Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow barely got the car and they have a new package...def want the wider rears. That is another thing I thought it could use from the beginning. Shouldn't be too hard to swap out suspension bits. Will Tesla offer an upgrade to us directly? And it looks like the Michelins are actually rated worse than the contis at least on tirerack.com
Would be interested in this...

Tesla wants to compete with the BMW M Series. Don't know why because the car already faster than the M5. I have the P85 and it's plenty fast......scary fast.

I don't think any P85's came with wider rear tires. They were just Michelin's because they ran out of Continentals. I have mine in teh garage, so i'll check, but I'm sure it's all the same width tires.

Ah I guess that makes sense. I think this article is what confused me: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...nature-performance-suspension-walkaround.html

Though now I read it again and it clearly states:

"This Model S is fitted with the proposed Sport package, which includes 21-inch Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer performance tires. The front tires are sized at 245/35ZR21 (96Y) and the rear are 265/35ZR21 (101Y). But 21-inch wheels and tires are also available without the Sport package, and in that case all four tires are Continental Extreme Contact summer performance tires sized at 245/35ZR21 like this one."

Apparently I fail at reading comprehension. I thought the "proposed Sport package" referred to the performance option but the word "proposed" seems to imply it refers to this new performance plus option.

One detail which has not been made clear is whether the 19" wheels can be used with the upgraded suspension in the winter. I don't think putting snows on the 21" wheels is going to be advisable.

Another thing to consider is that the Perf Plus Package probably incorporates a more aggressive rear wheel alignment for better handling. If that is the case, you can be sure this will be a tire eater. Remember the rear tire issue on the NSX? Owners were going through rear tires in 5,000 miles due to the radical wheel alignment which caused the tires to scrub the road constantly. My F355 Ferrari had the same issue. Great handling though!

There is not enough room between the 21" rim/tire and the suspension for even cable chains. So to fit the car with wider rear tires the upper suspension would need to be replaced to give enough room. I think this would account for a lot of the cost.

I doubt they can retrofit it besides I already have the narrower conti 21's and don't feeling buying 4 new rims and tires, but I certainly hope they can because their are only two complaints I have with my p85. It doesn't offer some common tech such as parking sensors and radar asst cruise control and he other complaint is the handling doesn't match the power of the car IMO. Don't get me wrong I love my car, but I would of loved to have the option of a having a better suspension. I hope I'm wrong because as much as I don't want to buy new rims if they can retro it I will be doing it immediately. I sold some tesla shares at 44 so I will look at it like tesla paid for it :).

Info I received after emailing tesla customer care (EU):

We are delighted to offer an additional Performance upgrade for Model S. This option further enhances vehicle suspension and driving dynamics.
This option will be available soon. The availability of a retrofit for vehicles that have already been configured and booked is pending. Details to follow.

Performance Plus, Pricing: to be announced shortly

The Performance Plus suspension tune was developed with the driver in mind. The re-tuned dampers add a very comfortable, yet firm ride that help to transform the Model S into a driver’s car. The dampers work with an updated rear suspension, which boasts an array of new bushings that increase the lateral stiffness and help to spice up the back of the car without compromising comfort. The steering response comes as a direct effect of the dampers and bushings, reducing the delay between the driver input and the vehicle response. This brings you more in tune to your Tesla, and the road beneath it. To tie your Model S Performance Plus to the road, the 21” wheels are wrapped in larger Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on the rear, which helps the driver unleash what the Model S Performance Plus is truly capable of; precision handling that allows the driver to maintain a desired trajectory without any correction.

Below is a list of upgraded components and how they help to create the Model S Performance Plus:

Stabilizer Bars – In a typical “performance car”, large stabilizer bars can corrupt the steering and degrade the ride; but not in Model S Performance Plus. Thanks to our low center of gravity, we have increased the stabilizer bar size front and rear without the negative side effects, allowing greater body control and more predictable handling.

Damping – Tesla’s philosophy on damping is to maintain good handling behavior with good control, while also adhering to a supple ride. The damping characteristics available on the Performance Plus help to bring feedback from the road to the driver to enhance your driving experience, but still manages to encompass road undulations with ease.

Bushings – Tesla focused their attention on increasing lateral stiffness at the rear suspension to improve steering and overall vehicle response. This has been achieved by new and improved compliance characteristics throughout the suspension, thus allowing the springs and dampers to work more efficiently.

Tires – Performance Plus sports new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on a wider rear wheel, which allows its higher performance threshold to take advantage of the improved lateral stiffness of the car.

I know that there are still information pending, but as soon as we have them, I will get back to you and send them to you.

I wish you could get just the suspension upgrade without the 21" wide wheels (i.e. with 19" wheels). I don't want the 21" wheels and frankly don't see the real benefit of (even) wider wheels, but I would be interested in the stiffer suspension alone.

The part of me that believes that would ever happen died with > 1,000 U.S. market signature vehicles, no rear floor matt, etc.

Love the car, but Tesla has a track record here.

Sigh. Ain't that the truth. Some consolation here though, is that Tesla has been testing this since at least last summer, so I'd hope that it delivers. I'd like to test drive it though.

No hype around it, so should we assume it's actually pretty good?

Bottom line: If you live in a no-snow climate or intend to drive your Model S only during the warm half of the year, and if you are accustomed to uncompromising handling found in $100K+ sports cars, then this option might make sense for you. Your tire budget will certainly go up, but that's part of the price of admission with this level of handling.