Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I stand with Tesla on this one. I believe they're making the right decision. The future of the company and the public's perception of EV safety is far more important than any of us having our car suspensions drop 1" on the highway for the next 2 months. IMHO, Tesla owners concerned about temporarily losing the low suspension height at highway speeds are overreacting just as much as the media's reaction to the fires.

For the record, I drive on the highway every day during my commute, and don't notice a significant loss in efficiency. This is temporary folks. Suck it up for two months, for the good of something more important.

Another thing that bugs the crap out of me: can we stop complaining for a second about one thing that Tesla takes away temporarily for the overall good, and say thanks that we drive a car that gets better the longer we own it?

Yup. On all counts. Loving my new Screen Cleaning Mode, TPMS Reset, and Wiper Maintenance Mode. Not at all noticing the extra height.

Wading back into the foray I told myself I was done with, but one (hopefully) last attempt. I agree 100% with Elon that this is NOT a safety issue. It is not a performance issue--at least for me. I have never even driven my Tesla and I probably wouldn't be able to tell a .79" difference anyway with the way I drive. It is not a loss of mileage or even the loss of the feature Elon himself said is the coolest feature of the car. If, as others have suggested, it is "the perception of safety" then let the facts speak for themselves. Zero deaths. Zero major injury. And a car that tells you something is wrong and to please exit the vehicle. To me, these are nothing short of amazing. My problem is that someone felt they had the right to get into my vehicle and remove something I bought and paid for, and all because THEY thought it was a good idea. Now if it does not keep me safer--their words, not mine!--and probably provides an absolutely minimum obstacle avoidance capability, why did they think they were doing a good thing for me in removing what was mine? If, in January, those same people decide 18" ground clearance is safer...no not safer this is not a safety issue...so I guess I have to say better...is everyone going to be OK with that decision being a mandatory decision that you have no say in the matter? Of course not. Chipper you are being ridiculous! Yet last week I would have thought the same about a mandatory update that removed functionality without my knowledge or approval.
Yes, Tesla has provided wonderful service to its owners. Yes, Tesla has updated and given away technology that other companies would not even THINK about. And I hope they will continue to provide these kinds of updates, but I would imagine the vast majority of those items were documented and were explained in release notes and not hidden and surreptitiously applied, or worse, made mandatory. Yes, Tesla has said it is only temporary. My concern is without a user outcry they may think they can continue to operate without regard to us, the loyal users and the "sales and advertising force" for the company we love. My plea is that Tesla will hear these outcries and at least have the courage and courtesy to let me know when they are taking something away from me.

Wading back into the foray I told myself I was done with, but one (hopefully) last attempt. I agree 100% with Elon that this is NOT a safety issue. It is not a performance issue--at least for me. I have never even driven my Tesla and I probably wouldn't be able to tell a .79" difference anyway with the way I drive. It is not a loss of mileage or even the loss of the feature Elon himself said is the coolest feature of the car. If, as others have suggested, it is "the perception of safety" then let the facts speak for themselves. Zero deaths. Zero major injury. And a car that tells you something is wrong and to please exit the vehicle. To me, these are nothing short of amazing. My problem is that someone felt they had the right to get into my vehicle and remove something I bought and paid for, and all because THEY thought it was a good idea. Now if it does not keep me safer--their words, not mine!--and probably provides an absolutely minimum obstacle avoidance capability, why did they think they were doing a good thing for me in removing what was mine? If, in January, those same people decide 18" ground clearance is safer...no not safer this is not a safety issue...so I guess I have to say better...is everyone going to be OK with that decision being a mandatory decision that you have no say in the matter? Of course not. Chipper you are being ridiculous! Yet last week I would have thought the same about a mandatory update that removed functionality without my knowledge or approval.
Yes, Tesla has provided wonderful service to its owners. Yes, Tesla has updated and given away technology that other companies would not even THINK about. And I hope they will continue to provide these kinds of updates, but I would imagine the vast majority of those items were documented and were explained in release notes and not hidden and surreptitiously applied, or worse, made mandatory. Yes, Tesla has said it is only temporary. My concern is without a user outcry they may think they can continue to operate without regard to us, the loyal users and the "sales and advertising force" for the company we love. My plea is that Tesla will hear these outcries and at least have the courage and courtesy to let me know when they are taking something away from me.

Nicely said! I completely understand what was done and why it was done. What I don't understand is how it was done! The reduced functionality was hidden beneath a list of much anticipated upgrades and enhancements. Really? Are we Model S owners being treated as children with Papa Elon deciding what is best for us? Really? I am an adult and expect to be treated like an adult. Let Tesla present the facts and I will make the decision about how I want to use my property. Please note, there has been no recall. Did Toyota take away the gas pedals from their vehicles suspected of having sticking accelerators during their investigation? I think not and had they tried, it would not have been tolerated. Bottom line: Tesla is not my "Big Brother". I purchased a product from them and I expect to be able to use it in the way and how I deem acceptable. As such, I take full responsibility as an adult for any ramifications of my decisions.

