Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd agree with you except the stock front rotors are undersized. Yes, yes yes yes I know the tires stop the car, but the rotors create braking modulation and dissipate heat. If the rotor is undersized, it gives you that feeling where you slam on the pedal and it just doesn't bite. Like other people have said previously, it's because they were counting on using regen most of the time, and even with the P brakes that's what I try to do. But the car is a rocket ship, sometimes you want to let loose and you may find yourself not coming up short when it matters.

Totally agree. They are undersized for the HP of the car. But that still only matters if you are repeatedly stopping the car from high speeds at a high rate of braking. It won't matter in daily driving at all. For tracking, it is absolutely necessary. Anyway... we are going to derail this thread quickly.

You may not have the right springs lol. When I get my car back I'm gonna check all the part numbers because what i also suspect is the reason for this sudden move is the assemblers were mismatching parts between the P- and P+.

Haha maybe, but i doubt it. Just had the wheels off the other day and i saw the "P" label on many parts. Compared to the OG Gen 1 Model 3 ('17 version), the new ones are WAY softer. The original suspension was super tight and some would say harsh, but i miss it :(

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Sorry, I was emulating the trolling of some people on this thread, no hate. But if I had a nickel every time I read the 20 inch wheels are boat anchors, even though there's a four pound difference between the two wheel and tire sets, I'd be able to not worry about that five grand.
That was a good one! But your troll timing is off ;) You gotta do it when the thread is red hot, when all the eyeballs are on it. Admittedly I myself fail miserably in this dept.

I wouldn't call it a fake Performance but it did seemingly lose its identify in the span from morning to afternoon.

Haha maybe, but i doubt it. Just had the wheels off the other day and i saw the "P" label on many parts. Compared to the OG Gen 1 Model 3 ('17 version), the new ones are WAY softer. The original suspension was super tight and some would say harsh, but i miss it :(

Gen 1 got all the good stuff, alcantara headliner, tight suspension, orange back roof, firmer seats. My springs say P on them too, but they are definitely different part number than the catalog, and what others have reported.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Gen 1 got all the good stuff, alcantara headliner, tight suspension, orange back roof, firmer seats. My springs say P on them too, but they are definitely different part number than the catalog, and what others have reported.

Hmm ill check again. Also, the gen 1 seats were firmer but I would DEFINITELY take the new ones over them any day of the week, and i'm someone who doesn't mind a firm ride.

I paid over $44K for an early Chevy Volt. Just sayin'. :p It is what it is, best not to get too upset about it.

I hear you, but I'll just make a counterpoint. I made a deposit a year and a half ago knowing it could be years before I got my car. It wasn't even on my radar when I got the email to configure. But everyone got the same email and then there was no deposit needed. I could've waited even longer but I got a call where they made me pick up the car with 200 other people on the same day. They are just now getting around to fixing the b-stock car they pushed out. It's not like I was trying to get the first M3 off the line.

Did you have to loan GM $1000 for over a year? Did you have to wait 4 months to get your car? Did MSRP drop 5k a week later, but mostly for the people that didn't put down deposits?

A few stories about my Volt:
  • Put $500 down on a 2012 Volt (for the CA-HOV capable model ETA May 2012) on Nov. 2011.
  • Picked a pre-HOV Volt with $6000 off MSRP on Feb. of 2012.
Sooooo.....yes GM held on my $500 for at least 3-4 months with an expected delivery of 6 months. I still didn't get my HOV Volt. I also saved $6000 versus someone who probably bought their Volt a few months earlier.

I didn't put down my $1000 until April of this year, configured June, and delivered September.

So....Tesla is par for course?

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
A few stories about my Volt:
  • Put $500 down on a 2012 Volt (for the CA-HOV capable model ETA May 2012) on Nov. 2011.
  • Picked a pre-HOV Volt with $6000 off MSRP on Feb. of 2012.
Sooooo.....yes GM held on my $500 for at least 3-4 months with an expected delivery of 6 months. I still didn't get my HOV Volt. I also saved $6000 versus someone who probably bought their Volt a few months earlier.

I didn't put down my $1000 until April of this year, configured June, and delivered September.

So....Tesla is par for course?
So your of of them guys that didn't have to wait very long :p. I waited a year longer than you and got my car a month after. My delivery still isn't completed (Still has to go back to the service center and body shop) and I'm out the $5000 for the PUP and $500 on the white seats. Your not making me feel any better!

Also $500 for 3-4 months is way less that $1000 for a year and a half plus an additional $2500 for 4 months. And your saying you may have saved 6k over MSRP for cars purchased several months earlier, while I'm losing $5.5k in a week. Plus who pays MSRP for a chevy? Point is I think this translates closer to, "I waited so I wouldn't have to pay MSRP" but I doubt the dealer price or invoice price was actually reduced 6k after 3 months.

With the telsa everything is a magnitude greater.

If they decided to deliver me the car a week later I would have received a $5k credit. The timing was not up to me in any way. While I accept everything they did as legitimate and legal I will never be happy about this and feel pretty taken advantage of. Not a great buying experience in any way. Part of it is what you just described above (you were able to jump the line), nothing against you personally, but the whole reservation thing was screwy and this slap in the face at the end of delivery just tops it all off.

Can you tell I'm still pissed off yet? :D

Last edited:
I was a day one pre-order. Waited in line for hours to be one of the first. Then waited for AWD after initial release. I was surprised and elated when they announced the Performance model. So I ordered that as soon as I got the email to configure.

Did any other day one pre-order folks buy the P3D?

So your of of them guys that didn't have to wait very long :p. I waited a year longer than you and got my car a month after. My delivery still isn't completed (Still has to go back to the service center and body shop) and I'm out the $5000 for the PUP and $500 on the white seats. Your not making me feel any better!

Also $500 for 3-4 months is way less that $1000 for a year and a half plus an additional $2500 for 4 months. And your saying you may have saved 6k over cars purchased several months earlier, while I'm losing $5.5k in a week.

LoL sorry. If it makes you feel any better, they did take my money in August, and made me wait a whole month and still canceled me on my 3rd delivery date. It was only with the help with fellow forum owners, an LA times article, that I was even able to get my car in the condition I did. Went to the delivery center to complain on my 3rd delivery cancelllation, and picked up a demo car instead....

My car still has issues, but not due to Tesla's fault (but rather the detailer....)....soo still trying to stop worrying about it.

I was a day one pre-order. Waited in line for hours to be one of the first. Then waited for AWD after initial release. I was surprised and elated when they announced the Performance model. So I ordered that as soon as I got the email to configure.

Did any other day one pre-order folks buy the P3D?

Plenty did AFAIK.

LoL sorry. If it makes you feel any better, they did take my money in August, and made me wait a whole month and still canceled me on my 3rd delivery date. It was only with the help with fellow forum owners, an LA times article, that I was even able to get my car in the condition I did. Went to the delivery center to complain on my 3rd delivery cancelllation, and picked up a demo car instead....

My car still has issues, but not due to Tesla's fault (but rather the detailer....)....soo still trying to stop worrying about it.

Plenty did AFAIK.

No your delivery pains do not make me feel better, they make me more sad and more angry!

Maybe tesla can send me a traded in used high mileage volt to stop the pain.

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
Called Tesla this morning (owner accounts dept / 40 min wait) and they stated that they don't have any word from above on how they will proceed with the 5K issues. They are aware of Elon's tweets and claim higher management is currently hashing out how they want to handle this and what options will be given to whom. For now, nothing is being offered so anything you hear otherwise is speculation.

that is not what i heard from Telsa. I heard I was gettign $5k