Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disconnect from the grid then. You can’t because my statements are fact. Live in your fantasy world….

Lol, your statements are definitely not fact. Did you even read that whitepaper authored by someone that is more expert on this topic than you or I would ever be? Or would you prefer to live in your fantasy world believing in the class warfare?

Lol, go check out that thread already man. You're clearly triggered at all those homeowners who have put solar on their rooftops in California. Many have presented examples addressing the "cost shift" thing you've got bouncing around in your head. The cost shift is a manufactured class warfare smokescreen that the IOUs designed to pit homeowners against one another instead of rallying in a unified way against the IOUs.

Edit: if you have time, check out this filing from Dr. Faruqui on the issue you think is criminal. Let's all agree PG&E sucks; and stop taking out our aggressions on one another.
https://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Efile/G000/M440/K090/440090638.PDF
Okay. If the product is so valuable disconnect from the grid and use your solar panels above your vaulted ceiling. You can’t because you need to force feed your “valuable energy” to your neighbor. I’m sorry you got scammed but don’t make your neighbors pay for your mistakes.

Okay. If the product is so valuable disconnect from the grid and use your solar panels above your vaulted ceiling. You can’t because you need to force feed your “valuable energy” to your neighbor. I’m sorry you got scammed but don’t make your neighbors pay for your mistakes.

For real man... post your uninformed rants about residential solar in that NEM 3.0 thread instead of posting them here. You'll get much more interesting responses.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the definition of “fact” if you think my solar panels necessarily and harmfully impact my neighbors, financially or otherwise.

Which IOU do you work for?

Lol, imagine if the 7,100 MW* of residential solar capacity ending 2021 wasn't paid for by all those homeowners. That'd be at least $18 billion extra dollars (at $2.50 per watt) the IOUs would have spent in just capital expenditures on generation. Transmission and distribution would be another what... another $18 billion? And yet, some people really think energy rates would have gone down if PG&E and the IOUs did the investing. Talk about being tricked by the IOUs.

* data from California's stats board here

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
Lol, imagine if the 7,100 MW* of residential solar capacity ending 2021 wasn't paid for by all those homeowners. That'd be at least $18 billion extra dollars (at $2.50 per watt) the IOUs would have spent in just capital expenditures on generation. Transmission would be another what... $18 billion? And yet, some people really think energy rates would have gone down if PG&E and the IOUs did the investing. Talk about being tricked by the IOUs.

* data from California's stats board here
Not true. There’s plenty of extra capacity, they just turn it down when the sun is shining. When the sun isn’t shining they still need max capacity.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the definition of “fact” if you think my solar panels necessarily and harmfully impact my neighbors, financially or otherwise.
I do think concerns about grid stability from too much renewable generation are valid though. Looking at the CAISO data at this hour, there is a total demand of almost 20,000 MW but a net demand of only about 3,500 MW. But the proper way to address this is to have home solar inverters curtail exports automatically by either having them communicate with the grid or incorporating droop speed control into them (although unlike in a generator, this would control net exports rather than total generation), not by refusing to allow people to build renewable generation at all.

Can you define “Grid Stability”.

The issue with current rooftop solar inverters is that they just pump out as much electricity as they can and can't be controlled. This can be a problem if net demand goes to zero and the only stuff still left generating cannot be curtailed. But the solution is smarter inverters, not denial of permits. In order to not require fossil fuels on the hottest days, we need the ability to curtail on low demand days.

The issue with current rooftop solar inverters is that they just pump out as much electricity as they can and can't be controlled. This can be a problem if net demand goes to zero and the only stuff still left generating cannot be curtailed. But the solution is smarter inverters, not denial of permits. In order to not require fossil fuels on the hottest days, we need the ability to curtail on low demand days.
That article is from 2016. I wonder what the situation is today, especially related to this quote:

“Every one of the developers has had the opportunity to install their own battery and capture that energy that we couldn't take and discharge it later when we could,” he said. “But that's never proven economical.”

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
I was surprised that there was not a rate increase on May 1, 2022. Well, it has happened as of June 1, 2022. The "(I)" means "increase".

New EV2-A rates:
EV2-A 220601.jpg

I was surprised that there was not a rate increase on May 1, 2022. Well, it has happened as of June 1, 2022. The "(I)" means "increase".

New EV2-A rates:
View attachment 812262

Meanwhile, my summer rates on E-TOU-D increased to 33.931¢ off peak and 47.427¢ peak, and winter increased to 34.605¢ and 38.466¢ respectively.

