Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is time for you to upgrade to a phone with an integrated fingerprint sensor.

I have an iPhone SE. It has a fingerprint sensor. After I program a fingerprint it works for anywhere from a coupe of weeks to a couple of days, then quite working. Fingerprint sensing, like the phone-as-key, works very well for a few people, works some of the time for a lot of people, and is next to useless for a few people.

But more important to your reply: I should not have to buy a phone to match my car!!! I should be able to own the phone that works for me AS a phone. The number of times I need to unlock my phone (other than to try to control the car) is minimal. It's a phone, and it works as a phone. I would not have bought this car if it had required me to buy one of those awkward oversize phones. My phone is an excellent PHONE. It's great that Tesla provides the app for people who want to do that kind of stuff. But eliminating the fob makes it outrageously awkward for many of us to do simple things that a fob would do flawlessly and easily. Like opening the frunk. And try f#@%ing around with your phone to open the frunk with your hands full of grocery bags!

Wasn't what I said.
I get you are passionate about this.
Technology transitions can be a bitch...

Which is why the sensible thing to do would be to have a traditional fob AND the app. Make sure the app works for everybody and in all circumstances BEFORE ditching the fob.

I love my Model 3. But there are a few things Tesla got really wrong, and if enough of us raise enough of a stink about it they'll fix them, because that's the kind of company Tesla is.

Reactions: RTPEV and kelly
They pushed 2018.10.5 to me last night to try and fix this before my service appointment today. I unpaired the Bluetooth and also deleted the key, then added both back in. Walk up unlock and walk away lock worked 10 times in a row. I then left the car on its own, but checked on the Tesla phone app once or twice prior to (me) going to sleep. Each time I brought up the phone app, it said that it was waiting for the car to wake up. I didn't see this on 2018.4.18.

This morning the walk up unlock didn't work. Drove to work, parked the car, did the usual BT off/on, then it started working again. Tested it 6 times all fine. When I then went out to the car at 11am to drive to the service appointment, walk up unlock didn't work.

Discussed this with the service tech, he agreed that it looks like it has something to do with the car going into sleep mode. There is currently no way to shut that off in the car settings. Apologies if this has been thrashed out previously, no time to read the last several pages that I missed.

Service was great, they had a loaner car pulled up for me and I was out of there in <15 minutes. Will report back what ends up happening.

RT

Hi. I’m late to the party but may have same problem as others are reporting. FW version is 2018.10.5. I have iPhone X.

When car is left for a few hours phone key doesn’t work. I hear a clunk when pulling on door handle but door won’t open and mirrors don’t move. When this happens I unlock from the app which always works.

When car is left for a few minutes then phone key always works.

It sounds like I need to wait for a FW update.

They pushed 2018.10.5 to me last night to try and fix this before my service appointment today. I unpaired the Bluetooth and also deleted the key, then added both back in. Walk up unlock and walk away lock worked 10 times in a row. I then left the car on its own, but checked on the Tesla phone app once or twice prior to (me) going to sleep. Each time I brought up the phone app, it said that it was waiting for the car to wake up. I didn't see this on 2018.4.18.

This morning the walk up unlock didn't work. Drove to work, parked the car, did the usual BT off/on, then it started working again. Tested it 6 times all fine. When I then went out to the car at 11am to drive to the service appointment, walk up unlock didn't work.

Discussed this with the service tech, he agreed that it looks like it has something to do with the car going into sleep mode. There is currently no way to shut that off in the car settings. Apologies if this has been thrashed out previously, no time to read the last several pages that I missed.

Service was great, they had a loaner car pulled up for me and I was out of there in <15 minutes. Will report back what ends up happening.

RT
I believe I having the similar (maybe same) problems you are with my Android phone and Model 3. I'm taking my car in tomorrow evening get the front USB ports working and hopefully the phone issue resolved. Futzing with my wallet to unlock the car and to allow me to drive is getting tiresome.

One additional thing I noticed is that if the app says "Connected" for the Phone Key, it will work properly. As soon as it says "Disconnected" it will not work. If it just worked and I close the app, on my android phone, it will not work any longer. If I reboot my phone, everything seems to work again. Turning bluetooth off/on doesn't help me at all. That reboot makes me think it is my phone but I'm not 100% certain. The only thing I haven't tried is to factory reset my phone. I'm getting close to trying that if the SC doesn't figure it out.

Reactions: bhzmark
When car is left for a few hours phone key doesn’t work. I hear a clunk when pulling on door handle but door won’t open and mirrors don’t move. When this happens I unlock from the app which always works.

