Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else with 19" wheels notice that the iPhone app displays 21" wheels instead? The car itself shows the 19" wheels on the instrument cluster and the 17" screen, but not the iPhone app.

I don't think the iPhone app displays the wheels properly. Android (via Bluestacks) shows my car correctly with the 21" grey wheels, but the iPhone shows 21" silver wheels. Sounds like it shows the same thing for everyone.

I downloaded the app this afternoon. My car is now charging and the app says it is charging at 7 mph, 244v, 16amps. It says the rated range is 183 miles. This seems strange to me as it is plugged into a NEMA 14-50, 50amp outlet. I know the charge rate slows down as it gets closer to fill charge, but 183 rated
Miles doesn't seem like it's that lose. I have the charge setting on standard, not max. Does the reported info on charging rate and amp draw seem right?

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you did actually manage to not plug in all the way and you're really getting 244/16. (16 amps on the UMC is a good indicator the pilot didn't get a good connection).
Charge volt/amp/rate (projected!) has always been accurate for me over the last few months.

I think somebody else mentioned it - but I'd also like to see the programmable timer implemented soon (whether via app or in vehicle). Just so I can plug the car in and forget about it at night and let it do its thing at predetermined start/stop times.

One thing I'd like to see as maybe a future app feature is similar to the "Chargepoint" app - "Receive real-time notifications of your current charging session" - so when the car is unplugged or charging stops, you get a phone notification.

I just installed the Android app on my phone Saturday night. Sometimes it does a lot of spinning, trying to connect. However, sometimes it is Johnny On The Spot.
I'm looking forward to the charging start time control. My wife wants the timer for when it turns on the climate controls. She leaves for work at 6:30am.
What they have so far seems to work pretty well. When I had my wife honk the horn from the app on her phone our dog started barking at it!

Trying clicking 'iPhone Apps' (not iPad Apps). It is an iPhone App that can scale 2x (ugly) to display portrait-only on an iPad.

(Urgh: refresh failure on tapatalk. Mods: you can remove this post, as the question has been answered already.)

I find the iPhone app scales very nicely at x2 on the iPad actually (iPad 3). Not 'ugly' at all. Very smooth fonts and graphics.

I find the iPhone app scales very nicely at x2 on the iPad actually (iPad 3). Not 'ugly' at all. Very smooth fonts and graphics.

not really ugly just not as polished as having an app that works for both, as the OVMS app does. just is more elegant in the end that for the iPhone the app is scaled and oriented in the way the iPhone is used and for the ipad the same thing for its general use which is mostly not the same as for the iPhone.......

Is anyone using the 3GS iPhone for the app? I've been pretty lazy about upgrading. Any other "Neanderthals" out there? The app store says optimized for the iPhone 5. WillI be limited enough to justify getting the 5 now before the car comes? I'm using a 3GS with version 6.1

I downloaded the app this afternoon. My car is now charging and the app says it is charging at 7 mph, 244v, 16amps. It says the rated range is 183 miles. This seems strange to me as it is plugged into a NEMA 14-50, 50amp outlet. I know the charge rate slows down as it gets closer to fill charge, but 183 rated
Miles doesn't seem like it's that lose. I have the charge setting on standard, not max. Does the reported info on charging rate and amp draw seem right?

well did you check the car read-out? what did it say?

seems like a logical thing to do to figure out if it's a glitch with the iPhone app, or if your outlet is weak...

Is anyone using the 3GS iPhone for the app? I've been pretty lazy about upgrading. Any other "Neanderthals" out there? The app store says optimized for the iPhone 5. WillI be limited enough to justify getting the 5 now before the car comes? I'm using a 3GS with version 6.1

I haven't tried the app on a 3GS, but it seems unlikely to be computationally intensive or especially memory hungry. You should be fine. "Optimized for iPhone 5" in this case almost certainly refers solely to a screen layout for the taller aspect ratio of the iPhone 5.

Last edited:
LI haven't tried the app on a 3GS, but it seems unlikely to be computationally intensive or especially memory hungry. You should be fine. "Optimized for iPhone 5" in this case almost certainly refers solely to a screen layout for the taller aspect ratio of the iPhone 5.

Aha! Thanks for the quick reply. I like anything that allows me to continue to be lazy. My policy with this car is: I want everything. I guess if the 3GS works I can continue my slothly existence.

+1...I have 19s, app showing silver 21s. Not that I care all that much...I'd rather the developers devote their time elsewhere for now :).

Does it show the correct wheels on the picture of the car you get on the dash display in the car?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure it means that it can handle the larger 5 screen; iOS version is usually the deal-breaker for apps, not phone model. I have a 3GS and while I haven't really used it (no car yet, so I get the "car not enabled for remote access" msg), it seems to work.

(Exception to what I wrote: If it relied on special hardware in the 5, then certain features might not work on 3GS, e.g., Siri doesn't work on 3GS.)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, GeekGirls beat me to it. I should've finished reading before adding the bit about the "optimized for 5" stuff.

I'm not referring to the temperature setting. I have that set at 68 and the climate control is off. Right now my car is showing 78 degrees and it's 45 degrees outside. It's not working...

Are you charging? I have seen some very high temperatures (~100F) on the dash, while charging, and right after charging. But they seem to go away very fast and settle out to normal.

Are you charging? I have seen some very high temperatures (~100F) on the dash, while charging, and right after charging. But they seem to go away very fast and settle out to normal.

Not charging...just sitting out in the parking lot at work. It's cloudy today, as well. Must be a glitch with my sensor. I've been lucky! This is my first "problem."

Edit: And yes...I have done a reboot :wink:

I'm not referring to the temperature setting. I have that set at 68 and the climate control is off. Right now my car is showing 78 degrees and it's 45 degrees outside. It's not working...

I think this might just be a bug in the app--it starts initialized at some odd value, and doesn't display correctly until it gets good info. There's no evidence that it's a sensor issue.

When I first started the app, it was showing interior temperature of 76 degF, just like some others reported. Now, when I go to the climate tab and the climate control is off, interior temp is not displayed. I think something I did in the app "fixed" it.