there are much lighter forged rims out there than the 20" sport wheels.

• Informative
Some of us paid $10k for 1 sec more accel. 4.5 to 3.5 (as advertised at the time). I'd pay another $10k for 3.5 to 2.5. (Now 3.3 to 2.3 w/rollout). :)
3.2 sec according to website.
You also get higher top speed and other exclusive stuff like 20" wheels.

I am only interested in quicker acceleration.
I would pay $1259 to have 4.8 sec SR+ instead of 5.3 sec.

3.2 sec according to website.
You also get higher top speed and other exclusive stuff like 20" wheels.

I am only interested in quicker acceleration.
I would pay $1259 to have 4.8 sec SR+ instead of 5.3 sec.
Yeah when us P3 Stealthers bought it, it was 3.5 with no rollout. Guess I was off by .1. Those of us that bought it didn’t want the PUP, just the speed.

• Informative
Tesla charges 20k more for .8 seconds in model x P100D ludicrous. 2.8sec ludicrous vs 3.5sec p100 non Ludicrous...which is 20k higher in price than non performance 100d. 1 second for $1295 ain’t realistic in their purchasing model, nor is anything under 10-15k.

If I could get to 2.5sec in my 3p but it cost 20k, I’d stick with 3.2sec. Some people would Pay for that though. I see a lot of p100dl in so cal.

Tesla needs $$$. So....

They should have a blind auction and sell it off in blocks of .3 second increments for everything they've ever made. They could have a warrantied tier and a non-warrantied tier.
Obviously, there would be limits and you might be offered nothing, to several blocks of speed improvement. Can't hurt.

Much cash would be raised.

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
Anyone wonder whether LR RWDs (especially those made prior to the production of P3Ds) have differing rear motors?

They don't.

We know this based on both the Tesla parts catalog and owners physically checking the PNs on RWD, AWD, and P model 3s- all had the exact same motors through at least end of last year.... (I think like one European delivery recently found a different PN but it's unclear what the actual difference is)

AAt some point they started binning motors to go into the P3D, but before that started, some of the better ones were presumably going into LR RWDs...

Other than one off-handed tweet from Elon there remains 0 evidence any binning actually happened... (and the fact every car got the same PN motor, and some folks got AWDs flashed into Ps at delivery, suggest it did not happen)

• Informative