Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone and text messaging sucks really bad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the basic features that has worked on pretty much any car these days is phone and text messaging. My previous car, Dodge had no problems placing calls, showing me the contact name of the caller, replying to text messages, reading me new messages etc. On the M3 the phone integration is super SH*TTY. It does not show me the name of the contact that is calling me, does not display caller ID (name) where Android in fact does decode the name, placing a call on hands free sucks, it always dials wrong numbers. Responding to text messages is painful. It captures like 2-3s of my reply, and completely ignores what ever I say if I pause. It is not like these features are something new like FSD, but these are features that works on most cars flawlessly these days. Android Auto does a stellar job with phone integration, Tesla's software sucks!

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
What phone are you using? I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+, and it shows the contact name of the caller on the screen for my car.

Did you allow the car to access your contacts the first time you paired the phone to the car (if you have an android phone)? If you didn't, that's probably why. Not sure how it works on iPhones.

What phone are you using? I am using a Samsung Galaxy S10+, and it shows the contact name of the caller on the screen for my car.

Did you allow the car to access your contacts the first time you paired the phone to the car (if you have an android phone)? If you didn't, that's probably why. Not sure how it works on iPhones.

I have a Pixel 4 from Google, and I did give it all the access when I paired the phone. Can someone explain to me why hands free text only captures 3 seconds, and if there is a pause it does not capture anything else. Also replying to group text do not work.

I have a Pixel 4 from Google, and I did give it all the access when I paired the phone. Can someone explain to me why hands free text only captures 3 seconds, and if there is a pause it does not capture anything else. Also replying to group text do not work.

Hi! So being up front, this seems like more of you wanting to yell at the clouds but if you’re truly interested in getting this to work I’d like to give you some pointers.

Every update the car gets has the potential to totally screw stuff. Know and accept that right now. If you like to stay on a stable version, just don’t update if things are working well for you. You could also try moving the update slider to normal instead of advanced (no one can tell if it does anything anyways).

Also, try hitting the Bluetooth icon at the top right of the screen and make sure the text message slide is on. After this, try a reboot (hold both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black then release).

You’ve got 101 posts so far so I’m betting you know about doing reboots/restarts/resets. It can fix a lot of issues.

I too have issues getting the car to text or call or listen to me when I press the microphone button on the screen or hold the right steering wheel button. Best to just try again. Sometimes it works first time and is perfect word for word... other times it’s garbage.

In the end, the car is always evolving and bugs will be taken care of, you can always tweet Elon if you have an issue as well. If you have more questions please post them but maybe with less yelling as most people on the forum don’t respond well to that and won’t want to help you. Have a great day!

did replying to group text work on your dodge? It doesnt work on my wifes 2019 BMW, and did not work on my 2016 BMW I had before this one.

All voice to text systems that I have used would take a "3 second pause" as "I am done talking. I dictate texts both using my iPhones native interface and through the tesla model 3, and the experience is basically the same. I see my contact names, I can press the thumbwheel to have it read to me, etc (using tesla interface).

I havent used it with an android phone in a while, because my personal android phone is a nexus 6p which I basicaly use as a hotspot.

I have had the Tesla only since Feb and the previous hands free experience I had was with Android Auto and Tesla's voice commands and phone integration really needs a lot of work. Rather than adding more useless games I wish they focus more on the user experience of this interface. Like vision is key to self driving, voice would to be the key interface to interacting with the car. Voice, AI and NLP are solved problems, as an AI company I expected Tesla to be focused on delivering the best experience.

I haven't tried using the voice to text features since it was added, but I had a similar poor experience with messages getting cut off, and often being sent without any opportunity to confirm the message, resulting in messages with only a couple words.

I've never had any issue with the voice calling though. I can see contact names, can call via voice commands, and call quality is always excellent

Sometimes my Bluetooth goes bonkers and i can’t hear the other person. I have to disconnect the Bluetooth connection to my phone from the car (via in car screen) and reconnect.

I don’t know if 24.1 still has the issue. Last 2-3 updates have had it. Phone is iPhone X. on most recent iOS update.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Sometimes my Bluetooth goes bonkers and i can’t hear the other person. I have to disconnect the Bluetooth connection to my phone from the car (via in car screen) and reconnect.

I don’t know if 24.1 still has the issue. Last 2-3 updates have had it. Phone is iPhone X. on most recent iOS update.
I've had this too, it drives me and the poor guy on the other side of the call nuts. I'm left saying "hello?" like an idiot until finally they hang up and I just give up, pull over, and dial from my handset. It usually has some weird audio pop sound (think like plugging a live line into an amp) that seems to happen before the issue occurs, so I've learned to listen for it.

So my car will randomly turn off the "new message notification" and "chime on new message" sliders. I can't figure out what triggers it and no one else is driving my car and turning it off on my profile. Also have had the no audio issue during phone calls lately. These issues are annoying but it seems that all bugs get worked out eventually.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
So my car will randomly turn off the "new message notification" and "chime on new message" sliders. I can't figure out what triggers it and no one else is driving my car and turning it off on my profile. Also have had the no audio issue during phone calls lately. These issues are annoying but it seems that all bugs get worked out eventually.
Holy crap THIS! I don't know why but every few days I'll notice I'm not getting texts while driving. Sure enough, after mucking around with the phone menu it's turned itself off. This and the "auto dome lights" turning to off after using the Tesla Theater have to be the most annoying minor bugs.

Holy crap THIS! I don't know why but every few days I'll notice I'm not getting texts while driving. Sure enough, after mucking around with the phone menu it's turned itself off. This and the "auto dome lights" turning to off after using the Tesla Theater have to be the most annoying minor bugs.

The interior lighting/Tesla Theater issue has been resolved in the 6.1 update... I have confirmed it.

I recently received an update from T mobile on my galaxy note 9. Now I get a message when I try to speak a text that says "text messaging is supported on ios 13 / and...." and the rest of rhe message is cut off.

Anybody got a possible solution? Every time I update my phone something else doesn't work. I wish there was a way to uninstall the stupid update....