Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew the rates supposedly went up 9% today but apparently the EV2A rate had a 4 cent increase. Offpeak went from 20 to 24 cents. That's a 20% increase if you use most of your energy from the grid off peak.

Yeah we were talking about this in the thread about how to interpret your bills. The EV2A rate keeps moon-shotting because PG&E knows the vast majority of people on EV2-A are EV drivers who by and large are more wealthy. They have been jacking up EV rates for years and the EV drivers never seem to complain.

Like this TMC's main auto-sub-forums are filled with tens of thousands of EV drivers in NorCal; who presumably are using the EV rates to charge. And hardly anyone ever says anything about this. People just see petrol prices shooting through the roof and keep thinking Electricity is a bargain in comparison.

Here's an article from 2019 where nobody cared about a +25% increase back then either.

PG&E could probably triple the EV2A off-peak rate right now and I bet nobody would care lol.

Reactions: cwerdna and faimui
It also makes off peak rates the same year round, which I guess makes some sense. Still, a big price increase over the last five years!

I'm still super pissed PG&E wouldn't let me add a few extra solar panels in anticipation of buying an EV. Jerks.

Yes, I take every thread about PG&E to beat my dead horse that PG&E sucks because they suck suck suck suck.

I don't have a bill yet for March, but I've never been able to jive that document with my actual PG&E bills.
My latest bill (2/10/22) shows $0.05033/kWh Off peak.
All I was charged for electric was the $9.98/m NEM charge.
The last 3 years I've had a yearly solar surplus (True up), but that may change as I got my 2PW2 in Jan, and M3 in May.

1646369291727.png

Well, thanks for sharing your feelings! I never would have guessed :eek:

;)

For real, why aren't more TMC users in the auto-sub-forums pissed that the costs to charge their cars goes up 20%? And this is 20% even if you charge in the daytime using that really cheap solar energy that Zabe is always complaining about having a cratered wholesale market.

If the cost of gasoline goes from $5 to $6 per gallon, people on normal ICE car forums lose their bananas. EV drivers should be pissed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll and cwerdna
I don't have a bill yet for March, but I've never been able to jive that document with my actual PG&E bills.
My latest bill (2/10/22) shows $0.05033/kWh Off peak.
All I was charged for electric was the $9.98/m NEM charge.
The last 3 years I've had a yearly solar surplus (True up), but that may change as I got my 2PW2 in Jan, and M3 in May.

View attachment 776490

You're picture appears to be from your "blue header" PG&E bill. Which seems to only show the generation costs per kWh. Your black and white bill (the one that looks like it was generated on a mainframe running COBOL) will have the remaining distribution and transmission and other fees that you're being impacted by through NEM.

Or, you can look at the PG&E EV2-A general rate case submissions and compare the latest March 1, 2022 rates to the previous rates (which is probably what sorka did).

Although it's not a straight 20% increase if you consider that you're net metering at peak time back onto the grid part of that usage at the same higher 4 cents per kwh rate. But it's still a rate increase because we use more kwh off peak than we put back onto the grid during peak.

Although it's not a straight 20% increase if you consider that you're net metering at peak time back onto the grid part of that usage at the same higher 4 cents per kwh rate. But it's still a rate increase because we use more kwh off peak than we put back onto the grid during peak.

Keep in mind there are a surprising number of high-mileage commuters and people with SGIP batteries who are on EV2-A and don't have solar or NEM.

Unfortunately it is still the lowest rate for charging a car, wonder if Supercharger rates are going to change. Might have to start going back to the office to charge for free.
I’ve been supercharging a whole lot more lately with some very convenient local stations opening up and the fact that it’s “free” for my dinosaur Model S. Tesla might just have to eat some of this increase. ;)

• Love
Reactions: dcp123 and sorka
For real, why aren't more TMC users in the auto-sub-forums pissed that the costs to charge their cars goes up 20%? And this is 20% even if you charge in the daytime using that really cheap solar energy that Zabe is always complaining about having a cratered wholesale market.

If the cost of gasoline goes from $5 to $6 per gallon, people on normal ICE car forums lose their bananas. EV drivers should be pissed.
No one on the forum complains more or is pissed more than you are.