Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please cite your legal expertise in the field of automobile accident liability in the United States and the precedent(s) that indicate manufacturer responsibility for non-driving vehicle features.

https://www.mcguirewoods.com/news-resources/publications/us-automotive-products-liability.pdf

This one is actually very easy from a legal standpoint. Tesla included this feature in their car and during the sales process touted it as a safety feature. I can personally attest to that and other people have weighed in on the same. It was touted as a driving feature to make up for the poor visibility from the driver's seat.

Tesla removed the safety feature. Received thousands of complains and has refused to take action.

https://www.mcguirewoods.com/news-resources/publications/us-automotive-products-liability.pdf

This one is actually very easy from a legal standpoint. Tesla included this feature in their car and during the sales process touted it as a safety feature. I can personally attest to that and other people have weighed in on the same. It was touted as a driving feature to make up for the poor visibility from the driver's seat.

Tesla removed the safety feature. Received thousands of complains and has refused to take action.

If you are speaking about the presence/absence of the rear-view camera, I wasn't.

Received thousands of complains and has refused to take action.

Facts not in evidence. Less than 500 people have signed the petition, how do you know thousands have complained? How do you know that they haven't taken action internally to add the feature back?

@autarch And boom you were just proven wrong that no action was being taken:

Miguel de Icaza‏ @migueldeicaza 15m15 minutes ago

Replying to @elonmusk
My man, the new UI is driving us insane. Let us dock the camera instead of the map.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 6m6 minutes ago

Replying to @migueldeicaza
Will be in next point release

I wonder if the person who said they sold their Tesla because of the change will regret their decision... :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: RayW
75F669DC-B9CD-4836-8D90-76E02796A7DD.jpeg

PS: The thousands of complains was a quote from Tesla tech support, who told me that the hours of hold time was being caused by "thousands of calls" complaining about the functionality changes.

The reliability of that information is suspect based on other threads on TMC and Reddit for inconsistency on many issues.

It the squeaky wheel was heard apparently

Reactions: MP3Mike
It went on for 14 days DESPITE thousands of complaints. Rollout should have been stopped by Oct 7th, but they kept forcing it and we don't know whether the fix Elon eludes to fixes the other problems.
So, with a little more patients, we will all find out together! Do you think that remedying the camera display area will help you to keep your car after all? I know for myself, nothing could drive me to a glorified Toyota with that awful Darth Vader grill... ugly, just ugly...

Last edited:
I think we need to do a case study on how long it takes for the human eyeball to look right and down a few inches.. Maybe 1/10 of a second? Folks can scream safety issue, majority of folks, etc as fact when really, it isnt true no matter how many times you repeat it.
I timed it today, about 600ms to locate and focus, vs 200ms when it's on the top. So, a half second, which could mean a successfull collision avoidance or not.