Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how the media would react if GM rolled out a change (assuming they had the capability) to suddenly make their entire fleet of vehicles 1 mpg less efficient without telling anyone because "they felt like doing it".

To be fair, I do a LOT of freeway driving and have not noticed any appreciable change in my Wh/mi numbers. Oddly, if anything it's slightly better with 5.8.

I have not noticed any difference in the driving experience since the suspension change and given the PR situation it is really better for the company's survival to have made this change. Sometimes a slightly unpopular decision has to be made for the the greater good. This really is an insignificant change albeit temporary. AND we will be getting even more functionality in the long run. Lets help the company move forward. Flooding them with requests to roll back software is just going backwards and monopolizes Tesla's time going nowhere. Time is of the essence and Model X and Model E are awaiting development! Sorry, I won't be participating in this petition.

I don't care about the temporary change as much as I care about the fact that they have rolled out a untested buggy change that not even Ownership knows how it is supposed to work:

Ownership:
"In Ownership Experience, we are unaware of a speed that would re-enable the ‘Low’ setting, though at speeds near 100 miles per hour, it may be a safety requirement. We simply do not have information saying one way or another."

At the very least they should publish a release note so that we can confirm that the car actually is behaving according to intended design! (Rather than us all trying to infer the design from how it is behaving.)

I do not support this petition. Have tested my car on the highway at varying speeds and cannot notice any appreciable difference in performance or range. A month or two without the lowest setting option is not going to make any significant difference in my use or enjoyment of this marvelous car. A petition to Tesla on this subject is a waste of time and accomplishes nothing.

I do not support this petition.

However, I do appreciate why many owners are unhappy with how this firmware upgrade was handled. While it may be true that Tesla has the legal right to make these changes without notifying the owners, it is counterproductive to provide release notes on other changes and to deliberately choose not to provide any guidance for such a controversial issue until there was a hue and cry from owners.

I am an avid supporter of Tesla, but owners remaining silent and ignoring failures in communications doesn’t help to rectify the situation, nor strengthen the company.

Larry

I do not support this petition.

However, I do appreciate why many owners are unhappy with how this firmware upgrade was handled. While it may be true that Tesla has the legal right to make these changes without notifying the owners, it is counterproductive to provide release notes on other changes and to deliberately choose not to provide any guidance for such a controversial issue until there was a hue and cry from owners.

I am an avid supporter of Tesla, but owners remaining silent and ignoring failures in communications doesn’t help to rectify the situation, nor strengthen the company.

Larry
i am also not in support of petition. You all need to read between the lines. This upgrade rushed out because of NTSb investigation and need to show them as being proactive. I am hoping this will satisfy NTSb but suspect the way the NTSb anouncement is worded that it will not. It doesn't say more dangerous only to investigate whether battery that are impaled will ignite. I mean they aren't asking in the announcement whether it's adequately protected or ignites more frequently. Would like to see same investigation of ice car. Is there a risk of gas tanks that are impaled to ignite?

I would like to see a performance review, acceleration, braking, handling, skidpad etc of the model S before and after 5.8. Perhaps someone who has not been forced to 5.8 yet would make their car available to one of the car publications. I'll loan mine at 5.8

I think this entire situation has gotten way out of hand and people are getting far too upset over what is essentially nothing.

The functionality will return in January. The difference between Low and Standard is under an inch or so, I believe. Everyone who is complaining that this is going to cause them great inconvenience and range loss during extended holiday driving to family and friends should really do their homework in order to determine whether they are being rational. At least one person has already used this reasoning, which I find ludicrous in the absence of any data. It's almost like some people are looking for a reason to be upset, which is more of a personal issue.

If Tesla originally programmed all suspension modes to be 3/4-inch higher than they actually were, and did not change the behavior in 5.8, nobody would be complaining and nobody would have an issue and nobody would know what difference that 3/4-inch would make. Nobody would be lambasting Tesla for Low mode being as high as Standard mode because nobody would have any idea.

There are far more important things to worry about.

If anything, owners should be upset at our freeway system and why officials don't give a hoot about making sure our roadways are free of such dangerous debris. Other countries have dedicated lanes for commercial vehicles, why don't we? Who owned those trailer hitches that impacted the Model S vehicles, why has there been no effort to identify the owner and blame them for these occurrences?

i am also not in support of petition. You all need to read between the lines. This upgrade rushed out because of NTSb investigation and need to show them as being proactive. I am hoping this will satisfy NTSb but suspect the way the NTSb anouncement is worded that it will not. It doesn't say more dangerous only to investigate whether battery that are impaled will ignite. I mean they aren't asking in the announcement whether it's adequately protected or ignites more frequently. Would like to see same investigation of ice car. Is there a risk of gas tanks that are impaled to ignite?

Again Chickenlittle is level headed and reasonable.

Much ado about nothing. Give it a couple of days and you'll get used to it. I already don't remember what 5.6 felt like in comparison. Other than the disabling of "low" I consider these changes to be nothing more than ongoing refinements to the way the car drives and handles. I have no problem with Tesla making these the best cars they can.

Side note: If you get a chance google "The 14 habits of truly miserable people" and you'll gain some insight as to why certain people always need to go against the grain and always have to take the contrarian view. Combine that with an innate sense of entitlement and you've got the perfect storm for a truly unhappy life. It's just people being people. ;)

Side note II: There IS no petition by the way… There never was.

Last edited: