Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After you posted this I sent emails to each of your links. I got a reply back a couple of weeks ago. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent:

Hello ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We are forever working on making everything better and faster for everyone to enjoy. Here is a link is a link to our Tesla Support page with everything that the version 9 offers, a few of the cool features on the new update are,
  • For Model S and Model X, the Controls and Settings panel has been reorganized to make things easier to find.
  • For Model S and Model X, climate has been redesigned to be more compact and easier to use.
  • For Model S and Model X, navigation now provides more information about upcoming turns, including highway exit information.
  • For Model S and Model X, the new application launcher is located at the bottom of your touchscreen and brings all your apps together into one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps.
Discover Software Version 9.0

Not updating to the new version 9 firmware, some of the features on your vehicle may not operate the same, which is why we recommend to keep an open mind with our updates. Eventually every Tesla will need to be on version 9.

Unfortunately reading forms can be helpful at times and you can have a strong community there, however forms can be made by anyone and are not always the best source for information.

I hope this email finds you well. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to email or call us with the number below.

Best regards,

Tesla Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 12/31/2018 7:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Please fix UI

I’m still on Version 8 waiting for you guys to fix Version 9. Everything I’ve read about the V9 “upgrade” sounds horrible. Please quit making fart apps and make the UI for the MS and MX at least as good as V8 or better. Please don’t downgrade my car after only two years of ownership.
-⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡

Sent from my iPhone
servlet.ImageServer

It is responses like this that led to Porsche now doubling the scheduled production for the Taycan because of the waitlist - reportedly the vast majority from Tesla owners. (no, I don't remember where I read that article, it has been a while.)

Ya, and their mission will not be complete until it's possible to ignore the instrument cluster console completely because all the stuff shown there is moved to center console... somewhere... you'll just have to swipe, scroll, hunt, peck, flick, and find it.

And their motto is, "We're not happy if it's too easy!"

Their default action is to "delete that pesky function if every car can't do it".

I think their motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy!"

I rated your response helpful, because "Unfortunately reading forms can be helpful at times."

In fairness, reading forms can be helpful as well. :)

Not updating to the new version 9 firmware, some of the features on your vehicle may not operate the same
That's kind of the point, isn't it? Not really sure what they're getting at here. Are they implying that v8 will work worse and worse over time or just stating the obvious that major releases often involve arbitrary changes on how to do the exact same thing?

I have to admit I have not read all 26 pages of this thread and my car was in the shop for a while for some body work.. when the car was returned to me just b4 Christmas, I noticed that the v9 UI had "improved" so that the rear camera is closer to the top, if not all the way up top.

I guess the petition worked?

I imagine people are happy now?

That's kind of the point, isn't it? Not really sure what they're getting at here. Are they implying that v8 will work worse and worse over time or just stating the obvious that major releases often involve arbitrary changes on how to do the exact same thing?
Maybe both. I read here that some versions, maybe older 7 or even 6, no longer work as well. Some of the API's apparently changed, and things like maps and voice no longer worked. I have no first-hand experience, just what I read.

• Informative
Reactions: thenaimis
I have to admit I have not read all 26 pages of this thread and my car was in the shop for a while for some body work.. when the car was returned to me just b4 Christmas, I noticed that the v9 UI had "improved" so that the rear camera is closer to the top, if not all the way up top.

I guess the petition worked?

I imagine people are happy now?
No V9 still really sucks...especially on a classic S
it is a little better but I had a loaner car with v9 and it sucks compared to v8.

Why in the hell do I need maps always? I know where I live and how to get around town!
the background maps is terrible. I want to be able to turn navigation basically Off

and the shifting camera that disappears when you try to use something else that can't quite be put at the top

Best fix they could do to save what they F'd up is move the original icons that were on the top in V8 to the bottom and push the camera up a little higher. keep the 2 'module' setup that can be flipped from top to bottom. and make the icons easier to read (maybe adjustable colors or something) for the older folks that hate the flat harder to see(separate) buttons

then if you figure out something that works better ....let people try it first maybe

even the media player i don't need as i control it mostly from the steering wheel.
it's all well and good until the music stream starts playing coldplay (or whatever your least favorite band happens to be) and you can't tell it to never play that track again via the steering wheel. You can skip it once, but it
KEEPS.
COMING.
BACK.

i actually always kept maps in full screen mode so i welcome the V9 changes. even the media player i don't need as i control it mostly from the steering wheel.

i guess i'm the minority in this thread, but i don' think i am in the minority in the real world.

