Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With V9 they did have release notes available before install, just not directly in the car.

Yanno, it may sound odd, but I took an informal poll at SCs during the last 2 longer road trips this year. Easily 80% of those *owners* with whom I spoke, and I spoke to a surprising number of them (in years past, there have been more tumbleweeds at SCs than cars - not so this year), were not aware of or did not follow either TMC or the Tesla.com fora, nor Electrek.co, nor much in the popular press.

Pairing? What's that?
ESA? What's that?
AP? Yeah, I don't use it.
And the list goes on.

These people, why, they must have lives or something *wry chuckle*

Point being that unless it's in the car, the penetration via direct email and traditional media is quite a bit lower than I would have expected. Every now and then I have to remind myself that forum regulars, well, we are very much in the minority now in TeslaWorld.

Reactions: Behind and davidc18
A few days ago I went with a friend looking to buy a Performance Model 3 and we test drove it. Jumping from my Model S to the Model 3, I could see why it was a good idea to evolve the look & feel of V9 to be similar on both the big and small touchscreens. I can also see why Tesla going back to the V8 look & feel on the big touchscreen would be a step backwards.

However, they don't need to go back to V8. A simple addition that I posted earlier would fix it: They could keep everything in V9 exactly the same and simply add an up-arrow in the upper right corner of the camera display. A tap on that arrow would move the camera up to the top and expose the bottom section for any other app (or the Nav). Model 3 simply wouldn't have the new up-arrow.

After seeing V9 in my Model S, my wife refuses to update her Model S to V9. When I drive her car, its so much better.

Get on it Tesla - this ain't rocket science.

It's not just the camera as I posted in other places it's everything! Every app that I want to use is forced to the bottom of the screen which is not ideal when the bottom of the screen is by my right knee.

Actually very simple. I want what we lost for safety reasons. That includes:

1. Run ANY two apps of my choosing simultaneously and visible on the screen.

2. Let me choose the position of those apps on the screen.

3. Let me choose to make any 1 app of my choosing full screen.

If you want to add UI enhancements give us tabbed browsing to run multiple web pages at the same time.

Thank you.

1. Run ANY two apps of my choosing simultaneously and visible on the screen.

2. Let me choose the position of those apps on the screen.

3. Let me choose to make any 1 app of my choosing full screen.
All of these would be nice but I'm willing to give up a few things:

#1 - Absolutely needed - I'm not willing to give this up.

#2 - I would be satisfied if the only the Nav or Camera were able to be on top since these are the ones I need to fully see with a quick glance without moving my right knee and right arm.

#3 - I would be satisfied if the Nav was the only app able to be full screen

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
How is a driver required to look away from the road while driving a Tesla vehicle running v9 (or any version of the Tesla software)? Note the bolded word.
You're right. Don't use the climate control, don't switch between music/radio and phone, don't do this don't do that and no, you're not required to do anything but look at the road and steer the car. You always had to look away to do things, but you didn't have to look down to the bottom of the screen. Please don't respond to this, you clearly want to argue and I do not.

Many of us use this layout; camera on all the time, and media player (or energy app) on, no map needed.

Messages from Tesla indicate that they are breaking this in "version 9" of the software by forcing the map to cover half the screen and only allowing one other app to be up at a time.

This is a petition from Tesla Model S owners.

Tesla: Don't make this change -- it constitutes damage to our cars, by removing valuable functionality. We demand that Tesla retain the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and we request that they maintain this in future versions of the software. If you do not retain this functionality, we demand permanent warranty support for cars running the older (full-functionality) version of the software.

Anyone who agrees, please add your name and whatever other identifiying information might be useful. We can also discuss how best to send this message to Tesla (who are notoriously poor at listenting to customers).

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013

I agree and do not like that these features were broken in V9:
- no more two windows of your choosing
- no more placement of windows of your choosing
- no more menu at top of screen, bottom menu on vertical screen makes no sense and more unsafe
-

That’s the official response Service Centers are told to give from the memo. Nobody here has enough insight to answer that question.

One of the hackers that knows these things has said that Tesla has implemented anti-roll back features into the components. He also said that it may be possible to roll back to a different version that is in the same "family version".

9.0.1 - Non Rewrite. UI based options.
Please:
  1. Allow button to "Flip the UI". So "Apps" are on top, nav on bottom. This isn't a rewrite, it is just the layout. This will allow camera at top.
  2. Make Camera Button next to controls instead of Music. This isn't a rewrite. Just UI. Music is an "App". Camera is a safety feature.
  3. Allow setting to "Pin" the Camera. So after timeout of a non-used app such as phone or music. it goes back to the camera. (Phone and Music can be controlled on the steering wheel and on Driver UI. - Camera can't).
edit - this is a temp fix. Two app customization next.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18 and gavine
I think this is just temporary. Big task was to port the code to S and X from 3. After it’s quirks are ironed out, they will add missing features back to S X.

tumblr_p6gpcvAQuK1v4u49oo1_400.gif

• Love
Reactions: bredi and davidc18
That’s the official response Service Centers are told to give from the memo. Nobody here has enough insight to answer that question.
Because body modules are updated sometimes as well, a firmware reversion is.... Undesireable. You'd need to reflash each body modules as well, and do it successfully. Service centers can do it, under direct instruction from each engineering case. But a rollback is not an option under normal circumstances.

I didn't. If I want them evaluated, I'll ask for it, after having assessed the expertise of the person from whom I'm requesting an evaluation.

It's possible Tesla won't listen to our howls of outrage, but I tell you something they will listen to: the first lawsuit stemming from a bad accident wherein the safety compromises of v.9 become a central issue. All a lawyer has to do is tap into forums like this where people are yelling about the safety aspects of v.9's insistence on taking your eyes off the road -- case won. Tesla was warned and did nothing.

Please cite your legal expertise in the field of automobile accident liability in the United States and the precedent(s) that indicate manufacturer responsibility for non-driving vehicle features.