Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, media player problems aside. I did use navigation today; 1st time since v9 so my comment "99.8% of the time I know where I'm going already", still rings true. I had NAV up, plus camera (as usual), plus minimized media player. It was mostly useful. But the hardware/framerate hit of having all that going on when you went to actually go change tracks or browse song lists was very noticeable, AND caused several hangups for noticeable seconds of time. That is a HUGE problem if the buttery smooth feeling of the system is affected. This was on gen1 MCU btw.

I was lucky; upgraded to V9.0 just before leaving town for several days on a business trip. Before I'd returned, I'd already installed 2018.42 via the iOS app.

I'm pretty satisfied with the flexibility of having Rear Camera over Media, bonus of having several settings for how minimized/maximized the Media player is (and thereby how high up the camera view appears, and how much Map shows at the top). It is possible to configure Media/Camera/Map, each taking roughly 1/3 of the screen.

My disappointment with V9 in general is that it takes more "clicks" to get to camera (app launcher --> camera), and I just realized yesterday that there's no longer a visible Calendar icon showing today's date until you hit the App launcher. It was kind of convenient having the Calendar icon across the top bar in V8, which always reflected the current date.

I was lucky; upgraded to V9.0 just before leaving town for several days on a business trip. Before I'd returned, I'd already installed 2018.42 via the iOS app.

I'm pretty satisfied with the flexibility of having Rear Camera over Media, bonus of having several settings for how minimized/maximized the Media player is (and thereby how high up the camera view appears, and how much Map shows at the top). It is possible to configure Media/Camera/Map, each taking roughly 1/3 of the screen.

My disappointment with V9 in general is that it takes more "clicks" to get to camera (app launcher --> camera), and I just realized yesterday that there's no longer a visible Calendar icon showing today's date until you hit the App launcher. It was kind of convenient having the Calendar icon across the top bar in V8, which always reflected the current date.
In general it's more clicks AND it's choppier, which really chaps my bumper. Seat heaters, sun roof, HVAC, all take more clicks to do things. At least 1-2 more.... Plus the buttons are smaller so you get a lot more mis-presses.

In general it's more clicks AND it's choppier, which really chaps my bumper. Seat heaters, sun roof, HVAC, all take more clicks to do things. At least 1-2 more.... Plus the buttons are smaller so you get a lot more mis-presses.
For the seat heaters and roof, I don' see it taking more clicks, but the icons are different. For the roof, the old display with the slider on the right was much much better. There really was no point to change it. Now the roof is much harder to control and there' no snap to 75%. Luckily the scroll wheel still behaves the same as before. But using the settings screen it's much harder to control the roof.

For the seat heaters and roof, I don' see it taking more clicks, but the icons are different. For the roof, the old display with the slider on the right was much much better. There really was no point to change it. Now the roof is much harder to control and there' no snap to 75%. Luckily the scroll wheel still behaves the same as before. But using the settings screen it's much harder to control the roof.
It does if you left Cold Weather up in the options screen like most people in the winter do. Plus that stupid fan button is so small, I end up turning on my seat heater instead of bringing up the HVAC dialog, half the time.

Also, the area is lower so your eyes are spending extra time finding small buttons at an angle that was lower than before. All and all, more unsafe! Yay!

If you just push open on your sunroof it will open to 75%

Reactions: supratachophobia
Tesla lowers the rear view camera 5mm down on our screen, but allows us to have the map as a third app.
People complain?
why?

If you took the time to read the thread, you'd easily find the answer to your question "Why?"

First, the initial release of v9 did NOT just lower the camera (more than 5mm, btw, nearly double that at 0.375 inches or ~9.5mm; see post 383 above) it did not allow the camera to be displayed above the media player at all. So it was still just two apps on the screen at a time; with the "top" app necessarily being the maps. It's almost certainly thanks to "people complaining" that Tesla did quickly issue an update to allow the camera top be displayed over the media player. This thread was created, and the bulk of the complaints, are from that initial release.

Secondly, while this update likely meets the needs of most disappointed drivers most of the time, it still falls short of the flexibility that existed in every prior version. So, yes, the ability to have 3 apps on the screen at once is unquestionably a "plus", but it does not necessarily outweigh the minus of no longer being able to have any app on top, and any app on bottom for some drivers.

Tesla lowers the rear view camera 5mm down on our screen, but allows us to have the map as a third app.
People complain?
why?
Uhhh, because the horrid frame rate drops in the whole UI, especially on v1 mcu hardware, because a constantly updated map is running underneath it all. Makes the whole thing look like liquor store robbery survailance footage. Not sure where you drive every day, but the majority of owners don't need directions on how to get to work, or 99% of the other places they go. Sure they'd like the ETA, but if it's just that, why waste resources on the flashy graphics?

Getting the camera app in place was simply a drag and drop motion before. Now, it's a tap, a search and squint, another tap, and possibly a drag.

Plus, where the hell is my Date? What was the motivation behind removing the clearly visible calendar day? WTF Tesla, why didn't you get actual feedback from owners? Why did you fire and gut the entire early access team? Their whole propose was to avoid things like this.

I need to take a step back from things.....

Eventually, the autonomous vehicle will require a destination. Tesla is training us early to expect a map to show the route guidance. The system isn’t flawless as we discover when the route mapping does unnecessary turns. The more drivers that use it, the better it should become over time.

I enjoy entering a destination on every drive to check for accuracy and be thankful that I still have a steering wheel.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and raphy3
Eventually, the autonomous vehicle will require a destination. Tesla is training us early to expect a map to show the route guidance. The system isn’t flawless as we discover when the route mapping does unnecessary turns. The more drivers that use it, the better it should become over time.

I enjoy entering a destination on every drive to check for accuracy and be thankful that I still have a steering wheel.
The problem is, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. Tesla didn't need to pigeon-hole us into this screen-vomit, but they did anyway.

Edit: To your point, the NAV makes even less sense with self-driving. If the car is worrying about it for you, all you truly care about at that point is the arrival time....

Not sure how I managed this but it happened in any case.
20181110_181717.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Any other refuseniks like me who never downloaded V9 notice that the constant appearances of the software-upgrade dialog box popping up announcing the availability of new software every time you put the car into Park have finally stopped?

I wonder if they changed something on the back-end, some rule saying if the owner just keeps refusing to download it, give up after 100 attempts or something. I have a mobile service tech coming to the house this week and I have to watch him like a hawk and make sure he doesn't sneak V9 into my car.

Any other refuseniks like me who never downloaded V9 notice that the constant appearances of the software-upgrade dialog box popping up announcing the availability of new software every time you put the car into Park have finally stopped?

I wonder if they changed something on the back-end, some rule saying if the owner just keeps refusing to download it, give up after 100 attempts or something. I have a mobile service tech coming to the house this week and I have to watch him like a hawk and make sure he doesn't sneak V9 into my car.
I'm still getting it, so it probably isn't a time-related thing. I have not driven many times recently, so if it's counter-based I may have to put up with it a while longer.