Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This entire situation just makes me wish I had been either more or less impatient with my purchase.
Originally I'd configured the AWD LR version, then Tesla came out with that beautiful white interior.. and being in Texas with our 100+ days of 100s I wanted it, and at the time it was only available for Performance 3s.
After a month or so the premium white was released for the AWD models as well, but I was still okay, because ALL M3P owners had gotten FUSC (not worth it to me, but it helped the sting some)

So if you really want to talk about feeling like you got the short end of the stick, I essentially paid 10k to be able to pay 1.2k for a white interior a month early, for a slightly better car (10 mph higher top speed and ~1 second faster 0-60) o_O
I hear you. I fell for the white interior "incentive" too, but I don't regret it.
The "gifted newbies" get that cheaper now too btw. - Once again, sure pays to not be early.

But let's not get started on interior colors, or paint (that's another ridiculous situation imo.), or other stuff - that's fodder for yet another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: fyresoul
Yup. I was impatient too, reflected in my swapping a perfectly fine LR for the Stealth Performance AND if it were possible to get even a few tenths more 'as compensation' for the whole price drop nonsense, I would do it because reasons...
The guys that "upraded" themselves from AWD to P-stealth are going to feel much worse when some hacker, or hackers, start selling that software hack on the black market for cheap.

In fact, that's my favorite conspiracy theory for why Tesla dropped the P-stealth from the menu and dumped the price on the P+. They wanted to get out ahead of that inevitability...
I doubt they did it because of all the dangerous competition :eek: or any sudden lack of demand.
We'll never know why, but I like that theory. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: Drizzle
It has been exactly 4 weeks since I got my email from Tesla telling me that a $5k check would be sent to me within...4 weeks.

So far no updates and no check.

P3D+ here in case anyone is wondering.

I'm about to ask for my $50K check back for the Roadster 2 - bet that will take longer than 4 weeks, huh?
Corporate Tesla is a real piece of work!
(Stop all Roadster2 reservations! - let the gifted YouTubers drive around and iron out the all the kinks first! See what you are doing, Tesla? We are not completely impotent.)

Just sent this (below) via tesla.com/contact. Will also email to my contacts. Will also call the roadster2 customer support number.
Btw, the "escalate to management" box is now gone. Anyway, here it is:

"You remember my concerns about the treatment of "P-stealth", or "P-aero", owners following the large price change? You remember your response to me? You remember my reply?

Just some full disclosure: I have become active on two owners' forums: 1) Performance Upgrade Price Change! as "Roys3", and 2) Performance owners poll: Free Lifetime Supercharging? $5000 discount? as "RoyW", and a little on Twitter under my name.

I am also on the verge of cancelling my Roadster 2 reservation, and convincing others to follow suit: Getting refund for roadster reservation

You may, or may not, care about any of this - which would be typical of large corporations - but I hope that is not the case, for my sake and for customer satisfaction in general.

I ask that you address my (our) concerns, and change your current "policy" and unresponsiveness.

I will always support your mission, but will fight against any corporate unfairnesses which are unworthy of such a great car maker.

I'm a shareholder also, so I'm invested in "our" success!

Best of success!

- For what it's worth...

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Just sent this (below) via tesla.com/contact. Will also email to my contacts. Will also call the roadster2 customer support number.

"You remember my concerns about the treatment of "P-stealth", or "P-aero", owners following the large price change? You remember your response to me? You remember my reply?

Just some full disclosure: I have become active on two owners' forums: 1) Performance Upgrade Price Change! as "Roys3", and 2) Performance owners poll: Free Lifetime Supercharging? $5000 discount? as "RoyW", and a little on Twitter under my name.

I am also on the verge of cancelling my Roadster 2 reservation, and convincing others to follow suit: Getting refund for roadster reservation

You may, or may not, care about any of this - which would be typical of large corporations - but I hope that is not the case, for my sake and for customer satisfaction in general.

I ask that you address my (our) concerns, and change your current "policy" and unresponsiveness.

I will always support your mission, but will fight against any corporate unfairnesses which are unworthy of such a great car maker.

Best of success!

- For what it's worth...
That's right MP3Mike, most corporates would have a good laugh at one good customer's/shareholder's concerns - as you are obviously too - but you never know... If were them I'd listen...

That's right MP3Mike, most corporates would have a good laugh at one good customer's/shareholder's concerns - as you are obviously too - but you never know... If were them I'd listen...

Best of success!

- For what it's worth...
You should probably cancel your reservation regardless if your going to buy one or not.

Update: Tesla just replied -
Hey Roy, Thank you for contacting Tesla Support regarding your performance package refund. I am happy to submit your request and a member of our team will reach out to you. Thank you for being a member of the Tesla family. Best, Nina.

Me:
Thanks Nina - do your best to make it count! It's not so much about me. It's about a better company.
I like how you said "Tesla family"!
I've been saying the P-stealthers are "red-headed step children" so far (among other things).

