Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal safety while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has control over where Tesla's Superchargers are located.

Right, but it is it reasonable to expect them to shutdown an existing Supercharger, and just move it to a new location a few blocks over in the current "nicer" neighborhood? No it is not, neighborhoods change, and what one person feels is "sketchy" is another persons comfortable and the could change in a matter of minutes based on who is currently near the location.

Right, but it is it reasonable to expect them to shutdown an existing Supercharger, and just move it to a new location a few blocks over in the current "nicer" neighborhood? No it is not, neighborhoods change, and what one person feels is "sketchy" is another persons comfortable and the could change in a matter of minutes based on who is currently near the location.

I'm not saying they should relocate on a whim. They will at least shut it down if no one uses it because they feel unsafe.
Point being Tesla has control over locations, and likely listens to their user base.

Tesla has the information to take action? Take action on what?
Tesla could address some basic design elements such as cutting back undergrowth or bushes, and improve or repair lighting. This thread might also alert Tesla to what it is that we drivers take into account when stopping at a SC when they are planning new SC locations. One of the stops I had in NE was at an all night truck stop, but the SC was around the corner and behind a fence. While it was a little unnerving for me to make that walk alone to the truck stop cafe at 2am, I would not consider this a sketchy location. That was my own sensitivities to walking alone at night as a female.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
In a "open letter" that a group of us asscembled before the Gigafactory Event in 2016, I recorded a list of things we'd like to see and sent the video off to tesla.
Here It is. #1 was original regen, and we actually got that with the 8.0 firmware release ;-) As well as a number of other goodies. #2 on the list was a Emergency Break-Away button that would let someone drive off while still connected in absolute emergency.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""
While having breakfast at before the start of the Gigafactory Grand Opening event, a large group of us owners, from a number of different countries, got together for breakfast. During this breakfast, we put together a letter to Elon, first and foremost, thanking him, and then giving our opinions on some updates to the vehicles, both software and hardware.
While this list could be expanded greatly, I wanted to honor the list we put together as a group before the start of the Gigafactory event.
We had meant to record this at the pre-gigafactory party, however, we expected ~100 people at the pre party, which ended up having around 1000, so we could not record this.
Without further Ado, here is the list:
1: Original Regen
2: Emergency Break-Away Button
3: Full Brightness DRL's when Headlights are on
4: Hazard Lights on in Full Brake Lock-Up
5: Bi-Directional Charge Port V2V & V2G
6: Tesla Supported Towing for Model S
7: Passenger-Side Charge Port (Additional)
8: Bring back charging Energy & Miles/Km like Firmware 4.x
9: Battery Balancing Button
10: Auto-Amperage Adjust to complete charge by designated time
11: Delay in HVAC Fan-off to dry out moisture in system
12: Delay in HVAC shutting off to avoid on/off w/multiple Door Open/Closes
13: Symmetrical use of cooling fans to reduce fan noise
14: Auto-Close Pano when rain sensors are triggered
15: Press and Hold Nav Icon for auto-route Home
16: Open or close all windows from the App
17: Drive in Theater Mode
18: Camper Mode
19: Economy Mode (Such as a Accel Limiter)(or improve Range Mode)
20: Way-Points on Nav
21: Higher powered USB Ports and considerably MORE of them
22: More 12v power ports, such as in the Trunk of the Model S
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

264qdg.gif

Tesla could address some basic design elements such as cutting back undergrowth or bushes, and improve or repair lighting. This thread might also alert Tesla to what it is that we drivers take into account when stopping at a SC when they are planning new SC locations. One of the stops I had in NE was at an all night truck stop, but the SC was around the corner and behind a fence. While it was a little unnerving for me to make that walk alone to the truck stop cafe at 2am, I would not consider this a sketchy location. That was my own sensitivities to walking alone at night as a female.

Tesla maintains the equipment but not the land at supercharger sites as I understand it, landscaping is not their problem and with what they spend to put a bunch of free charging stations I think asking them to do a bunch of lighting and all is unreasonable.

Even in an ICE I make sure I have fuel before going thru or around Chicago or to a lesser extent Milwaukee and try to stay outside Minneapolis.

I had NAV on another car route me off the highway in Gary Indiana once and blew 4 red lights at noon on a Sunday to get back on the highway, don't even want to think about after dark.

I think documenting what seems sketchy is reasonable but sketchy is so different to different folks.

Glad I live in the midwest where the pockets of "unsafe" are few and far between, easy to avoid.

Maybe a system/app similar to GM OnStar might address some concerns: Welcome to OnStar | OnStar

I am a huge fan of OnStar. Had it in past cars and used it twice in medical emergency situations by pressing the red emergency button. Outstanding service and had an ambulance vectored right in to my location. (BTW, all was well. My mother in law lost consciousness suddenly which was quite scary when it happened... twice).

I looked into the OnStar FMV mirror which was to be a kind of watered-down system self contained in a replacement mirror for my Model S, but it was discontinued before it came to Canada.

Automatic eject would not be possible with the current hardware on the car (no software solution), though you can unlock the charging port from the Tesla phone app. I don't know if the car would be able to move after unlocking though.

