Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did the math and the new rate change will increase my annual bill by $600, that's a 24% increase.
The news and plain docs talk about the average user which either fooled the regulators or appeased the regulators. Who effectively gets the lower increase to get to the 13 or 14% bandied about? My eva2 care went up more than 20% at the three time rates.

Last edited:
There still are two publicly accessible DC FCs + some L2s near me that are 19 cents per kWh, so it's been cheaper to charge there than at home for a long time.

Blue Dot app claims 20% discount on Supercharging allows for 30 cent per kWh charging but only (for now) on EVgo and ChargePoint for sessions started from Bluedot's app. There's also a Boost program that lets you get 25 cent per kWh DC FCing at the above but their whole help center (with KB articles) is broken now and has been for at least at day... hmmm...

Bluedot is pretty goofy at best but I can confirm the 30 cent per kWh charging from having used it but I just joined recently.

There's a long running thread at Log in on that app but you'll need a free account there to see it.
What is Bluedot Boost Program? | Bluedot Help Center is the help article on Bluedot Boost. Apparently, because I did charge so much in my 1st month, I'm on the Boost program for now. I see all EVgo and ChargePoint DC FCs at 25 cents per kWh. Not sure if I will bother with the below though since I rarely use paid public charging due to having free L2 juice from work.
"Maintaining Your Bluedot Boost Status:
To keep your Bluedot Boost status, be sure to use your app to charge and pay for the charging session at least 3 times per month. Our team will review each user’s charging sessions at the end of every month, and users who qualify will be notified via email."

>> To become a Bluedot Boost member, it is sufficient to charge your vehicle at least five times in the first month

I only charge maybe once a week, so I wonder if charging like
5 times for 10 minutes the same day (by just plugging and un-plugging, instead of one plugging session) at the same location would still qualify?

>> To keep your Bluedot Boost status, be sure to use your app to charge and pay for the charging session at least 3 times per month.

I mostly charge at home and use Fast Charging when driving away from my home, but I don't see any Tesla Superchargers on the Bluedot map.
So I guess, you can only use a CCS charger like EVGo ?

Note: I never used EVGo because of the $0.99 Session fee that I found annoying in case you get disconnected or need to try several time to get it working.
- You can avoid the Session Fee by getting a subscription, but in this case I wonder if this cancel out the Bluedot Boost rate?

>> Charging Elsewhere (with other Apps but using the Bluedot card) enjoy a 20% cashback on the charge

I set my Tesla account with Bluedot but I didn't noticed any cash back (I supposed what is called Oxygen Points) after using a Tesla Supercharger?
- Does anyone get more successful getting cash ack when using a Tesla SuperCharger? I wonder if I am missing any step or setting?

If the Tesla Supercharger cannot be used to get the Boost rate, I wondr if Bluedot will allow the NACS plug (at a not Tesla charger) to get the booster rate?

>> To become a Bluedot Boost member, it is sufficient to charge your vehicle at least five times in the first month

I only charge maybe once a week, so I wonder if charging like
5 times for 10 minutes the same day (by just plugging and un-plugging, instead of one plugging session) at the same location would still qualify?
I don't know but I already qualified for boost as I had 6 successful sessions within my 1st month (actually within the 1st week).
>> To keep your Bluedot Boost status, be sure to use your app to charge and pay for the charging session at least 3 times per month.

I mostly charge at home and use Fast Charging when driving away from my home, but I don't see any Tesla Superchargers on the Bluedot map.
So I guess, you can only use a CCS charger like EVGo ?
Using their app, you can only start sessions on ChargePoint and EVgo, so for DC FCing, you'd need to use CCS or CHAdeMO. Some EVgo sites have an integrated CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter bolted to the side of the unit: Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging (example at EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers). Unfortunately, the particular site in that video (a Walmart) no longer has ANY DC FCs. The two EVgo ones was removed awhile ago and the same thing has happened at other Walmarts in CA.

I can't speak to whether J1772 sessions on ChargePoint and EVgo started from their app count. Maybe?

Note: I never used EVGo because of the $0.99 Session fee that I found annoying in case you get disconnected or need to try several time to get it working.
- You can avoid the Session Fee by getting a subscription, but in this case I wonder if this cancel out the Bluedot Boost rate?
I charged at least had 4 sessions (1 was a failure where it stopped almost immediately) on EVgo on the same day. I was just charged the flat rate of 30 cents per kWh. There was no session fee on any session. I don't have any paid EVgo membership. I started all these sessions from the Bluedot app. It's just the 30 or 25 cents (for me now) per kWh. And, since I did all of that charging on the day they designated as free charging (12/28/23), I received a credit for all sessions that day ("4" EVgo + 2 ChargePoint: $28.90). :)

>> Charging Elsewhere (with other Apps but using the Bluedot card) enjoy a 20% cashback on the charge

I set my Tesla account with Bluedot but I didn't noticed any cash back (I supposed what is called Oxygen Points) after using a Tesla Supercharger?
- Does anyone get more successful getting cash ack when using a Tesla SuperCharger? I wonder if I am missing any step or setting?

If the Tesla Supercharger cannot be used to get the Boost rate, I wondr if Bluedot will allow the NACS plug (at a not Tesla charger) to get the booster rate?
I can't speak to that. Sorry. Again, it looks like boost requires each of those sessions to be started from within the Bluedot app (which can't happen on Tesla Superchargers), and so if it's on EVgo or ChargePoint, you can get the 30 (or 25) cents per kWh, do the free charging day thing, rack up qualified sessions for boost/maintain it, etc. If not, doesn't seems like it counts.

As I said, some EVgo stations have a NACS plug via integrated CHAdeMO adapter. That should count since it's on EVgo and looks just like CHAdeMO to EVgo but that adapter is limited to 50 kW. Eventually, some ChargePoint stations will have NACS plugs (Google for site:chargepoint.com nacs support) and I guess more EVgo too. None of this NACS and Supercharger stuff applies to me right now since I don't have any Tesla, just a CCS car. I was bringing up Bluedot in light of Perpetual Greed & Extortion's price increases.

Again, Log in is a much busier thread on this app but you'll need an account there to see it. I've not read all of it.

I don't know where in CA you are, but at PGE 2024 Rates I mentioned some high schools that (found on Plugshare) that per Powerflex app for those locations are only 10 cents per kWh for J1772 level 2...

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
Got my first new bill. Pge cares. Off peak +23.9%. Mid +14.8%. Peak +14.3%. 13% my Aunt Fanny.

Color me waiting in a hurry for the new scheme. Can’t say what it will to to non cares though, but this time, cares gets it in the shorts.

And that’s on their CARES plan. 🤯
of would be interesting to know what plans, by pct, cares eligible folks are on. In our save, it is our disable daughter who qualifies. We do well (parents). Given when time comes we are gone, we try to save what we can for our daughter. (As a point to anyone who would wonder why we work hard to use all things on her behalf.)

What I would really like to see, and I will try to work it up soon, is the same results for all plans, cares or not. I suspect the actual rate increase is more than the “dollars per month” claimed, or Pge figured many will not be afford to use more, as the reason the monthly cost would be less in average.

Reactions: buckets0fun
People generally don't change behavior until they experience the shock of the rate increase after they see the bill. In reality, most people's electricity consumption is not really discretionary. I, for example, can't change my usage that much except to charge my car more at work. At least during the Winter rate season the $/kWh is now half what it is at home.

Looks like it'll be getting even worse in March.

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
Reactions: buckets0fun
  • Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
As I posted in another thread:
New PDFs have gone up for with slight rate changes that went into effect March 1, 2024. Examples below:
https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf (what I'm on since I don't charge at home)

MDC going up to $0.39167 is what caught my eye. Assuming NBCs are $.0313 (anyone confirm?) then we can pull 4567 kWh from grid annually without additional charges.

MDC going up to $0.39167 is what caught my eye. Assuming NBCs are $.0313 (anyone confirm?) then we can pull 4567 kWh from grid annually without additional charges.
The MDC only went up by $0.01555/day since January. March 2023 was the same as January 2024. March 2022 was $0.34810/day, a 12.5% increase.

Over the same period, March 2022 -> March 2024 Off-Peak EV charging on EV2-A went up from $0.24480 to $0.34578/kWh, a 41.25% increase.

I don't think any solar salespeople had the gumption to forecast this kind of rate increases and the impact it would have on people's solar payoff timeframes.

I'm guessing EV2-A will change again soon due to this today: