Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One change is it now shows "Waking car" when you first try to connect.

I've discovered the "waking car" is not a "smart" message, but just a restatement of the old "trying to connect..." message. I get "waking car" when car has poor reception, but I don't have sleep mode. Still on 4.5 and avoiding the 5.8 thing.

Since 5.8 on both the old and new iPhone app, about 1 time in 10 I cannot connect to the car. The app just spins and spins forever. I don't even get the "Trying to Connect" message. Other times it works fine. Never had this prior to 5.8.

Interestingly, when this happens, I can usually get through with the VisibleTesla app.

I ordered my car with 21's. At the moment I have 19's with snow tires. The app is showing 19's on the home tab and 21's on the climate tab. If only it was that easy to swap the wheels!

The slider is a much welcomed change. I'd like to see controls for the heated seats.

A

Since 5.8 on both the old and new iPhone app, about 1 time in 10 I cannot connect to the car. The app just spins and spins forever. I don't even get the "Trying to Connect" message. Other times it works fine. Never had this prior to 5.8.

Interestingly, when this happens, I can usually get through with the VisibleTesla app.

I have had this happen several times (was on 5.0 at the time, old app). The last time it happened, I discovered that my wifi connection had been dropped. My Iphone stubbornly tries to reconnect apps using wifi and doesn't switch back very quickly to the cellular network. When I notice this I temporarily turn off wifi in Settings which forces the phone to switch to the cellular network. So, I suspect the spinning Tesla app might be an Iphone issue rather than a Tesla one.

I had a similar experience although it was not wifi related. The App stopped working after updating the phone OS. I tried restarting the phone removing and reinstalling the app, nothing worked. All this time my fiance was able to connect every time perfectly. She has the same i-phone 5 as I do. Finally, I tried rebooting the car. After that no problems at all.

I have a quick question:

When I try to connect to my car (connected to Wifi), it doesn't connect using the iPhone App. I usually use it in the morning to warm up the car. When I forget my Wifi network (car connected to 3G) it never fails to connect.

Not sure if this was discussed. Anyone else experience this issue? Does it have anything to do with the Energy Saving function? Because I can connect to it when I exit the car within 5 min, but not in the morning (over a period of time).

Thanks.

Half a year ago I installed the Tesla app on my ipad. Today I tried to install the app on another ipad. I did find it in the app store, but it refused to download if I didn't first update to ios 6 or higher (that particular ipad wasn't updated for a long time). After updating to the latest version I went to the app store again but the Tesla app is nowhere to be found. Any ideas? Is it no longer available for the ipad?

Anybody know how to get the Android app to work with a rental car? When I fire up the app and sign in, I get an error that "No vehicles linked to this my tesla account". I'll log in on the web and try to link the rental vehicle to my account...

RT

I'm going to assume your rental car is a Model S (you know the app won't work with regular cars, right? :tongue:)

Presumably, you'd need the rental company to provide you with some kind of temporary login information for the car in order to use the app. They should have done it when you picked the car up (similarly to hotel internet access).

Were you able to add the car to your account?

Mayhem,
They provided me the VIN at the rental place, but thats it. They weren't even aware of the android app. I will shoot them an e-mail and ask them if they have a Tesla username and password. That seems a bit scary since I could log in even after the rental period. When I logged into my Tesla account, I don't have a vehicle purchased from them, obviously. So there was no way to "add" my vehicle to my account. I assume that when you purchase a vehicle that it is automatically added to your account.

I have an e-mail into Tesla, so maybe I'll hear back from them. Will keep you posted. As more Model S's are turned into rentals, you would think they would figure out how to do this.

RT