Last edited:
Sorry, I stand with Tesla on this one. I believe they're making the right decision. The future of the company and the public's perception of EV safety is far more important than any of us having our car suspensions drop 1" on the highway for the next 2 months. IMHO, Tesla owners concerned about temporarily losing the low suspension height at highway speeds are overreacting just as much as the media's reaction to the fires.

For the record, I drive on the highway every day during my commute, and don't notice a significant loss in efficiency. This is temporary folks. Suck it up for two months, for the good of something more important.

Another thing that bugs the crap out of me: can we stop complaining for a second about one thing that Tesla takes away temporarily for the overall good, and say thanks that we drive a car that gets better the longer we own it?

Well said. If they had a history of each update making the car worse then maybe but each update has for the most part improved the car all while sitting in my garage.

Nicely said! I completely understand what was done and why it was done. What I don't understand is how it was done! The reduced functionality was hidden beneath a list of much anticipated upgrades and enhancements. Really? Are we Model S owners being treated as children with Papa Elon deciding what is best for us? Really? I am an adult and expect to be treated like an adult. Let Tesla present the facts and I will make the decision about how I want to use my property. Please note, there has been no recall. Did Toyota take away the gas pedals from their vehicles suspected of having sticking accelerators during their investigation? I think not and had they tried, it would not have been tolerated. Bottom line: Tesla is not my "Big Brother". I purchased a product from them and I expect to be able to use it in the way and how I deem acceptable. As such, I take full responsibility as an adult for any ramifications of my decisions.

I'm pretty sure taking away the gas pedal would disable the car. The Model S still drives after the update.

SFO agreed 1000%. Well then, I'll up you to 2000%! I would still like the ability to cruise at an additional .55" above standard (same as the non-air cars)

Last edited:
Because it's not all about you, that's why. There's a much bigger picture here, like the survival of Tesla and what they are trying to do for all of us and future generations.

At first the pettiness displayed over the last couple of weeks was mildly entertaining, then disappointing, and now it's just downright 1st grader temper tantrum territory. Way to give the naysayers and media enough fodder to last a lifetime. Tesla is fighting for its life here and fighting for the lives of your grandchildren and you just keep wanting to pee all over it. Keep it up and some of you may just get your wish of seeing Elon throw in the towel. If he does that, you'll have more to complain about then a two month wait for optional suspension height at highway speeds.

That about sums it up for me. Well said. I just sent you some positive rep points.

Bottom line: Tesla is not my "Big Brother".

Pretty sure Tesla has no interest in being your big brother. It's not about you. I'm sure they'd rather not be taking away the low suspension either.

I purchased a product from them and I expect to be able to use it in the way and how I deem acceptable. As such, I take full responsibility as an adult for any ramifications of my decisions.

Do you take full responsibility for the purchase agreement you read and signed (you read it, right?) in which Tesla states that software-controlled features may change at Tesla's discretion? Because if so, Tesla's ability to do what they did IS the ramification of your decision.

BTW, does anyone here think Tesla WANTED to do this? Do you really think Elon woke up a few weeks ago and said "Gee, I'd love to remove everyone's ability to use the suspension height change at highway speeds!" Nope. Tesla's hand was forced by the ignorance of the news media, the shorts, and the other forces for whom the failure of Tesla is beneficial.

We're driving an incredible, revolutionary, ground-breaking machine and we're here bitching at Tesla about this little temporary thing. Look at the big picture. There's more going on here than just you and your car. In the end, Elon has said that we'll get the control back...and it sounds like more control than we had before. If that update doesn't come, you have a right to be upset...as I said before, hold him to his word. But let's cut them a little slack here--they're having a rough couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Tesla has no interest in being your big brother. It's not about you. I'm sure they'd rather not be taking away the low suspension either.

Do you take full responsibility for the purchase agreement you read and signed (you read it, right?) in which Tesla states that software-controlled features may change at Tesla's discretion? Because if so, Tesla's ability to do what they did IS the ramification of your decision.

BTW, does anyone here think Tesla WANTED to do this? Do you really think Elon woke up a few weeks ago and said "Gee, I'd love to remove everyone's ability to use the suspension height change at highway speeds!" Nope. Tesla's hand was forced by the ignorance of the news media, the shorts, and the other forces for whom the failure of Tesla is beneficial.

We're driving an incredible, revolutionary, ground-breaking machine and we're here bitching at Tesla about this little temporary thing. Look at the big picture. There's more going on here than just you and your car. In the end, Elon has said that we'll get the control back...and it sounds like more control than we had before. If that update doesn't come, you have a right to be upset...as I said before, hold him to his word. But let's cut them a little slack here--they're having a rough couple of weeks.

