Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phantom braking on curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom braking? my 1st phantom braking on the freeway in my Honda. A large vehicle passing on my left on a slight right hand curve, radar probably thought it was in front of me. Had much trouble over riding it, gas pedal would not respond. wife freaking out saying what is happening Whats it doing? Does vision only Teslas still have phantom braking problem such as this?

Phantom braking? my 1st phantom braking on the freeway in my Honda. A large vehicle passing on my left on a slight right hand curve, radar probably thought it was in front of me. Had much trouble over riding it, gas pedal would not respond. wife freaking out saying what is happening Whats it doing? Does vision only Teslas still have phantom braking problem such as this?
If it makes you feel better, there is a curve near my daughter's school, where there is a lightpost right at the apex of the curve... Both my Infiniti and my Acura phantom brake 100% of the time if I drive thru that curve in the right lane.... Fortunately my vision only MY does NOT phantom brake in that same location.

I had the occasional phantom brake in the Tesla while using AutoPilot, but the accelerator always was responsive when I took over.

It's not just Teslas - I had a previous car with adaptive cruise control, and it would do the same thing.......I've just learned to not be shocked when it happens, and (if possible) anticipate when it's going to happen). The car always responds well when I react (i.e. correct for it with the accelerator pedal).