Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to take a little drive out into the primeval, in our little portable shelter-not-in-place electro-bubble. So I go to the Tesla web site to survey the Supercharger map.

Little by little I came to the startling conclusion that they have better things to do than match their web site to reality, on a regular basis. This has been noted before in connection with "specs", "promises" and "claims". In this case it's Superchargers that I have seen in the flesh not appearing on the map. There are 3 just within a few miles of my home.

That wouldn't be as worrisome as the thought that false positives are also possible. Meaning that the Supercharger you were counting on might not be there. Good thing you brought your Mobile Connector and that yellow extension cord with all the adapters. I'm sure you'll LOVE that trailer park overnight stay.

Anyway, hey, Tesla guys, does anyone handle this trippy web page? Working Superchargers are missing on map.

Go Anywhere | Tesla

I probably need to tell Nicki, aka "speak a bug report".

Last edited:
I've had Superchargers not appear in the car that I know were there due to ABRP/PlugShare. Sure enough, searching specifically for the hidden charger pops it up and keeps it there. Happened at least twice during a road trip.

Some weird software gremlins regarding Supercharger locations.

I live in the Austin TX area and when I first got my car I checked this Tesla Map web site and noticed that there was a Super Charger in Fredericksburg, which is about 80 miles from my house. I thought this might be a good first long range trip and might give me a chance to try supercharging. I made the mistake of not checking for the Super Charger when I put the route in the navigation in the car. Once I drove to Fredericksburg I then started checking the nav map for the Super Charger and was shocked to find that there wasn't one there! Fortunately I had enough charge to just make it back home, but man was I pissed at myself for not checking prior to leaving. With that being my first experience with the Tesla Super Charger web site, I will never use that one again, only the in car nav from now on.

Reactions: Fernand
There ya go. The human species is vigorous and adaptable !

Carrying an extension cord and adapters is good. One time we were about to run the yellow life line out the window of the Motel, went hunting for the right adapter (doh!), and discovered a couple of Tesla wall charger teats for free, on little hitchin' posts, at the hotel down the street. Not SUPERchargers, but, hey.

Well, actually, that's not entirely correct. We didn't discover squat. The guys at the hardware store who examined our extension cord, and investigated the adapter question for like 15 minutes, announced they have NO adapters at all, none, but across the street they got 'em Tesler chargers fer free!

Last edited:
I wanted to take a little drive out into the primeval, in our little portable shelter-not-in-place electro-bubble. So I go to the Tesla web site to survey the Supercharger map.

Little by little I came to the startling conclusion that they have better things to do than match their web site to reality, on a regular basis. This has been noted before in connection with "specs", "promises" and "claims". In this case it's Superchargers that I have seen in the flesh not appearing on the map. There are 3 just within a few miles of my home.

That wouldn't be as worrisome as the thought that false positives are also possible. Meaning that the Supercharger you were counting on might not be there. Good thing you brought your Mobile Connector and that yellow extension cord with all the adapters. I'm sure you'll LOVE that trailer park overnight stay.

Anyway, hey, Tesla guys, does anyone handle this trippy web page? Working Superchargers are missing on map.

Go Anywhere | Tesla

I probably need to tell Nicki, aka "speak a bug report".
I have a question about charging while on a long trip. I imagine that every so often, all the Supercharger slots are in use. Is there an adapter that would allow me to charge my M3 at a CCS fast charger?

I have a question about charging while on a long trip. I imagine that every so often, all the Supercharger slots are in use. Is there an adapter that would allow me to charge my M3 at a CCS fast charger?

There is not an adapter and probably won't be one.

You can always see how many spots are available at the SuperCharger and how many are "out of service". Plus, remember you *usually* only need 15-30 mins to charge to get to the next charger. So if more people do that it opens up the spots available. That last 20% of the battery will take forever if you're trying to get to 100%

I'm a firm believer in the Divine Tap theory. Although in most civilized areas the Supercharger grid is plentiful, if you want to explore Route 66 style, Stuff happens. Deliverance banjos sometimes, but mostly your own inattention. And then you go "Oh, doh, I should have charged at XYZ".

Yes, the purchase of a (hunt for deals) 25-50 ft thick extension cord and (hunt for deals) adapters is a simple and effective way to curb range anxiety. Worst case, you plug into someone's dryer wall socket and sleep in their manger - Divine Tap, B&B style. Let it charge. Get to know your fellow citizens. And exchange insights about upcoming elections - if you dare.