Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to push this towards 200 post, here is my newest email from Tesla; I have responded to them with my postal mail info.. Merry Christmas to me from Tesla I guess ;)

"Hi Julie,
I'm so sorry for the confusion that you've had with this refund. Per Elon and our leadership team, the process that we have is that all Model 3 performance owners that took delivery by 10/27 or paid for the higher price will receive the 5k refund in exchange for their free, unlimited Supercharging benefit. The refund does not include taxes and supercharging will be turned off once the check has been mailed out. The loss of supercharging applies to everyone regardless of if it was due to being an early adopter or if a referral code was used. We are also unable to exchange the refund for any other upgrades or parts

If this is something that you would like to proceed with, please reply to this email with a valid mailing address that we can send the check to and I will get the process started for you. Once I receive your information, you should receive your refund check within 4-8 weeks.

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience, "
Thx for posting. I’ll bet this is the final answer. Those of you hoping for PUP upgrade alternative should be investigating what gear you can get for $5k plus whatever you can resell redundant parts for.

Reactions: caskater47
I've been holding off on posting anything as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (including my own) but I've been working with my Service Center and my original sales team at possibly getting the PUP retrofitted into my car. I don't expect to hear anything back before the new year because of the holidays but I'm hopeful of some good news. The team has said they are very committed to "making things right" for everyone and I've gotten word that the "volume of affected owners is pretty small" which gives me hope that they will be able to accommodate such a request without breaking the bank for Tesla. This isn't over yet by a long shot. Will report back when I know more.

Aren’t you glad you didn’t block off your delivery center with your car? :D

Thx for posting. I’ll bet this is the final answer. Those of you hoping for PUP upgrade alternative should be investigating what gear you can get for $5k plus whatever you can resell redundant parts for.

Anyone put together a definitive list so far? I assume a suspension tune/drop isn't necessary. So really just big MMP rotors, brake pads and maybe calipers? I plan on getting the Titan7 18/8.5 wheels regardless of what happens.

I am still very concerned that non-PUP cars will be left out of future upgrades despite supposedly getting Track Mode anyway. If i ultimately am unable to get PUP myself I will be pushing for clarification on what future support on new features and improvements I can expect to see.

Aren’t you glad you didn’t block off your delivery center with your car? :D
I always considered it a last resort option. I've been working all other possible options so far. Thankfully the guys at the Service Center have been very kind but they ultimately have little say in the matter which is why I never went there to begin with. They seemed to imply they have no problem installing PUP right then and there but can't without approval obviously. One step at a time...

Why would any P3D- owner want to add PUP instead of taking the refund (or keeping FUSC)? If that's what you wanted why didn't you just buy it that way? I never wanted PUP and still don't -- that's why I bought the - in the first place.
track mode and brakes and other components, for the real early adopters, it was not clear what was included with PUP. Initially there was not even any indication that you got bigger rotors and calipers and track mode had not been announced. Initially it looked like all you got was bigger wheels and spoiler and pedals and red paint on the calipers.

Why would any P3D- owner want to add PUP instead of taking the refund (or keeping FUSC)? If that's what you wanted why didn't you just buy it that way? I never wanted PUP and still don't -- that's why I bought the - in the first place.
I am like you. So let me talk about other people!

My understanding is that some owners wanted performance parts but wanted to choose themselves. So they did not buy PUP. What made everything complex was track mode. Those same owners desperately want track mode. And IF the only way to get track mode is PUP, they want a free do-over on their PUP decision.

Tesla could put this all to bed by formally confirming track mode for non-PUP Ps. Sorry but I don’t watch Twitter like a hawk. Has Musk already reconfirmed recently? If so, I just don’t understand why a conversation about PUP upgrade persists.

Happy christmas y’all!

track mode and brakes and other components, for the real early adopters, it was not clear what was included with PUP. Initially there was not even any indication that you got bigger rotors and calipers and track mode had not been announced. Initially it looked like all you got was bigger wheels and spoiler and pedals and red paint on the calipers.
This!

When I ordered my car back in June the only description PUP had was "big wheels, painted brakes and a spoiler". I (wrongly) assumed that any Performance model car competing at the 65k price tag would have upgraded parts beyond lower models. Why else would Tesla compare it to an Audi, BMW et al if it didn't ? At the time I tried to confirm as much with the sales rep and they equally weren't certain of what it came with. I made a choice based on the information I did have.

