Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Android app updated today. We finally have a slider on the charge screen!

In addition to the aforementioned charge slider, the new version also appears to fix a bug I've been dealing with on my LG G2 where it will take multiple attempts to access the app. Previously, I'd give it about 10 seconds to access the car before backing out of the app and re-trying. This would succeed 98% of the time. This latest version seems to require only a single attempt (something I'd been highly envious of in my mom's Galaxy S4)

Unfortunately, it appears Androiders are still without notifications. :crying:

UPDATE (~2 days later)

Unfortunately, the LG phone bugfix appeared to be temporary. After a day or two we're back to our regularly scheduled program of having to open the app and wait a few seconds before backing out and re-opening it in order to successfully connect to the car. :crying:

Last edited:
I am a big Apple supporter. However I do not think that it is an issue that Apple is easier to program for than Android but rather that Apple better controls the environment into which the operating system resides so that the outcome is much more assured.

I wonder if iOS is easier to program for or something?

Or is this just a case of preferential treatment?
I suspect either preferential treatment or a lack of skilled Android developers, which would likely be interrelated. As an intermediate Android developer who has independently released 6 apps and has a job with a small team of 3 working on a very complex point of sale app, I'm not sure how development on a relatively simple app can be so slow if they had even a single intermediate developer dedicated to it. But, who knows, every project and company is different and there are many things that can impede progress, some placing less blame on Tesla than others.

It's likely that Tesla did the app development initially on iOS - and may be following the typical "develop on one platform then port to the other platforms" development model.

Because there is a large number of current and prospective owners with Android devices, Tesla should try to get to the point where they introduce new features on both iOS and Android at the same time, and if Microsoft is ever able to figure out how to get market share for their Windows Phone devices, Tesla should be doing the same for that platform.

OR - and this is probably an even better long term solution - they should create a 3rd party developer program and fully support outside developers writing applications for smartphone, desktop/tablet, web browser and even onboard platforms. As Tesla moves towards selling 500,000 cars per year (with the Model 3), the market should soon become large enough to justify 3rd party application development. And, even before then, there are probably some among the current Tesla owners who could find a way to justify developing 3rd party software today...

Charge slider is a welcome addition (although way too late), but we still don't have notifications. Since the iOS version just got that a month ago, we will probably have to wait another year.

What do you mean by "charge slider"? If you are referring to the ability to set the charge limit from the app using the sliding arrow indicator, that has been present in the app for a long time, I think. So I assume you are referring to something else?

I am running the new 2.1 version as of this morning on my iPhone 6 with the latest iOS.

What do you mean by "charge slider"? If you are referring to the ability to set the charge limit from the app using the sliding arrow indicator, that has been present in the app for a long time, I think. So I assume you are referring to something else?

I am running the new 2.1 version as of this morning on my iPhone 6 with the latest iOS.

The charge slider was JUST added to the android app. It hasn't been available and notifications are still not available.

Android version got this feature about 1 year after iOS.

Is there a way to restart the charge on the iOS app after complete? Say the charge finished at 2AM and at 8AM it's already lost 3%. The only way I can figure is to move the slider up from 90 to 95% for example (anything above 90%) in order to get charge started again.

I saw this yesterday, which covers more shortcomings than I was aware of

Thanks for sharing. As someone who doesn't own an iOS device, it was enlightening (albeit disappointing) too see how wide the gap is between the two versions. I know there have been surveys before around here showing that a strong majority of owners use iOS, but 25-40% of users (presumable Android share) is now 15k-24k users stuck with an inferior app.

I'm at work, so I can't watch the video with sound...

I'm an Android user and I recently borrowed an iOS device and played around with the app. The only thing that is better on the Android version is in the maps / location tab. On Android I like "turning on" both my location and the car's location at the same time. The map will zoom/pan so that both locations are shown. I was surprised that this didn't work in iOS. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?