Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone received any solid information regarding either upgrades or refunds yet?

I was originally scheduled to take delivery of my car on Oct 17th but Tesla reassigned my VIN to someone else. (I'm still waiting for another VIN). Since then both the white interior (-$500) and performance package ($-5000) price changes have occurred. Yesterday I got a "Confirming your Model 3 update" email which was an unlabled adjustment of -$500 which I'm assuming was for the change for the cost of the white interior. So it feels like it's likely that I'll see a -$5000 adjustment for the performance package soon as well.

Granted this is more relevant to people who ordered their vehicles before the price changes but have not received them yet, but I'm sure I'm not the only person in that boat.

Good Lord, we need a small database to keep up with all the things Tesla is supposed to owe people via tweet. :)

The My Tesla account page for this vehicle still shows pay-per-use supercharging, so if this is the case, it hasn't been applied yet.

I've had FUSC since I received my P3D in August and my account still shows pay-per-use. I use SuperCharging weekly, however, and have never paid a cent, so I have just let it go.

As before I don't believe anyone knows for sure and the above would not be fair if some get and some don't

:) life is not fair. I ordered my car before we even need a referral code to get free supercharging but my understanding is you can have one or the other but not both. Is better something than nothing even if is not fair.

For P3D- owners I wonder if they really give us the option to get our cars updated to PUP by giving up free supercharging; if we choose that route I imagine we should be able to keep the 18" wheels, calipers and rotors and other related hardware..... if not that doesn't seem fair :p.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I've had FUSC since I received my P3D in August and my account still shows pay-per-use. I use SuperCharging weekly, however, and have never paid a cent, so I have just let it go.

This reminds me of my gardener. He charges me about $30 more per month than we negotiated. So for the last six months+ I have just been paying the negotiated amount regardless of what the invoice says. So far so good. One of these days it may come back to bite me, though.o_O

For P3D- owners I wonder if they really give us the option to get our cars updated to PUP by giving up free supercharging; .

If I were Elon I wouldn't give the discount to anyone that put a minus in their car description! ;)

So since my car is simply an AWD+ I for sure need free supercharging, 5k refund and whatever else I can think of!

:) life is not fair.

Fair or not, it's easy to see as a slap in the face of early adopters who paid the higher price to watch it drop in such a short window of time. Like with the AWD pricing and the paint pricing, some of this makes you wonder ...

Well the website still shows Performance with an optional add-on.. Maybe Elon totally change his mind again :)

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at Oct 31, 1.06.47 PM .png

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at Oct 31, 1.07.02 PM .png

I have to say I am one of those P3D+ buyers that spent countless hours researching about the model 3 before taking delivery with some faith on Sept 28th. Less than a month later this $5000 drop occurred. There were enough delivery shenanigans and poor services like not getting the registration paper in time and service worries that kept me spending countless hours digging and keeping up to date. Eventually, Tesla is addressing my concerns one by one but only after multiple attempts to contact them. I know with high employee turnovers and inconsistent directions from the higher-ups and the sheer growth in volumes are causing some of this headaches. However, that is a Tesla's issue and not should be owned up by the buyer who spent good money on the transaction and paid fully for it on delivery. Even with all the research that I have done with countless hours of reading and looking up specs, I still feel like I was misled about the actual makeup of my car and the actual difference between each model: like are there any true hardware binning or just a software upgrade besides the 20-inch package. I have not even received a carbon spoiler and the badging even after delivery and no clear indication when it will definitely be available for the installation. So yes, I think Tesla has not made many things clear and added to the confusion. They are also not being sensitive to the early adopters that supported them to a profitable quarter.

If I were Elon I wouldn't give the discount to anyone that put a minus in their car description! ;)

So since my car is simply an AWD+ I for sure need free supercharging, 5k refund and whatever else I can think of!

Fair or not, it's easy to see as a slap in the face of early adopters who paid the higher price to watch it drop in such a short window of time. Like with the AWD pricing and the paint pricing, some of this makes you wonder ...

How about P3D? My window sticker says performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA

For me I feel more like it was a kick to the nuts, after a delivery beat-down. With the timing between the two just long enough for me to think the pain would subside then wham!

If the all P3D performance comes from a software only update, tesla should easily be able to afford rebates / discounts / credit or whatever to all performance buyers. After all, performance buyers paid $11000 for a software unlock. There's no way that kind of software is more complex than the $5000 autopilot option. Or the $8000 full self driving purchase!

If the all P3D performance comes from a software only update, tesla should easily be able to afford rebates / discounts / credit or whatever to all performance buyers. After all, performance buyers paid $11000 for a software unlock. There's no way that kind of software is more complex than the $5000 autopilot option. Or the $8000 full self driving purchase!

This is probably what was in Elon's mind when he responded via Twitter. He's an engineer who understands the physical value of the performance unlock being software only thus didn't really cost them that much and allowing the $5000 refund.

He failed to understand the emotional value of the performance unlock, why people were willing to pay for it, and how changing the price impacts everyone who has paid so far and the all the secondary effects from doing so.

Just because you know the "real" value of something doesn't mean you understand the "true" value of something.

So uh.... when are they actually going to tell us what the plan is? I am half tempted to just keep my FUSC on principle, as I don't think Tesla owes me anything. Unfortunately that 5k would be pretty nice right now if they offer it freely I will take it. My 76K Performance Model 3 actually cost me a lot more than that because I was holding almost the full value of the car in Tesla Stock when Elon tanked the stock price almost like the universe was out to get me; I had to sell at a bad time because my car had finally arrived and it was time to pay. I know I know, Tesla is not at fault for my investing decisions, but the way it played out for me was that Elon's "funding secured" debacle timed with his quarter end push to deliver my car really cost me quite a bit of money. If Tesla truly offers the option I will take it; but only extremely gratefully because they really don't owe me anything.

Reactions: RyanT