What I didn't plan on was how Tesla essentially started to treat non PUP owners as less than a P3D. So me wanting PUP now is as much about me wanting the parts I thought I was getting in the first place as it is a insurance plan to ensure the long term support and value of the car I paid a lot of money for.

Reactions: dww12
My reason for stealth was not wanting 20" rims or the tires, nice as they might be, they were not realistic for my driving reality. That said, the MPP rotors (as example) will be all I'm likely to 'need' (ok maybe brake pads) if the track occasion presents itself. Otherwise, my 3 is just perfect. I added amazon-sourced aluminum pedal covers because I feel like the stock black pedals just didn't fit the rest of the interior and a mat finish on the center console (dogs scratch things). The last I would have done no matter what..

So, now that we are all offered $5,000, who here has pulled the trigger to accept it, and who is now nervous that accepting the $5,000 will preclude them from a PUP retrofit? Since stealthers didn’t get track mode, what if we can’t get a hypothetical ludicrous mode?

Gah the mental gymnastics!

I sent my address for the check; my plan is some $TSLA stock but first some MPP rotors, question is do I do all 4 or just fronts..

All performance cars are targeted for track mode. My guess is good programmers will be adapting to a variety of conditions anyway. If the car has brake temp sensors and other smart bits, it will know stock vs race pads etc and can behave accordingly... hoping they are thinking that way when coding it up..

"Hi Julie,
I'm so sorry for the confusion that you've had with this refund. Per Elon and our leadership team, the process that we have is that all Model 3 performance owners that took delivery by 10/27 or paid for the higher price will receive the 5k refund in exchange for their free, unlimited Supercharging benefit. The refund does not include taxes and supercharging will be turned off once the check has been mailed out. The loss of supercharging applies to everyone regardless of if it was due to being an early adopter or if a referral code was used. We are also unable to exchange the refund for any other upgrades or parts

Ok, just seeing this. Since having a P3D- ordered June 27 and not wanting a lower chassis or non-aero covers did not want the PUO which seemed mostly cosmetic at the time. Has this been confirmed from another source to apply to those ordering like me?

Ok, just seeing this. Since having a P3D- ordered June 27 and not wanting a lower chassis or non-aero covers did not want the PUO which seemed mostly cosmetic at the time. Has this been confirmed from another source to apply to those ordering like me?
Yes 5k refund eligibility for non PUP owners is confirmed and announced by Musk himself on Twitter.

Reactions: whatthe2
So, now that we are all offered $5,000, who here has pulled the trigger to accept it, and who is now nervous that accepting the $5,000 will preclude them from a PUP retrofit? Since stealthers didn’t get track mode, what if we can’t get a hypothetical ludicrous mode?

Gah the mental gymnastics!
I got my email confirming I will be able to get the 5k in exchange for supercharging. I think I'll just fix my house with the 5k and be happy with the car as it is for now.

I am like you. So let me talk about other people!

My understanding is that some owners wanted performance parts but wanted to choose themselves. So they did not buy PUP. What made everything complex was track mode. Those same owners desperately want track mode. And IF the only way to get track mode is PUP, they want a free do-over on their PUP decision.

Tesla could put this all to bed by formally confirming track mode for non-PUP Ps. Sorry but I don’t watch Twitter like a hawk. Has Musk already reconfirmed recently? If so, I just don’t understand why a conversation about PUP upgrade persists.

Happy christmas y’all!
Elon did confirm Track Mode for all P models but it was a Twitter confirmation and those sometime go unfulfilled.

I've been holding off on posting anything as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (including my own) but I've been working with my Service Center and my original sales team at possibly getting the PUP retrofitted into my car. I don't expect to hear anything back before the new year because of the holidays but I'm hopeful of some good news. The team has said they are very committed to "making things right" for everyone and I've gotten word that the "volume of affected owners is pretty small" which gives me hope that they will be able to accommodate such a request without breaking the bank for Tesla. This isn't over yet by a long shot. Will report back when I know more.
Please let us know when something happens.. would love to possibly upgrade