Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen body roll reported as an issue from those who have deiven their cars on track (or hard off the track, yes I'm looking at you Zextraterrestrial) :)

I think body roll is minimal. but I haven't had a super stiff car, just a '73 914 2.0 w/ gas shocks - a long time ago. hard to compare the 2, the porsche was more like a slower accelerating Roadster

the wider back tires would really help hard cornering. stability control kicks in (for safety of course:wink:) and then you remember you can't just floor it -all the time

where are the S owners who have the Audi R8's and other stiffer 'racing' cars to compare.? please

I think body roll is minimal. but I haven't had a super stiff car, just a '73 914 2.0 w/ gas shocks - a long time ago. hard to compare the 2, the porsche was more like a slower accelerating Roadster

the wider back tires would really help hard cornering. stability control kicks in (for safety of course:wink:) and then you remember you can't just floor it -all the time

where are the S owners who have the Audi R8's and other stiffer 'racing' cars to compare.? please
I had a 914 2.0 briefly too, but that was a long time ago. :redface: So I'm one of the R8 guys too and have tracked it a fair amount. I would absolutely agree with AnOutsider's assessment, but it really is not a fair comparison. I have also tracked previous cars I have owned, including a Jaguar XKR and M-B E55 AMG. Those are more similar to the Model S from a size and weight perspective. Both of those cars did not have optimal handling due to weight and suspension. I suspect the Model S will be somewhat better due to the lower center of gravity. I would have been all over checking the box for the Performance Plus Package, and hopefully some type of retrofit/upgrade will be available.

I'll get the Model S to the track within the next month or so and will be able to provide feedback (and probably some actually data).

Performance Plus Package
Performance Plus upgrades an already impressive handling car by stiffening key suspension linkages and tuning dampers to increase lateral stiffness without compromising ride. 21" wheels with wider rear rims and Michelin Pilot Sport SP2 tires channel these improvements to the road. The result is nothing short of amazing-light, responsive steering with minimal body roll. It's a performance junkie's perfect daily driver.

Really???? $6,500 option?? Really???? Is it really necessary to have this?

Just as with the regular Performance option, this is simply Tesla padding its margins by selling small improvements at overpriced prices to people crazy enough to buy it.

As a stockholder, I approve. :biggrin:

Bringing back the relevant bits:

Bottom line: If you live in a no-snow climate or intend to drive your Model S only during the warm half of the year, and if you are accustomed to uncompromising handling found in $100K+ sports cars, then this option might make sense for you. Your tire budget will certainly go up, but that's part of the price of admission with this level of handling.

Agreed. Throw in some AWD.

I mentioned to my wife the other day that AWD and a 120kwh battery would nearly make this car perfect for our typical uses.

I haven't taken the S to the track, but even comparing street driving, the R8 is FAR more grounded. It feels as if it's on rails, and there's almost no body roll in turns. I'll be honest, I expected similar from the S. I know it doesn't have AWD, but with the super low CoG, I expected it to handle much better.

This is mainly why I'd like to get a test drive in a performance plus first, as what Tesla may consider awesome handling may not match what I'm expecting from my own experiences.

One detail which has not been made clear is whether the 19" wheels can be used with the upgraded suspension in the winter. I don't think putting snows on the 21" wheels is going to be advisable.

Another thing to consider is that the Perf Plus Package probably incorporates a more aggressive rear wheel alignment for better handling. If that is the case, you can be sure this will be a tire eater. Remember the rear tire issue on the NSX? Owners were going through rear tires in 5,000 miles due to the radical wheel alignment which caused the tires to scrub the road constantly. My F355 Ferrari had the same issue. Great handling though!

Todd, yes you should be able to use the 19" tires unless they've done something really radical and changed the overall diameter of wheel+tire. I don't think they have: I think they're putting a wider tire on the back so the 245 number on the 245/35 or 245/45 number increases. Probably to 255 or 265 but that's just a guess.

Another thing you can do for better handling in snow is to go with narrower tires. Drop from 245 to 235 or something. I did that a long time ago when I drove a 5-liter Mustang in New England winters.

Good question on the camber. I think we'll just have to see.

So I was driving home today and thought oh yeah, suspension stiffness?
I did some hard swerving between ~35 and 45 mph to see how the suspension actually feels and it definitely does have some tilting for how low the cg is (and I threw my crap all around the frunk, oops). Not bad for such a heavy car and I think the ~50/50 weight ratio confuses my senses a little in a sedan so big because that helps the hard swerving a bit even with a little body roll since all sedans I've been in are heavier in the front. Really stiff suspension might be a little harsh for daily bumps but probably pretty fun. Nice to hear from the Audi crowd :wink:

Z I think I remember the description saying that the ride quality would still somehow be preserved.

I'd look to the old articles where they had one to teat with, but those are now potentially out of date and also hard to gauge since most of them gush over the car to begin with.

Has anyone heard any more details? Are the rear's actually wider rims or just tires? Suspension upgrades retrofittable?

Well the product description says wider rear rims so I certainly hope that is what the deliver. The wired.com review had Elon's upgraded car for their review but since they had no reference to a model without improved suspension that does not help much. Product description states: Performance Plus upgrades an already impressive handling car by stiffening key suspension linkages and tuning dampers to increase lateral stiffness without compromising ride. 21" wheels with wider rear rims and Michelin Pilot Sport SP2 tires channel these improvements to the road. The result is nothing short of amazing—light, responsive steering with minimal body roll. It's a performance junkie's perfect daily driver.

Has anyone heard any more details? Are the rear's actually wider rims or just tires? Suspension upgrades retrofittable?

If you go to Michelin web site and search for the tires available for Tesla Model S 2013, now there is an option of Tesla model S with sport package. The tires available are Front:245/35ZR21 (96Y) and Rear:265/35ZR21/XL (101Y).

Todd, yes you should be able to use the 19" tires unless they've done something really radical and changed the overall diameter of wheel+tire. I don't think they have: I think they're putting a wider tire on the back so the 245 number on the 245/35 or 245/45 number increases. Probably to 255 or 265 but that's just a guess.

Another thing you can do for better handling in snow is to go with narrower tires. Drop from 245 to 235 or something. I did that a long time ago when I drove a 5-liter Mustang in New England winters.

Good question on the camber. I think we'll just have to see.

I checked with Tesla Service, and you are correct. 19" wheels can be used with the Performance Plus package in the winter—same width wheels front and rear. Obviously, you won't get the same sharp handling of the 21's.

If you go to Michelin web site and search for the tires available for Tesla Model S 2013, now there is an option of Tesla model S with sport package. The tires available are Front:245/35ZR21 (96Y) and Rear:265/35ZR21/XL (101Y).

Not happy about this, cause this is exactly what I wanted when I ordered in October. If I can order the rear wider rim and tire than I will try and sell my current rears.....Ugh!