Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone has had trouble connecting to the car with the mobile app, but when I did the solution was to close out all the apps running in the background. When I did that it connected right away.

I have an iPhone 4S so I'm not sure this is applicable to other devices or OS's. Thanks.
Have you rebooted the entire iPhone recently? That may help.

Wall as in how much electricity the car is actually using. (Note the car keeps track of kWh used from the battery, but this doesn't include things like vampire load or charging inefficiencies).

OMG! I guess that was the dumass question of the year! You were talking about the WALL. LOL. Sorry about that. Can't imagine what my feeble mind was thinking. Oh THAT wall.

Not sure if anyone has had trouble connecting to the car with the mobile app, but when I did the solution was to close out all the apps running in the background. When I did that it connected right away.

I have an iPhone 4S so I'm not sure this is applicable to other devices or OS's. Thanks.

Sorry, but I'm skeptical this mattered. When I have trouble connecting, trying again frequently works, and if not, waiting a minute does. So I wonder if it's just the time you took doing that--not what you did--that "fixed" it.

After all, most apps you see in the task bar aren't really "running in the background." When they're not the active app, most are just suspended (not actively running or using resources except some RAM), and iOS quits apps to free up even the memory, as needed. It lists all the apps you've run, whether they're using any resources or not.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW most common misconception about how iOS works, that everything in the task bar is running in the background/a drain on resources/etc.

@SteveH - There are a number of special characters for passwords that are treated differently by the website and mobile app. I reported it to Ownership the day the iOS version was released so they are aware of the issue.

Anyone else try to use "<" or ">" within their passwords? The website lets you use those characters, but it seems that the iPhone app will not be able to authenticate if you do.

My Samsung phone version 2.3.6 Gingerbread, has frequent issues connecting to the car. If I exit out of the app using the back "looped arrow" button it works fine the next time.
If I exit out of the app using the home button it just spins. When that happens if I just exit out with the back "looped arrow" button it again works fine the next time.
Looks like if the app is backgrounded and then brought back up, it fails to reconnect almost always. If it starts fresh it's fine.
Tesla, are you listening? This is a bug report.

This also happens on my husband's HTC Rezound running Android version 4.0.1.

Sorry, but I'm skeptical this mattered. When I have trouble connecting, trying again frequently works, and if not, waiting a minute does. So I wonder if it's just the time you took doing that--not what you did--that "fixed" it.

After all, most apps you see in the task bar aren't really "running in the background." When they're not the active app, most are just suspended (not actively running or using resources except some RAM), and iOS quits apps to free up even the memory, as needed. It lists all the apps you've run, whether they're using any resources or not.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW most common misconception about how iOS works, that everything in the task bar is running in the background/a drain on resources/etc.

You could be right, it might have been a total coincidence. However, my experiences with early versions of Windows (3.1, 95, NT) permanently scarred my belief in task switching. Those were the days!

My Samsung phone version 2.3.6 Gingerbread, has frequent issues connecting to the car. If I exit out of the app using the back "looped arrow" button it works fine the next time.
If I exit out of the app using the home button it just spins. When that happens if I just exit out with the back "looped arrow" button it again works fine the next time.
Looks like if the app is backgrounded and then brought back up, it fails to reconnect almost always. If it starts fresh it's fine.
Tesla, are you listening? This is a bug report.

This also happens on my husband's HTC Rezound running Android version 4.0.1.

Same thing here, I always have to back out first and open again.

Is anyone able to override the scheduled charging from the Android app? After installing 4.3 and scheduling charging to occur around 11pm, the "charge" tab on the Android app shows the option to switch to range charge, but the button at the upper right has been replaced by the "hourglass" indicator.