Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you also don't have boat-anchor wheels and expensive-to-fix brakes that don't help you on the street- or weird hubs that make aftermarket wheels difficult.

and you DO still have FUSC, which they don't.

Sounds like you got the much better deal for the same net price!

(again as long as Elon delivers the promised TM for the - cars...failure to do so would be the only valid reason anybody has offered for the - folks "deserving" any compensation for anything).

I do not want wheels but I can always sell them. Track mode is supposed to come to our cars but after this refund mess I have my doubts.

I feel like my IQ drops every time I open this thread and yet somehow I still find myself clicking on it...

People should stop being whiney, entitled children and go enjoy their awesome car. Life goes on. That is all.
IMO there IS something deeper going on here that is worth watching. Tesla is pioneering a new marketing model: no model years, real time product and pricing improvements. The auto industry evolved an annual dance over many decades: new model year in fall, incentives begin in summer and steepen towards fall. Rinse, repeat. All customers know what to expect. If you bought in September, you wouldn’t whine about newer better car available in October, you’d brag about the great deal you got on almost the same car.

Tesla is blowing that up. And developing new model while under a microscope. We are part of that experiment. They don’t have decades to evolve it. It would be a shame if it failed. IMO it could fail if Tesla doesn’t develop a sustainable model for compensating recent buyers when they drop a surprise. It could also fail if customers fail to adapt their expectations.

That is why it is important to watch this train wreck and others.

Reactions: Perry and Roys3
IMO there IS something deeper going on here that is worth watching. Tesla is pioneering a new marketing model: no model years, real time product and pricing improvements. The auto industry evolved an annual dance over many decades: new model year in fall, incentives begin in summer and steepen towards fall. Rinse, repeat. All customers know what to expect. If you bought in September, you wouldn’t whine about newer better car available in October, you’d brag about the great deal you got on almost the same car.

Tesla is blowing that up. And developing new model while under a microscope. We are part of that experiment. They don’t have decades to evolve it. It would be a shame if it failed. IMO it could fail if Tesla doesn’t develop a sustainable model for compensating recent buyers when they drop a surprise. It could also fail if customers fail to adapt their expectations.

That is why it is important to watch this train wreck and others.
Isn't lowering prices and/or increasing incentives as a model gets older exactly the same as the dealership model? Then when new features are introduced the prices go up. Seems like a perfectly rational way to do things. The only problem is that it's more transparent when Tesla does it so people get upset.

As models get older.... a few months after initial availability?

Boat anchor wheels? Heavier wheel, lighter tire. It's the sum that counts.

Does anyone have a believable rationale that Track Mode will come without hardware upgrades?
The first few months of any in demand car are always the most expensive. Remember the PT Cruiser?
I don't think the 20" tires are lighter... Anyway plenty of threads with the total weight. The wheel+tire is very heavy.
Tesla has said they will release "Track Mode" for the P3D-. Why wouldn't they? I bet on a low speed track or autocross course the smaller brakes will work fine.

Yes, I received mine yesterday too. Still in to see some resolution for P3D- owners who are out more than just $5K in instant depreciation IMHO. Being told your car will come with a feature which it then does not....I have seen dealerships be compelled to buy cars back for similar transgressions.

Reactions: Roys3
The first few months of any in demand car are always the most expensive. Remember the PT Cruiser?
I don't think the 20" tires are lighter... Anyway plenty of threads with the total weight. The wheel+tire is very heavy.
Tesla has said they will release "Track Mode" for the P3D-. Why wouldn't they? I bet on a low speed track or autocross course the smaller brakes will work fine.

You dont think so.. but they are indeed lighter and in the 18-20" realm they are close to as light as you can get.
I went from the heavy 20" wheels with the light PS4's to very light 19's with Pilot SPor AS/3's and my total wheel/tire weight is the same.

It's a tough nut to crack. Ideally they would lower the price slowly like dealerships do but I'm not sure that would work when prices are so public.

Its not a fair comparison. A dealership is an independent entity setting pricing for their vehicles in their market at the particular time of year.

Tesla is operating a whole new paradigm, and as such they are at the mercy of the expectations of the people willing to participate in that new paradigm. They sell direct with no negotiating. Why should I not be protected from suddent price drops like I would with any other piece of technology? If I buy a $3000 TV from best buy and they drop it to $2000 29 days later, they are giving me $1000 back.

Isn't lowering prices and/or increasing incentives as a model gets older exactly the same as the dealership model? Then when new features are introduced the prices go up. Seems like a perfectly rational way to do things. The only problem is that it's more transparent when Tesla does it so people get upset.
No. It’s not unless it is on a predictable annual cycle.

As models get older.... a few months after initial availability?

Boat anchor wheels? Heavier wheel, lighter tire. It's the sum that counts.

And the sum is heavier than the stock 18s the - owners got. (and heavier still once the - owners put better tires on their 18s)

Does anyone have a believable rationale that Track Mode will come without hardware upgrades?

Yes. Elon literally told us it would.

Not the keeps every promise of course- but it's a believable rationale for thinking that.

Some people had more than a promise from Elon, they had direct communication either verbal and written from Tesla employees (sales, delivery etc) stating they would be getting track mode. Now, that may have come from their reading of Elon's post, but it still constituted a verbal contract in most states.

You dont think so.. but they are indeed lighter and in the 18-20" realm they are close to as light as you can get.
I went from the heavy 20" wheels with the light PS4's to very light 19's with Pilot SPor AS/3's and my total wheel/tire weight is the same.
PS4S are the same weight in the 235/45R18 size than they are in the 235/35R20 size (23lbs vs. 23lbs vs. 24lbs with foam). There plenty of threads on this.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Its not a fair comparison. A dealership is an independent entity setting pricing for their vehicles in their market at the particular time of year.

Tesla is operating a whole new paradigm, and as such they are at the mercy of the expectations of the people willing to participate in that new paradigm. They sell direct with no negotiating. Why should I not be protected from suddent price drops like I would with any other piece of technology? If I buy a $3000 TV from best buy and they drop it to $2000 29 days later, they are giving me $1000 back.
But if you buy it 1 day earlier than that you get nothing. So now you've paid $1k more than the guy who bought it a day after you. Maybe Tesla should do that too but it's sort of silly.

Reactions: MP3Mike