When car is left for a few minutes then phone key always works.
I hear that clunk as well when I touch the door handle. I suppose this is the sound of the car waking up. At work there is no cell signal in the garage so using the phone to unlock over the internet/cell is a non-started for me. I have to whip out my wallet and can frequently swipe my wallet across the pillar to unlock the car.

After the phone stops working, I've never had the phone work unless I reboot.

All of these posts are really getting me worried with my model 3 delivery date only a week away. As a pediatrician who often needs to get to the hospital quickly at a moments notice, this car needs to be able to reliably unlock the door! Is this issue really that common with the model 3 or are the vast majority of satisfied owners just not chiming in??

Reactions: JES2
I believe I having the similar (maybe same) problems you are with my Android phone and Model 3. I'm taking my car in tomorrow evening get the front USB ports working and hopefully the phone issue resolved. Futzing with my wallet to unlock the car and to allow me to drive is getting tiresome.

One additional thing I noticed is that if the app says "Connected" for the Phone Key, it will work properly. As soon as it says "Disconnected" it will not work. If it just worked and I close the app, on my android phone, it will not work any longer. If I reboot my phone, everything seems to work again. Turning bluetooth off/on doesn't help me at all. That reboot makes me think it is my phone but I'm not 100% certain. The only thing I haven't tried is to factory reset my phone. I'm getting close to trying that if the SC doesn't figure it out.

KIPP,
What phone are you using? I have an older 3-4 year old Droid XT1254 running Android 6.0.1. The phone spec says it has Bluetooth LE.

Can't tell from the phone any more details of the Bluetooth software version. It seems possible that as the Bluetooth spec evolves and does more things, older phones might have issues. Having said that, you woul think that having Bluetooth, with LE, and NFC on would be all that's needed.

RT

All of these posts are really getting me worried with my model 3 delivery date only a week away. As a pediatrician who often needs to get to the hospital quickly at a moments notice, this car needs to be able to reliably unlock the door! Is this issue really that common with the model 3 or are the vast majority of satisfied owners just not chiming in??

At a guess I'd say that it works okay for most people. With my iPhone SE the car always unlocks. (My complaint is the awkwardness of opening the Frunk.)

Note, however, that the key card always seems to work, so if your phone does not work consistently, you can always keep your key card handy. With that, you can always get in and start your car.

At a guess I'd say that it works okay for most people. With my iPhone SE the car always unlocks. (My complaint is the awkwardness of opening the Frunk.)

Note, however, that the key card always seems to work, so if your phone does not work consistently, you can always keep your key card handy. With that, you can always get in and start your car.

Great! As long as the keycard works every time, I will be satisfied.

Here’s are things I tried with my iPhone X that didn’t work.

1. Allow app to run in background.
2. Turn Bluetooth off and on.
3. Power phone off and on.

What does seem to work.

1. Launch app and then unlock. This wakes car from deep sleep I think.
2. Keep the app running. Need to experiment more but this worked once this morning after letting the car sit for a couple hours.

Great! As long as the keycard works every time, I will be satisfied.
Not to alarm you, but a couple of times it took awhile for my wife to get her car running with the key card. The card let her in, but wouldn't start the car. She actually had to get out of the car, close the door, touch the card to the pillar again, get back inside, and then it worked with the card on the center console.

My issue seems to be related to the drivers door. After the car is asleep the drivers door does not work to unlock but the other doors and trunk seems to work first time. I need to check more as occasionally the drivers door does work.

As to frunk opening that is not much of a problem for me to pull out the phone.

I've never had issues with phone key previously, running Android (Pixel 2) but after the 10.5 update, car doesn't detect phone unless if car is awake. This means, I have to open my app to wake it up, or have climate control on, otherwise, if car is in sleep mode, phone key won't work. I can confirm this is only happening after the 10.5 update.

Anyone have any fix/solution so far? I don't think this is something service center can really fix, but maybe a bug fix in new update? Am I doing something wrong?

I've never had issues with phone key previously, running Android (Pixel 2) but after the 10.5 update, car doesn't detect phone unless if car is awake. This means, I have to open my app to wake it up, or have climate control on, otherwise, if car is in sleep mode, phone key won't work. I can confirm this is only happening after the 10.5 update.

Anyone have any fix/solution so far? I don't think this is something service center can really fix, but maybe a bug fix in new update? Am I doing something wrong?
Have you tried leaving the app running? That seems to be working for me. I have an iPhone X.