Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pet Names for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as car pet names go, I've only owned one car long enough to care about it. I have a penchant for the classic Transformers, so I tried making Autobot names of my own. My beloved '99 Chrysler Cirrus was named Treadbare, and I'm selling it (cheap) to a 16-year-old who promises to love it and honorably keep the name. As for my Model S, the fundamental problem with keeping name patterns of Autobots related to esoteric car terms (Wheeljack, Ratchet, Camshaft, etc) and naming an electric car is that there aren't a plethora of electric car parts from which to choose a name. Right now, I can think of "Frunk," Pano," and maybe "Supercharger."
Other names that might work:
Inductor (as in Linear Inductance Motor)
Pneumatrix, Pneumatron, Pneumatross (in reference to the pneumatic suspension)
Discharge (as in electrostatic discharge, but it is a horrid name)
Regenix (regenerative braking system)

I'm not moved by any of these names, however.

Since 1999, my vehicles have all had names based on characters in the movie Matrix. So far, their names have been:

2000 Honda Prelude - Trinity
2001 Toyota RAV4 - Tank
2005 Acura TL - Persephone
2009 Acura MDX - Morpheus
2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R - Apoc

My 2013 Tesla Model S will be Oracle (as she represents the future).

Admittedly, I am reserving Neo for if and when I get an NSX... but having been bitten by the EV bug, Neo may be Tesla's next-gen sports car. :)

- Rob

I didn't name my cars until one day: I was working at a bookstore as a used book buyer and was sorting through boxes of books about horses, both fiction and non-fiction. I took a break to run out and feed the meter where my 1966 seafoam green Toyota Corona was parked and I spontaneously thought, "There's ol' Minty.". When my husband restored a 1967 Toyota Stout pick-up, it came back from the paint shop with the wrong shade of red. It had gone in for a repeat of the original color, a very basic red, and came out with an orangey "Mars" red. It was a bit shocking but now we like it. That truck is now known as Caliente. We also have a blue 2001 Toyota Corolla which, while undeniably a great workhorse which we have no complaints about, has never inspired naming.

So far we have themes of horsey, color and temperature. We're getting a brown Model S and are thinking of naming it Coco.