Well Yes.. You kinda are among the minority. Even the techs at my local service center "Tempe AZ." as well as the Area Tesla Rangers here admit to being inundated with V9 UI complaints even reaching Musk himself with Model S & X. Just because it now does what you do most often does not negate the fact that the versatility present in V8 is pretty much gone. V8 could be configured as you suggest as well "without removing functionality for the rest of the (real world)"

I see v9 in our model 3 and it's good for that car with cramped singular console..

but it'd be a huge miss on the model S so I'm v8 and holding there... the pesky updater reminder went away after several weeks of dismissive "X" pressing...

Hey people on v9 in model S.. when viewing location of the car on the App while car is in motion, does it move smoothly on the App map or does it burst forward in steps like the model 3?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
...model S so I'm v8 and holding there... the pesky updater reminder went away after several weeks of dismissive "X" pressing...
I also noticed the update reminder (and yellow clock icon) was gone today after many weeks of dismissals... then about 10 minutes ago, a fresh update got downloaded. So your reprieve may be short-lived.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I see v9 in our model 3 and it's good for that car with cramped singular console..

but it'd be a huge miss on the model S so I'm v8 and holding there... the pesky updater reminder went away after several weeks of dismissive "X" pressing...

Hey people on v9 in model S.. when viewing location of the car on the App while car is in motion, does it move smoothly on the App map or does it burst forward in steps like the model 3?

Smooth as butter for me.

I also noticed the update reminder (and yellow clock icon) was gone today after many weeks of dismissals... then about 10 minutes ago, a fresh update got downloaded. So your reprieve may be short-lived.
I assume you have to actually press the 'X' to make it go away for any period of time? I always just touch somewhere else on the screen when I drive
what a PITA
If I don't want the update...I don't want the update
I can do it anytime by pressing the clock icon-stop reminding me V9 kinda sucks!

STOP the dumbass nags that you cant get rid of. 6 years should be plenty of time to get that part fixed!
TPMS sensors. I didn't have a set in my racing wheels / please let me acknowledge TMPS 'error' then stop telling me about it!

Just because it now does what you do most often does not negate the fact that the versatility present in V8 is pretty much gone

look, I get why people are upset.

they feel like something was taken away from them. that can be a bitter pill to swallow.

all i'm saying is that there is a reason for the streamlining of the interface in V9.

for me, V8 had features I did not need. was it easy for me to ignore them/not use them?

sure.

are people upset b/c Tesla is dictating how the UI should be used?

sure.

but the manufacturer has a right to manipulate the user experience of their product.

you don't like it?

get another product.

look, I get why people are upset.

they feel like something was taken away from them. that can be a bitter pill to swallow.

all i'm saying is that there is a reason for the streamlining of the interface in V9.

for me, V8 had features I did not need. was it easy for me to ignore them/not use them?

sure.

are people upset b/c Tesla is dictating how the UI should be used?

sure.

but the manufacturer has a right to manipulate the user experience of their product.

you don't like it?

get another product.
V8 had features that you did not need? which? rear camera?

you either miss the entire point of the change we don't like, or you are ignoring it?
V9 does not have features that we do need ( & V9 is a little better on a 2015 or newer car)
V9 is clearly for the 3.

it is a safety/visibility issue

If you don't use your rear camera on top I feel you are not using your car to it's potential (properly)

...it is a safety/visibility issue

If you don't use your rear camera on top I feel you are not using your car to it's potential (properly)
This is getting absurd! You like the rear camera up all the time so everyone must do so or they aren't driving correctly? How about those of us who learned to drive using correctly adjusted mirrors?

I don't even have multi-lane roads where I live so blind spots aren't an issue. Why would I want to watch the cars behind me beyond what I can see in my mirrors? Because you deem it "using your car to it's potential (properly)"? What rubbish!

Regardless, Tesla fixed the rear camera-on-top concern months ago, in a rather rapid response to the complaints of owners, such as those in this thread. The concern now is that one can't select which apps are displayed where, and the maps are always in the background. Also, the custom HVAC controls are less useful and harder to select than in V8. Valid concerns IMO. I can understand why Tesla is making the software more like the Model 3 but I don't much like it, even though I always drove with navigation up anyway.