So in exchange for about 9¢ off the off peak rates, you have to allow them to gouge you 11¢ per kWh from 3pm to 4pm and 9pm to midnight, 22¢ per kWh from 4-5pm and 8-9pm, and about 9¢ per kWh from 5 to 8 pm. Except on weekends and holidays when the 5-8pm number also increases to a whopping 22¢ per kWh.

PG&E just plain sucks.

New EV2-A rates:
View attachment 812262
Thank goodness at least on E-TOU-C, which I'm on, the increase was only 1/10 of one cent. Rates are still increasing, but the pace is slowing down. Oddly enough, since E-TOU-C has a baseline credit (a weird way of just calling our their Tier 1 rate), they also reduced the credit by a half of 1/10 of percent. So overall net increase for Tier 1 was $0.0015, or 0.15 cents.

So glad I have powerwalls so I can shove 100% of peak production down their throats and run my peak usage 100% from storage. Us paired storage folks with EVs must be PG&E's worst nightmare.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but PG&E loves you. Providing power during peak rate hours (when demands is tentatively high and cheap - mostly solar - production is low) costs them a lot of money. That's why they charge more for it. Their goal is to maximize profits, not necessarily the amount they charge you, and they can do that more easily if you only demand power at those times that it's cheap for them to buy.it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but PG&E loves you. Providing power during peak rate hours (when demands is tentatively high and cheap - mostly solar - production is low) costs them a lot of money. That's why they charge more for it. Their goal is to maximize profits, not necessarily the amount they charge you, and they can do that more easily if you only demand power at those times that it's cheap for them to buy.it.

It's a silver lining for them far outweighed by the fact that I'm eating their lunch the rest of the time. If you believe for a second that they would rather I have my current system rather than no system at all, you're living in another part of the multiverse.

EVs are not for everyone. As a commute car they are great. As a trip car not so much. But most households have 2 cars. We've had 2 EVs, but without one now as we turned it in from lease. No commute right now, so no compelling reason to get another one now. Main car is a hybrid anyway (Acura MDX Hybrid). When we had the EV, it was the commute car and there was never any range issue. My wife had a consulting business in the Bay Area and there was no where she could not go because she would need to charge before returning home. It was refreshing never to have to go to a gas station. Plugging in at home took 1 minute. No oil changes, no plug changes, no fluid changes, no hose changes. Brakes never need replacing. Its a huge difference that you don't realize until you own one. The only maintenance we had was software updates.
This was maybe true back in 2014.

We used to be a two car family with a VW Jetta for me commuting and a Honda Odyssey for my wife commuting, and as our long distance vacation car.

We basically started out with trading in that Jetta for a a 2015 VW eGolf after seeing that driving with just electricity was possible from a friend the year before. So that replaced the commuter car, but we ended up fighting over use, and with some arranging of things and luck on the TSLA stock, we traded in the Honda Odyssey for a Tesla Model X 90D.

Now road trips were better than ever before. Instead of falling almost asleep on the way from SF to LA, and switching off drivers at least once, we know can just handle it one person and arrive rested enough to be social. Tesla autopilot and supercharging network make this possible. I would never want to do a road trip in a gas vehicle ever again.

2018 we traded in the eGolf for a Model 3 and now are good for the next 10 years probably.

The model X is a fantastic vacation mobile, lots of fun ski trips, visits to LA and San Diego, etc. We definitely do more road trips than before going electric.

Last edited:
That's an interesting hypothesis. Some people just don't realize or don't care...
[...]
I suspect a decent % of PG&E customer EV drivers fall into one of these buckets:
- don't care
- no idea
- have sufficient solar to cover their usage
- have cheap or free EV charging at work (me)
In my case its aggravating but what can we actually do about it? Also I am quite confused with the MCE forced switch they made us do, unlike before
despite net-metering I now sometimes do see bills. I yet have to find the time to call them. Just so much going on all the time.

2015 we got 10kW solar, EV6 was the too-good-to-be-true plan, EV-A was ok as well, but EV2-A has been getting worse and worse over time.

I just checked and off peak EV2-A is now $0.26 - and there is talk about the adding a solar tax adding maybe $70/month additional fees just for the privilege to use the equipment you bought with your own hard earned $$$.

In 2020 we had enough and yolo'd extra money into three power walls, and working from home helps to charge off of that off-peak when the batteries are full before 3pm when part-peak/full-peak start until it goes back to off-peak at midnight.