Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla read my post from Monday.... I noticed it's started to pop up the dialog box for new software update every time I put the car in Park again. Sure would be nice if the dialog box revealed the *version number* of the new software, so I could see if it's the original V9 again, or a new updated V9. Tesla if you're reading this message, maybe do that? coolokthnxbye

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Maybe Tesla read my post from Monday.... I noticed it's started to pop up the dialog box for new software update every time I put the car in Park again. Sure would be nice if the dialog box revealed the *version number* of the new software, so I could see if it's the original V9 again, or a new updated V9. Tesla if you're reading this message, maybe do that? coolokthnxbye

For what it's worth, I installed V9 the day before I went on a business trip. About 2 days later, while still away, I got the notification that another SW update was available (2018.42) and set it to install remotely via iOS app. So in total, I probably drove for about 2 hours with V9 before I was on 2018.42. I suspect it'll push quickly once you get V9.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I also wonder how high up these changes are being decided?

Is it Elon guiding these decisions? I’m pretty sure it was Elon who wanted the disappearing top menu bar in v8.

Or is it bottom-up millennials who never actually drive the cars pushing these changes up the chain for approval without any user testing or feedback?

It’s so flipping frustrating to have these changes handed down from the ivory tower without any explanation or guidence of the overall strategy or reasoning behind the changes.

I’ve never seen a software house make this many bad design decisions over such a long time period before. It’s really supreme arrogance that they decide and deliver whatever they think is best with zero input from actual users/owners/drivers.
It is. And now I learn that they've changed the warranty for post-Jan-2018 purchases to deny warranty coverage to post-Jan-2018 purchasers who don't always accept Tesla's arrogant and arbitrary breakage of their cars' software.

This attitude will actually kill Tesla stone cold dead. Not this year, not next year, but when there's a real competitive electric car being produced. Nobody will want to deal with Tesla's "We're the phone company, we don't have to care" bullshit.

For me, TSLA stock just went from a "forever" investment to a three-to-five-year / then get out investment. And my next car will probably not be a Tesla, if some other company will just get their ass in gear!

It is. And now I learn that they've changed the warranty for post-Jan-2018 purchases to deny warranty coverage to post-Jan-2018 purchasers who don't always accept Tesla's arrogant and arbitrary breakage of their cars' software.

This attitude will actually kill Tesla stone cold dead. Not this year, not next year, but when there's a real competitive electric car being produced. Nobody will want to deal with Tesla's "We're the phone company, we don't have to care" bullshit.

For me, TSLA stock just went from a "forever" investment to a three-to-five-year / then get out investment. And my next car will probably not be a Tesla, if some other company will just get their ass in gear!
Die the hero or live long enough to become the villain. They have an opportunity to avoid that, but only if they start immediately to change.

Die the hero or live long enough to become the villain. They have an opportunity to avoid that, but only if they start immediately to change.
This. Why does every company in existence build a tiny bit of infrastructure, get extremely arrogant, call it a "moat" or some other bullshit, and then use the moat to attack their consumer base from a position of extreme arrogance sprinkled with "we're the only game in town so go get F-ed"? The competitive advantage is to beat your corporate competition, not to punish your consumer base. :Facepalm:

Edit to add: actually their behavior is even more confusing to me because to date their primary means of advertisement is word of mouth. You can't piss off existing consumers and then expect to retain that free ad channel. I expect 5 years from now we'll be hearing Tesla complaining on earnings calls about how much they have to spend on ads now.

This. Why does every company in existence build a tiny bit of infrastructure, get extremely arrogant, call it a "moat" or some other bullshit, and then use the moat to attack their consumer base from a position of extreme arrogance sprinkled with "we're the only game in town so go get F-ed"? The competitive advantage is to beat your corporate competition, not to punish your consumer base. :Facepalm:

Edit to add: actually their behavior is even more confusing to me because to date their primary means of advertisement is word of mouth. You can't piss off existing consumers and then expect to retain that free ad channel. I expect 5 years from now we'll be hearing Tesla complaining on earnings calls about how much they have to spend on ads now.
Couldn't agree more. Your "marketing" team that actually uses the car everyday are the ones you aren't listening to. Where is the logic in that???

Reactions: am_dmd
So who among the petitioners have downloaded V9? Is this controversy over now?
I would not call the case closed. Apps, including camera, still "float" above an ever resource hungry NAV map. Nav still remains up at the top 1" and looks kludgey if you have a route planned. They need to sexify that 1" top with a custom view that gives you route remaining info, next turn, time saved by reroute and battery remaining at end, or else shrink map to 1/8th size, leave the navigate button, and call it a day.

Not me.. no way, no how until the restore the ability to put whatever apps I want wherever I want.
I'm working my way through the steps of the Kübler-Ross model:

1. Denial.
I simply refuse to believe that Tesla's removal of useful features [*] was intentional. They'll fix it quickly in a software update.

[*] useful features including but not limited to: any two apps displayed split-screen in any order; apps remaining where you've placed them; full-screen browser; ability to not run some apps (e.g. Nav); visual car image in settings that showed the status of DRL and fog lights as well as headlights; larger buttons which were easier to hit while driving; green traffic lines in Nav showing that a road is clear and that data exists for the road...

2. Anger.
@$#%@!! Tesla, how could you screw this up? Updates are supposed to be an improvement over what we had before. They shouldn't arbitrarily break or reduce the usability of features that your customers really like (and paid for), just because you wanted to unify your code base or jump on the latest user interface trend.

3. Bargaining.
Let's make an online petition! Let's write emails and lengthy blog posts and tweet our concerns to Elon! Maybe they will see how upset we are and fix things.

4. Depression.
None of this is going to make a difference. Tesla will throw us a bone by fixing what gets complained about the most (e.g. rear-view camera on top), but they are missing a lot of usability issues. Their designers probably use a desktop simulator and don't actually drive the car in traffic, where they would need to take their eyes off the road to hunt for functionality or remember that a long press produces different results than a short press.

5. Acceptance.
Tesla knows more about what my needs are than I do. Any change, even if it's two steps forward and one step back, is good change. I will stop closing the update window that appears every time I put the car in Park, inhale deeply, and press the Update Now button.

Currently I'm at step 4.

Last edited:
Very jealous about all of you who still has v8 and resisted the urge to update. Completely agree this v9 is a total mess and none of the icon placements or menus have any sense of usability. NoA is absolutely useless in my daily commute and have turned it off after couple days. WTH was I thinking when I pressed that update button waking up in the middle of night.

So who among the petitioners have downloaded V9? Is this controversy over now?
I did it on one car. No way, on the other. I'm surprised Tesla hasn't acted regarding what they must have re-evaluated at this point. It represents another batch of customers who may not come back.

I test drove an I-Pace, last weekend. HUD, front defroster element, just the right number of tactile controls, that won't someday surprise you in a sub-menu. Tesla deserve a lot of loyalty, as bold first mover, etc., but if they are going to let active steps like this stand, than what are they encouraging people do?

Very jealous about all of you who still has v8 and resisted the urge to update. Completely agree this v9 is a total mess and none of the icon placements or menus have any sense of usability. NoA is absolutely useless in my daily commute and have turned it off after couple days. WTH was I thinking when I pressed that update button waking up in the middle of night.
I purposely have stayed on v8, but I'm dreading my service visit tomorrow to replace the scroll wheels on the steering wheel and 12v battery. Going to sternly request they don't update the car. Fingers crossed! :eek:

LOL. So I finally relent and decide to download V9 for my S yesterday afternoon. Just went out to the car, clicked the "Install Now" button and went back inside. Later that night I checked the car.

v9-nope.png

So I tried it again last night. Made sure the Wifi was nice and strong, working fine. This morning went out to the car. Failed again!!! This is the first time in over five years of ownership of this car that a software update has failed.

I give up!

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia