Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs LR AWD still worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the software upgrade available at any time after purchase or is there a time limit?

I would expect that Tesla will be happy to take your money at any time :)

There is a chance that they have a fire-sale to raise money ... but they are awash with that at present (compared to "somewhat recently", so I doubt that is likely, they might even put it up ... (same with a fire-sale on FSD)

On that basis I will be surprised, based on past history, if Tesla don't raise the price ...
interesting point. they can't raise the price of the LR now without losing the grant so if they want to increase revenue ( especially as the P just became a lot less attractive and was the biggest cash cow) they have limited options:
1) raise the delivery fee (not included in PICG price calculation)
2) raise the cost of options, colours etc (not included in PICG price calculation)
3) raise the price of aftermarket addons. FSD and Performance boost

Since the there may now be more LR buyers who are P wannabes but can't stomach the increase, squeezing them on the performance upgrade would make good business sense. or even a higher priced stage 2 option if the LR hardware is capable

I've always had quick cars so the P would normally have been my go to choice. Then I found I could use my Salary Sacrifice to make a massive saving on a Model 3 but the P's not available on the scheme. That left me buying the LR. I was going to buy the performance upgrade the moment I got it but I haven't yet and I'm not sure I will. The figures don't do it justice, it's a very fast car out of the box.

What I would say is that I don't like the aero trims and whilst the alloys underneath are nice they look at little small at 18 inch. 19's weren't available as an option when I purchased. I'm seriously considering spending the money that I'd earmarked for the performance upgrade on some nice after market 19 inch alloys. I'd also think about adding the carbon fibre spoiler as well. I'd also have like to have a play with Track Mode.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I've always had quick cars so the P would normally have been my go to choice. Then I found I could use my Salary Sacrifice to make a massive saving on a Model 3 but the P's not available on the scheme. That left me buying the LR. I was going to buy the performance upgrade the moment I got it but I haven't yet and I'm not sure I will. The figures don't do it justice, it's a very fast car out of the box.

What I would say is that I don't like the aero trims and whilst the alloys underneath are nice they look at little small at 18 inch. 19's weren't available as an option when I purchased. I'm seriously considering spending the money that I'd earmarked for the performance upgrade on some nice after market 19 inch alloys. I'd also think about adding the carbon fibre spoiler as well. I'd also have like to have a play with Track Mode.

i don’t think you can get track mode unless you have the P (or the “stealth” P that was briefly available).

I have had my Model 3 LR just over a week now and I am seriously thinking of splashing out for the acceleration boost.
My reason is that I had purchased all my bits and bobs in advance to make my LR look like the P and because of having more time
during this current situation I have fitted a rear carbon spoiler, aluminium pedals, some centre consul wraps and carbon
fibre mirror protectors and door handle wraps as there is just too much of a chrome finish on the car for my liking especially
as the carbon black fittings contrast beautifully with the Pearl White colour of the car.
I also took off the aero wheel trim covers to reveal better than average alloy wheels and fitted the Tesla outer hub nuts and centre nut.
I love the fact that I can get a decent range on a charge (The main reason I went for the LR) plus for me I did not mind missing out on the 20in wheels equaling a slight reduction in range and a greater possibility of some scuff marks negotiating those high kerbs.
I do admit though those 20in wheels with the large brake calipers look great on the Performance model.
I bought all of the above accessories from Amazon and E-Bay at a total of approx £400. The most expensive upgrade being the rear spoiler.
Due to watching U-Tube videos and learning from them I was able to fit all the accessories myself which meant I had no further outlay
money wise to pay for someone to fit them.
Not being known to be a DIY man or amateur mechanic I am so proud what I have achieved.
Again I will conclude that it is horses for courses and a personal choice but owing up the cost of a Model P to the LR I have no doubt that financially I made the right choice when you compare both the car's prices.
The P model is still faster and more powerful off the mark however for me I think I have got the best of both worlds and I am happy with that.
This update according to reports and reviews I have read seems to do what it states on the tin and is not
just some Tesla after sales market ploy. It does increase the 0-60mph to 3.9 secs some tests were showing
3.6 secs I did not hear of any over 4.0 secs.
The only thing I can't do is add power and acceleration hence the upgrade.
I am still left with the dilemma what I should a paint under the letters Dual Motor with half a line or should I call it a Dual LR Plus - or- Sport. (lol !!)
Can I ask if anyone knows if there are any extra premiums on the insurance with this upgrade as it is a digital/computer type modification.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jez_GB
I have had my Model 3 LR just over a week now and I am seriously thinking of splashing out for the acceleration boost.
My reason is that I had purchased all my bits and bobs in advance to make my LR look like the P and because of having more time
during this current situation I have fitted a rear carbon spoiler, aluminium pedals, some centre consul wraps and carbon
fibre mirror protectors and door handle wraps as there is just too much of a chrome finish on the car for my liking especially
as the carbon black fittings contrast beautifully with the Pearl White colour of the car.
I also took off the aero wheel trim covers to reveal better than average alloy wheels and fitted the Tesla outer hub nuts and centre nut.
I love the fact that I can get a decent range on a charge (The main reason I went for the LR) plus for me I did not mind missing out on the 20in wheels equaling a slight reduction in range and a greater possibility of some scuff marks negotiating those high kerbs.
I do admit though those 20in wheels with the large brake calipers look great on the Performance model.
I bought all of the above accessories from Amazon and E-Bay at a total of approx £400. The most expensive upgrade being the rear spoiler.
Due to watching U-Tube videos and learning from them I was able to fit all the accessories myself which meant I had no further outlay
Not being known to be a DIY man or amateur mechanic I am so proud what I have achieved.
Again I will conclude that it is horses for courses and a personal choice but owing up the cost of a Model P to the LR I have no doubt that financially I made the right choice when you compare both the car's prices.
The P model is still faster and more powerful off the mark however for me I think I have got the best of both worlds and I am happy with that.
This update according to reports and reviews I have read seems to do what it states on the tin and is not
just some Tesla after sales market ploy. It does increase the 0-60mph to 3.9 secs some tests were showing
I am still left with the dilemma what I should a paint under the letters Dual Motor with half a line or should I call it a Dual LR Plus - or- Sport. (lol !!)
Can I ask if anyone knows if there are any extra premiums on the insurance with this upgrade as it is a digital/computer type modification.
Thanks.

From one that has gone for it..... go for it;) I have no regrets. Slight increase on insurance but not too heavy and less than a P would have been for me.

• Informative
Reactions: bogeybuster
I just got my white LR/19" alloys on Friday (£3500 grant was apparently applied just in time late evening on 11th March) & have absolutely no regrets vs a P.

It's plenty fast enough for a 62y old in lockdown - the wife is re-registered at our local hospital so she'll at least get 'some' enjoyment .

Thanks.

Nicely done;) Can we see pics of the mirror covers and handle wraps ?

From one that has gone for it..... go for it;) I have no regrets. Slight increase on insurance but not too heavy and less than a P would have been for me.

Well I went and did it this morning and purchased the extra acceleration performance boost.
By the time I went into the vehicle later in the afternoon the update was done.
Is in it amazing that when you purchase an update then Tesla actually give you VIP treatment by not making you have to
use your wireless to update over the air they do it for you. Anyway really pleased to have got it.
It appeared on my screen showing me in the driving mode choices Chill or Sport.
The original choice of Chill or Standard means I cannot get the Standard anymore but to be honest I am going to be in
Sport mode most of the time after paying for the update. Occasionally I may use Chill mode.
One small caveat to note if you do decide to get this update is that my Sport mode was greyed out with a little note underneath
stating that my speed limit was switched on (85)mph through my previous set up.
You have to Disable the speed limit for the update to work.
Once I disabled the speed limit then the Sport mode lit up again and I was able to choose it.
You live and learn.
But finally I would like to say that I have no regrets on my purchase as I found a real boost in power not just in the 0-60mph
but in going from say 50 to 70mph the power and torque was there.
I would also like to mention if you are considering this upgrade the kind people at Tesla give you 48 hours to try it out to
make sure you are happy with the upgrade if not you get a full refund £1500.
However if you go over 48hrs then you are stuck with it.
Personally for me I do not mind being stuck with it but again it's horses for courses.

Reactions: Gatsojon
What has your insurance company got to say about this modification?
Hi VanillaAir,
I can't get through to them today possibly due to the on going Covid 19 situation.
Hopefully Jez_GB can help as he stated he had a slight increase in insurance but not as much as the P model.
I would not surmise it will cost much more if anything at all as a lot of insurance companies base their premiums on the total value of the vehicle and I would imagine although hopefully not if my car was a right off I would only get the value of the car not the extra £1500.
Plus as there are no physical parts being added or modified to the car I am really not sure how they
will view this.
I would reckon that each insurance company will see this differently some may charge extra and others
will not be too bothered.I will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Gonna quote myself here from a previous similar post. I haven’t changed my mind on this in hindsight, and would say that at today’s prices there’s no way on earth I’d pay the extra for the performance model...

Generator, Feb 24, 2020
I have a performance model 3. Ordered ‘just in case’ as I am a committed petrol-head and didn’t want to regret not having a performance model 3. In hindsight, and now having experienced both I could happily of made do with a model 3 LR. The second or so saved on the dash to 60 would be better traded for better ride, cheaper tyres (oddly enough a car with instant peak torque that weighs the thick end of 2 tonnes eats tyres), and an awful lot less paranoia when it comes to curbs, speed ramps and potholes

Reactions: Gatsojon
Nicely done;) Can we see pics of the mirror covers and handle wraps ?

Ok here we go just for you Jez_GB
It's the little bits that I think make the difference like the small decals on the steering wheel.

Attachments

• Tesla Nearside.jpg
    Tesla Nearside.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Tesla wheel.jpeg
    Tesla wheel.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Tesla off side.jpg
    Tesla off side.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Tesla Pedals.jpg
    Tesla Pedals.jpg