Oh,oh - that was was from Utah! The home of Utah-Parker! Oh boy.... :eek::cool:

PS: I just re-sent the same email via my Account-Request Help page - with "Escalate this concern for executive review" box checked. We'll see. At least I'm bombing them. :D

Last edited:
Crap Roy, after all these pages, I can't remember if you're a P- owner or just a sympathizer
P-stealth owner, sympathizer, and all the rest - my first new car! - and first one over $5K. See why I'm so adamant about a $5K price change?
I'm still a forum newb - this is only my 201st post...
I think we're gonna have a good outcome - which will shock me! - because I expect the worst!

PS: The thing is - I equate corporate admin types with government bureaucrats, and I damn well understand the behavior of the later. Expectations less than zero...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: chrgra and adaptabl
Fwiw... I received this exact same email from Nina last night... word for word.
It’s nice to hear they at least received my request.
“Check is in the mail” would have been better but we’ll see what the
#ReacherOutters have to say.

Update: Tesla just replied -
Hey Roy, Thank you for contacting Tesla Support regarding your performance package refund. I am happy to submit your request and a member of our team will reach out to you. Thank you for being a member of the Tesla family. Best, Nina.

Me:
Thanks Nina - do your best to make it count! It's not so much about me. It's about a better company.
I like how you said "Tesla family"!
I've been saying the P-stealthers are "red-headed step children" so far (among other things).

Oh,oh - that was was from Utah! The home of Utah-Parker! Oh boy.... :eek::cool:

PS: I just re-sent the same email via my Account-Request Help page - with "Escalate this concern for executive review" box checked. We'll see. At least I'm bombing them. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Roys3
Fwiw... I received this exact same email from Nina last night... word for word.
It’s nice to hear they at least received my request.
“Check is in the mail” would have been better but we’ll see what the
#ReacherOutters have to say.
That's not good - I just now posted this on the other forum:

"Good to know. I expect they a have a few boilerplate responses on file.
My expectations are low that this "someone who will reachout" will actually address the concerns.
Probably another boilerplate response coming soon - but I do expect the P+ people will get paid - eventually..."

Typical corporate behavior...

The guys that "upraded" themselves from AWD to P-stealth are going to feel much worse when some hacker, or hackers, start selling that software hack on the black market for cheap.

In fact, that's my favorite conspiracy theory for why Tesla dropped the P-stealth from the menu and dumped the price on the P+. They wanted to get out ahead of that inevitability...
I doubt they did it because of all the dangerous competition :eek: or any sudden lack of demand.
We'll never know why, but I like that theory. :D
If somebody is willing to void their warranty and pull themselves off the software upgrade path they can go for it. This isn't much different than installing an aftermarket program or ECU on a turbocharged car. Only people with more money than brains do that with a car that is still under warranty.

Reactions: Roys3
If somebody is willing to void their warranty and pull themselves off the software upgrade path they can go for it. This isn't much different than installing an aftermarket program or ECU on a turbocharged car. Only people with more money than brains do that with a car that is still under warranty.
Good point. I don't know enough about software hacks to say how stealthy they are. If it's installed sort of virus-like or in a switch on/switch off way, then Tesla might not even know an individual car has it. I guess if the car suddenly goes 0-60 in 3.5 they'd know - but will their monitoring flag it is another question. I'm just speculating. Besides, people do warranty-voiding stuff all the time, and technically it's just an improvement, right? :)
Like I said, it's just a pet theory of mine for explaining the price drop. I'm probably totally wrong...

PS: I did some 0-60 runs in an empty truck-weighing station area. The speed limit in there is probably very low (10mph?). If Tesla monitors stuff like that it could void my warranty, no? Could be flagged as reckless driving? Btw. I can't get my car down to the advertised 3.3 sec. Tesla, you need to open my "juice spigot" just a tad more! :)

Last edited:
Good point. I don't know enough about software hacks to say how stealthy they are. If it's installed sort of virus-like or in a switch on/switch off way, then Tesla might not even know an individual car has it. I guess if the car suddenly goes 0-60 in 3.5 they'd know - but will their monitoring flag it is another question. I'm just speculating. Besides, people do warranty-voiding stuff all the time, and technically it's just an improvement, right? :)
Like I said, it's just a pet theory of mine for explaining the price drop. I'm probably totally wrong...

PS: I did some 0-60 runs in an empty truck-weighing station area. The speed limit in there is probably very low (10mph?). If Tesla monitors stuff like that it could void my warranty, no? Could be flagged as reckless driving? Btw. I can't get my car down to the advertised 3.3 sec.
I'm no expert but from my experiences dealing with rooting phones etc. the maker would be able to identify the hack and it makes upgrades impossible. (without restoring the original software and/or waiting for your hacker buddies to hack the new version) I'm sure there are plenty of ways Tesla can monitor their code for alterations.

Nah. They won't/can't void your warranty for something like that. You only get into trouble when you modify your vehicle or break something while racing it. Your 0-60 run isn't any different than merging onto an interstate.

Last edited:
Look what I got today when mobile service came for an unrelated issue. They carry these in their vans now.

IMG_20181204_120721.jpg