Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I already have export everything on. Adding grid charging would (I assume) charge the batteries overnight during off-peak and let me send all of my morning weekday part-peak solar back to the grid instead of the batteries.
But then your NBC charges may be higher, which might not be worth it unless your system is undersized compared to your usage. I am going to need to track it more closely this year to see if exporting will be worth it.

App needs an ‘export everything except XX% to use for the home until /this/ time’ option for ‘export everything’ to be viable and not have that one 40kWh @ summer peak day. (Been there, hurt$)
I've found it's become pretty good at anticipating my usage and making sure I can get to the end of the peak period without importing. It's certainly good enough that on the whole I don't worry about it. Of course it can't foresee big unanticipated spikes but those are pretty rare and I figure worst case I'm just buying back the excess that I dumped onto the grid and paying the NBCs and 10% round trip penalty. Not ideal but not mega painful either.

But then your NBC charges may be higher, which might not be worth it unless your system is undersized compared to your usage. I am going to need to track it more closely this year to see if exporting will be worth it.
We have two EVs and are significant net importers even with 12kw of solar and two powerwalls. I figure the ~$0.03/kwh NBCs and 10% round trip loss are well worth it, at least during the summer, given the ~33% rate differential between off-peak and part-peak and ~100% rate differential off-peak to peak. Economics might be a bit tighter in the winter given the lower overall rate spread but even so I can't see not coming out ahead with these insane prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: aesculus
I've found it's become pretty good at anticipating my usage and making sure I can get to the end of the peak period without importing. It's certainly good enough that on the whole I don't worry about it. Of course it can't foresee big unanticipated spikes but those are pretty rare and I figure worst case I'm just buying back the excess that I dumped onto the grid and paying the NBCs and 10% round trip penalty. Not ideal but not mega painful either.
Same. I have been quite happy with it. There are exceptions so when I see those situations I turn it off. Its a PITA, but the alternative is worse as @buckets0fun illustrated.

Reactions: ucmndd
Wow can't believe it. It is going to be cheaper to charge at some public chargers now n
There still are two publicly accessible DC FCs + some L2s near me that are 19 cents per kWh, so it's been cheaper to charge there than at home for a long time.

Blue Dot app claims 20% discount on Supercharging allows for 30 cent per kWh charging but only (for now) on EVgo and ChargePoint for sessions started from Bluedot's app. There's also a Boost program that lets you get 25 cent per kWh DC FCing at the above but their whole help center (with KB articles) is broken now and has been for at least at day... hmmm...

Bluedot is pretty goofy at best but I can confirm the 30 cent per kWh charging from having used it but I just joined recently.

There's a long running thread at Log in on that app but you'll need a free account there to see it.

Reactions: ucmndd
There still are two publicly accessible DC FCs + some L2s near me that are 19 cents per kWh, so it's been cheaper to charge there than at home for a long time.

Blue Dot app claims 20% discount on Supercharging allows for 30 cent per kWh charging but only (for now) on EVgo and ChargePoint for sessions started from Bluedot's app. There's also a Boost program that lets you get 25 cent per kWh DC FCing at the above but their whole help center (with KB articles) is broken now and has been for at least at day... hmmm...

Bluedot is pretty goofy at best but I can confirm the 30 cent per kWh charging from having used it but I just joined recently.

There's a long running thread at Log in on that app but you'll need a free account there to see it.
Thanks for posting this, gonna give it a try. The 20% back for supercharging makes both of the chargers I use regularly cheaper than my new home rate (one of them is cheaper even before the 20%… this will bring it down to $0.25/kwh).

Wow can't believe it. It is going to be cheaper to charge at some public chargers now.
True. One Supercharger near us is 32 cents/kWh. This is good to know, but it's still more convenient to charge at home.

At least the off-peak rate won't go higher in the summer (summer chart on the top).

Screenshot_20240103-161318.jpg