What I think we have here is an opening for an aftermarket company to make a new charging port. All it would need is a motorized or spring loaded base that could shove the connector out of the socket when activated. Some jerks would probably use it to eject at superchargers and drive away without putting the plug back, but it would allow someone inside the car to abort charging and drive off in an emergency.

I have charged up and down the west coast alone and at night and they only place that makes me a little nervous is in Woodburn OR. It's pretty creepy around there after 10pm when most of the businesses are closed.

Funny thing about Woodburn. It's the only SC at which I've been, um, interviewed by a LEO during my Tesla travels. Actually, I was one space adjacent to the SC, because I needed a few hours of sleep, it was close to midnight, and I don't make it a habit to park in SCs after charging is complete.

So there I am, one space adjacent, which is to say just on the other side of the grass/curb/tree that's there (for those who have been there). At what turned out to be 0130, I wake up out of a deep sleep due to a Very Bright Light shining through and around the edge of my sunshade. A second or two later, I notice a somewhat less bright light directly to port through the driver's side window. Now, as we Tesla owners know, once the car is asleep, ain't no way to roll down the window easily. Stepping on the brake does zero, and the buttons on the door are disabled. The only way to roll down the window is to open the door first. Which was not exactly the action expected by the kindly officer on the other side of the flashlight, so I accompanied that with as sunshiny a "Howdy" as I could muster at that hour.

Fortunately, we had a lovely conversation for about 20 minutes during which, in part, she recommended other chargers in the area and of course ran my license to ensure I wasn't one of those axe-murdering Tesla felon types. She also noted that my window tint seemed a tad dark (yep - Photosync 35, which is, by the way, just perfect) and that my car had no front plate. Ironically, had I been *in* a Supercharger space, she wouldn't have woken me up. Interesting, eh? And a tad unfortunate. Either wake everybody up or at minimum don't make it more ideal to park in an SC space, no matter what time it is.

I spent a fair bit of time using Woodburn as a central point - less important now since there are SCs along the coast. You're right about the darkness of the lot after hours. However, nice and quiet for sleeping and... evidently well-patrolled *chuckle*. So there's that.

Reactions: RedOctober
Funny thing about Woodburn. It's the only SC at which I've been, um, interviewed by a LEO during my Tesla travels.
Good story. The first week I had my car as we got back to town after a week long road trip, I got pulled over by our local police for the temporary plate not being fully visible in the back window. I had set it there after it nearly blew off the two screws. The two young officers kept us for about 20 minutes to talk about the car. It was the first Tesla they've seen, and I suspect they really just wanted to see the car. I feel like an ambassador for EVs. It's fun to break down people's impressions that an EV can't go far. Or fast. I don't think I told the officers that....

Interesting Ideas in this thread. Here are a few observations. First, I am a non-violent person who was able to avoid fist-fights in school, and always try to see the good in other people. I do not believe we as a society should be using capital punishment. I am not a large person, under 5'8". I did spend a couple of years in martial arts when my kids were young. Both reached 2nd degree black belt in Tak Won Do. I had to stop just before the first black belt test due to a hernia. I am also a life-long active shooter, owning a number of different types of guns. I say this to set the stage.

If at all possible I will try to avoid any kind of confrontation. If I can not talk my way out of it, I would try to run away. If I could not do either of these, I would try to use other means to protect my life, and the life of those I am with. In this case I would consider myself in a situation where my life is in danger. Therefore any response I am required to use will involve use of deadly force. If I were to become involved in a physical altercation I would most likely loose, therefore I will not let myself become involved in one. If I have to strike at an attacker I plan to only be able to do that once, so it must be a strike that will either kill or seriously disable my attacker.

I would suggest that any of you who are concerned with your personal safety train yourself in multiple ways to be able to kill or disable an attacker with one strike. Many of them are not that difficult to learn and use. Remember, you are not sparing or training to fight. You are learning to deliver a single killing strike.

In addition I suggest that you always travel with canister of Pepper Spray. You may never use it, but better that than have a need for it and not have it. Also, I always travel with a Tactical Flash Light that can also deliver 50,000 volts to an attacker. Again, I have never found myself in a situation to use any of these, but better that than not be prepared.

To sum up, Please ENJOY your travels in your Tesla, use the Supercharger network and do not worry about a place that may be remote. Do not worry about being attacked. Just be prepared in case you are.

There is an extremely high probability that you will NEVER encounter any problems. Then, just in case, make sure you are prepared if something does happen. Sitting in your car with someone standing next to your driver door making a threat to you, you could lower the window an inch or two, speak softly so the person has to get close, then spray them in the face with pepper spray. If you need to disconnect, then exit the car and hit them with 50,000 volts. That would give you more than enough time to disconnect, then leave the area. Just a thought.

If you are charging and you don't feel safe unplugging, call the police. Explain your concerns and wait. Stay on the line until they arrive. When they arrive, unplug and go.

Your taxes pay for this.

I'm sure police officers would rather respond to a call that is in their mind unnecessary, than deal with a tragedy, deal with you having doused someone with pepper spray, or having shot someone.

Common sense will help. It is probably a better idea to time things so you are charging at 10am than 3am. Stay alert. If you find yourself in danger or you think you might be in danger, call the police, that's why we have them.