Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a relief!

OK, so I follow this thread and understand that you can PUT a hitch on most cars. That's all I really want, my convertible Volvo didn't have a hitch as an option, but it took 10 minutes to put one on aftermarket (well, the wiring took some time, stupid amperage sensors!)

I looked up all the cars that compete with the M3 on eTrailer.com and the 2017 BMW Series 3, the Mercedes C-Class coupe, and the Audi A4 all have hitches available for install. Oddly there is no hitch listed for the 2017 Tesla Model S.

What has me concerned is all this talk about manufacturer approved tow capability. If I put an aftermarket hitch on and it lets loose, are we saying insurance could deny me coverage?? I have to have a hitch from the manufacturer to have approved towing?

-Randy
You maybe don't have to buy the hitch from the car manufacturer but if the manufacturer haven't approved the car for hitch and something happened while you are towing I wouldn't expect you to get anything here in Sweden at least, how it's in US I don't know.

What has me concerned is all this talk about manufacturer approved tow capability. If I put an aftermarket hitch on and it lets loose, are we saying insurance could deny me coverage?? I have to have a hitch from the manufacturer to have approved towing?
My guess is that yes, you are assuming some liability by putting a hitch on a vehicle that doesn't have a tow rating. That is, if you install the hitch and an accident occurs due to the hitch "letting loose," it could be considered negligence.

If the aftermarket hitch is specifically designed for the vehicle, that's a slightly different story with more grey area.

For you, perhaps. For me, a hitch is an absolute requirement (not for towing but for a bicycle rack). That's why I currently drive an SUV, but put a hitch on an affordable long range electric car and that combination becomes really interesting to me.

The Model Y is probably what I ultimately want, but I guarantee you I'm not waiting that long.
My guess is that yes, you are assuming some liability by putting a hitch on a vehicle that doesn't have a tow rating. That is, if you install the hitch and an accident occurs due to the hitch "letting loose," it could be considered negligence.

If the aftermarket hitch is specifically designed for the vehicle, that's a slightly different story with more grey area.

My concern about an aftermarket hitch has to do with how it's attached. I'm thinking the difficulty of attaching a hitch is due to where the battery is. If the 3 is like the S, I'd be afraid some aftermarket fly-by-night hitch guy (or gal) is going to drill into the battery while attaching a hitch. This isn't really a problem with an ICE car, but seeing videos of the undercarriage of the Model 3, there's not a lot to latch onto down there. Or am I just full of s**t?

The battery and motor are not near the rear bumper. From the emergency responders guide, it looks like there are no drive train parts near the back bumper mounts or under the rear trunk area. Most hitch bars attach at or just behind the bumper mounts. this is a strong area of the chassis. Most cars do not require drilling to attach the tow bar.

Reactions: transpondster
My concern about an aftermarket hitch has to do with how it's attached. I'm thinking the difficulty of attaching a hitch is due to where the battery is. If the 3 is like the S, I'd be afraid some aftermarket fly-by-night hitch guy (or gal) is going to drill into the battery while attaching a hitch. This isn't really a problem with an ICE car, but seeing videos of the undercarriage of the Model 3, there's not a lot to latch onto down there. Or am I just full of s**t?
From the link I posted above.
No drilling required for installation , Underbody panel(s) and/or fascia must be temporarily loosened or removed , Requires temporary removal of bumper/fascia during installation , Fascia trimming required
Full Details on the Model S hitch are here
2012 Tesla Model S Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and DR61
A receiver will be the first thing I do with my M3. Bike rack is high priority, with small trailer loads from Home Depot a close second. I can weld it up myself, but I'd rather not. I don't mind Tesla not offering one, but I will mind a lot if it's hard to fit one at all.

Reactions: igotzzoom
What a relief!

OK, so I follow this thread and understand that you can PUT a hitch on most cars. That's all I really want, my convertible Volvo didn't have a hitch as an option, but it took 10 minutes to put one on aftermarket (well, the wiring took some time, stupid amperage sensors!)

I looked up all the cars that compete with the M3 on eTrailer.com and the 2017 BMW Series 3, the Mercedes C-Class coupe, and the Audi A4 all have hitches available for install. Oddly there is no hitch listed for the 2017 Tesla Model S.

-Randy
As I understand it, that is exactly what could happen. It could void the warrantee as well.

Dan

I don't think there's any liability provided your trailer+load are much smaller than the vehicle, your hitch is installed correctly, you travel at or below the speed limit for vehicles towing trailers, and you conform to any other laws and/or regulations.

All bets are off if those conditions aren't met, but everything except for the weight of the trailer+load also applies to liability when towing with a vehicle that has a tow rating.

As I understand it, that is exactly what could happen. It could void the warrantee as well.

Dan
It's possible, but the dealer or manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the problem they're denying warranty coverage for. I've still read about some dealers denying warranty coverage out of habit, mostly because some customers aren't aware of their rights. On the plus side, I think most will back off if pressed about it, assuming they don't have evidence the modification did cause the defect someone is trying to have repaired under warranty.

I love fishing. Currently I own a Subaru outback 2.5 (2700 lb towing capacity max), a 1200lb boat (with a towing trailer) and 80 lb folding boat that can be transported with roof racks. I am thinking to trade my outback and buy an electric car with towing capacity higher than 1200lb in the coming years.

My fishing friend got a new Volvo XC90 (towing capacity 5000lb) this year for his boat (around 2500 lbs I guess). A good choice in my view. However, I am no longer a fan of ICE car. I need a "new toy". I understad many people who love fishing own pickup truck for fishing purpose but unfortunately owing 2 cars is not my choice. I need this car for both shopping and fishing. A pickup truck is far too big for me.

Well, I have been following tesla for a while and hope model 3 can be my choice.

I love fishing. Currently I own a Subaru outback 2.5 (2700 lb towing capacity max), a 1200lb boat (with a towing trailer) and 80 lb folding boat that can be transported with roof racks. I am thinking to trade my outback and buy an electric car with towing capacity higher than 1200lb in the coming years.

My fishing friend got a new Volvo XC90 (towing capacity 5000lb) this year for his boat (around 2500 lbs I guess). A good choice in my view. However, I am no longer a fan of ICE car. I need a "new toy". I understad many people who love fishing own pickup truck for fishing purpose but unfortunately owing 2 cars is not my choice. I need this car for both shopping and fishing. A pickup truck is far too big for me.

Well, I have been following tesla for a while and hope model 3 can be my choice.
You might be better off with a Model X.

Dan

I don’t know about easily, but I towed a 23 ft cabin cruiser weighing about 6.000 lbs on trailer with a 78 Gran Prix for years. Had a tongue weight of over 500 lbs. you can tow with anything if you don’t worry about warranty and know a hitch guy with enough steel and a torch.

You've seen the undercarriage of a Model 3? Every picture I'm aware of shows it covered with the black plastic shell. I haven't seen squat.

Almost all hitches attach to the bumper mounting location which is structurally designed to take a 3-5 MPH impact without any issues. Typically this is the strongest location and least disruptive location to mount a hitch. In fact on many cars the bumper is the hitch mounting location.
Remember the old days when dad - chained a freaking Class III hitch to the bumper of a Buick Roadmaster Wagon pulling a 31 foot camper?

Family sedan towing 31 foot camper.jpg

Case in point my class III FJ Cruiser hitch is just bolted to the existing bumper without any further modifications... I'm not sure why Tesla is wimping out, I suspect the leadership doesn't fully understand the market for single car household ownership or the highly active nature of many Tesla owners (biking, skying, boating, kayaking, mother in law carrier etc...) it amazes me that they are missing a key marketing opportunity.

Tow some sell some. I guess sales aren't an issue yet. Where the hell are the OEM ICE manufacturers - are they screwed to their supply chain so much that can't make a simple iPad with wheels and a motor? Really? I can't believe a little company in Palo Alto is killing the legacy motor monopoly with NADA in their back pocket.

Add a damn hitch certification already... for all your vehicles. I have a 2 inch eco-hitch on my Tesla, and I get asked constantly - is that a 2 inch receiver? "Why yes its for my 7500 pound sail boat" tongue in cheek... I get thumbs every time - and usually a "damn that car is bad ass".
Everything is about perception and Tesla needs to continue to shatter the illusion that many have lived their whole lifetime.

I will stop bitching about hitching... for now.