Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what you're saying is that you basically Get the Standard->Performance (362->416HP) for $1500-2000, taking into account that The P->P+ upgrade (retrofitted) cost $13-13500.
there's no way.
Sorry to say, but I honestly think somebody somewhere misunderstood or miscommunicated something.
Based on my reading of the itemized list you dont get the 362 to 416 bump. You just get all the suspension upgrades. It's performance handling upgrade, not performance power upgrade. Could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

And actually, because of that, I wonder if it will be offered on the 60 as well, not just the 85.

Based on my reading of the itemized list you dont get the 362 to 416 bump. You just get all the suspension upgrades. It's performance handling upgrade, not performance power upgrade. Could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

And actually, because of that, I wonder if it will be offered on the 60 as well, not just the 85.

Ok, so if I'm understanding what they are offering , it's two different retrofits they are offering.

1) if you have a standard 85kWh you can upgrade to the P85 (which is the inverter upgrade) probably for around $12-15k (guessing, I dont know if they've stated price on that)
2) if you have P85 or were just retrofitted to P85, you can retrofit the Perf+ package for another $13500 (which is not the full Perf+ as it's missing the revised dampers and stabilizer bars)

Also, for the Perf Plus, it doesn't matter if you currently have 21s because the Perf+ has new wider tires and rims, which is the same if you wanted it factory anyway (you need to select the 21's for $3500 in order to add the $6500 perf plus).

So basically, if you want to go from standard 85kWh to a Perf Plus, it's probably going to cost you around $25-$29k and that seems fair (bc it includes labor) and makes complete sense to me.

I think you are probable right, but knowing Tesla the prices will change to whatever people are willing to pay and what the community feels about the price. Personally I think it's insane to pay that for a retrofit or upgrade. You are better off selling the s85 for a good price right now, maybe for $5k loss, and buying a p85 and not getting stuck with the $15k labor markup.

However, if I could get my inverter switched out for a reasonable price, I'm in. Thats all I want. I think $3k-$4k would be reasonable and they keep my old inverter for parts. No need to upgrade interior, etc.
john

I think you are probable right, but knowing Tesla the prices will change to whatever people are willing to pay and what the community feels about the price. Personally I think it's insane to pay that for a retrofit or upgrade. You are better off selling the s85 for a good price right now, maybe for $5k loss, and buying a p85 and not getting stuck with the $15k labor markup.

However, if I could get my inverter switched out for a reasonable price, I'm in. Thats all I want. I think $3k-$4k would be reasonable and they keep my old inverter for parts. No need to upgrade interior, etc.
john

Agreed. Just buy the loaner. Upgrade it to P+ if it needs to be. Done.

There has been a lot of interest in sway bars on MS and I've been trying to put my finger on why that is not tops on my list as well. I just watched a video (link below) where Huibert Mees talks about MS and, towards the end, talks about center of gravity, roll center and the bars. My first test drive impression of MS was that the car tended to push through the contact patch and not roll over it. Apparently Mr. Mees feels that this low CG reduces the roll moment enough that smaller bars are ok. My gut has been telling me the bars are just fine and I kind of like not having the head snatch problem he describes. Food for thought.

Watch Video at Engineering TV

There has been a lot of interest in sway bars on MS and I've been trying to put my finger on why that is not tops on my list as well. I just watched a video (link below) where Huibert Mees talks about MS and, towards the end, talks about center of gravity, roll center and the bars. My first test drive impression of MS was that the car tended to push through the contact patch and not roll over it. Apparently Mr. Mees feels that this low CG reduces the roll moment enough that smaller bars are ok. My gut has been telling me the bars are just fine and I kind of like not having the head snatch problem he describes. Food for thought.

Watch Video at Engineering TV

Thanks! Very interesting. You write "sway bars" but I could swear he says "stay bars". The reporter says "torsion bars". All the same?

Yep, pretty sure we are all pointing at the same hardware using different words. Basically, it is a bar that connects the right to the left wheel (one for the front and one for the back). The idea being that when the car rolls onto one side, the bar tries to push that side back up while trying to lower the other side (which is lifting). They try to keep the car flat while cornering. I really had never considered the pot hole head jerking thing. Keeping that to a minimum would be a good reason to keep the bars small.

I wonder if we will be able to get just he power retrofit?
Inverter and wiring only?
How much could that cost? Any they keep the old 85KW inverter to use again or for warrantee replacements. That's got to have some value. I'd bet it could be done for $2500 or less with very good profit margin but that could be bad PR because of the premium charged for a performance model and the need to justify those charges.

john

If a standard 85 could be upgraded to a performance version by Tesla (as opposed to you making a mod yourself), wouldn't the VIN have to be changed to reflect the performance nature of the car? I know that my auto insurance is about $150 more because the car is a performance model.