Agree 2001%.

People keep acting like it's their constitutional right to have their air suspension lower at highway speeds, and if it doesn't, the car is undriveable (is that a word?). The contract we all signed, as Todd points out, gives Tesla the right to update the software as it chooses. You don't like that? You think it's Big Brother? Don't buy the car. Go buy a Panamera then. If Tesla had had perfect communication about this change before 5.8, people would still have the same reaction -- "no way, you can't take away my air suspension!!! Waaaaahhhh waaahhhh. I want to be able to pick and choose what functionality I get and when. Waaaahhhh wahhhhh." Enough people, just drive the car and stop threatening petitions and lawsuits and demanding refunds.

I'm not sure that this has ever been done before where a specific functionality of a vehicle has been removed without the specific permission of the owner. I understand the blanket permission that was granted when you accepted the vehicle was signed and acknowledged.

I do not feel that this petition is necessary at all. I do like my car to lower at normal highway speeds, and am going to skip v5.8 (currently running v5.6) until the new version is available in January, this is not a huge issue for me.

I do not feel that this petition is necessary at all. I do like my car to lower at normal highway speeds, and am going to skip v5.8 (currently running v5.6) until the new version is available in January, this is not a huge issue for me.

That's cuz you didn't get hood winked. I fell for the bait. Had I waited two hours in reading these forums, I'd still be happily on 5.6

You can bet from here on out, I'll be waiting about 3 to 4 weeks before I move to *any* upgrades... Lest I get another sour Easter egg.

Last edited:
My Audi had its Launch Control disabled during a service without prior notification or explicit explanation. Apparently this happened to all the owners of that particular model. Like many (all?) service contracts, the small print gave them permission to make mandatory modifications to my car for safety and other reasons.

Put it into context? How so? Bottom line, 1) even set at LOW, the MS is still higher off the ground than other production cars, 2) keeping it at standard height doesn't eliminate the risk of running over debris (nothing eliminates that risk), 3) and it was taken away prior to any communication whatsoever. So what is the 'context'? It doesn't do anything other than take away a paid feature.

And I will bet that the feature isn't re introduce in January...don't get me wrong, love the car and company, but they've missed on EVERY date they've put out there...every one

1. Vampire Drain fix
2. Supercharger Rollout
3. Original Delivery Dates
4. Center Console Insert
5. etc etc etc....

The context is that it is temporary. By temporarily disabling lowering at freeway speeds, Tesla has made it less likely that another strike will occur. I believe this was done as a precaution until the NHTSA can complete its investigation. Tesla and NHTSA are in possession of details and facts that we are not. Clearly the lower suspension may be a contributing factor that is being looked into by both Tesla and NHTSA. A timeline was provided to restore the functionality in January, presumably when the NHTSA would have completed its investigation. I believe this is a prudent measure and I have no objection. Obviously I am only speaking for myself.

The change raises the height in all ride modes by ~5/16".
The change eliminates lowering of the car at all at standard highway speeds, and to lower at all requires one to hit ~100mph and then maintain speed above ~70mph.

I think folks are too quick to minimize the changes here; the first bothers me almost as much as the second.

PETITION SIGNED.

- - - Updated - - -

To those complaining about this not being the car you paid for, you're right. When I bought it, there was no heading up orientation on the map.

I'm surprised to keep reading this false equivalency. Added functionality isn't the same as functionality reduced/removed. Tesla told me "cool stuff added via software," not "cool stuff ('temporarily') disabled via software" when I was looking into the car. Sorry, but it's not the same thing at all.

Before you or whoever else jumps on me, no, I don't plan to sue Tesla. ;-) But also, no, I don't plan to upgrade to 5.8. But I plan to see how things progress between now and "January" (let's be honest, more like March if we're lucky, the way Tesla generally goes ;-) ). Hopefully but skeptical, as Tesla's taught me to be.

I feel strongly that discussion the last couple of days would've been very different if Tesla had communicated better, i.e., before pushing out 5.8. Sorry, but it's true--how they do things like this really colors perception.

Anyway, still a fan (but a pragmatic one, I believe).

This thread makes me sad.

I was excited to be able to own such an awesome car, and part of that excitement was due to feeling like I was part of something bigger and historic. I guess I just expect this sort of thing as part of that, and I get it. I don't feel like I was duped, nor do I feel like Tesla should have told me first. They are doing what I clearly see is the right move at the right time to continue their mission.

I did know in advance of accepting 5.8 that this change was there, and downloaded it that day, but had I found out after it would not have upset me, I fully agreed to updates and have been thrilled with the ones I've gotten so far. Am I thrilled with this one particular one? No, of course not. Am I going to throw a tantrum over it? No, of course not. It's silly, people.

If you want to roll back to something, roll back to the ICE or hybrid you had before. For me, I'll be happy with what I have, and look forward to many years of continued software updates.