Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick my car up in a week (can't wait!) and do not run with my phone or with music. Garmin 910 watch is how I track my workouts. I also swim a bunch in lakes and the ocean. My old car I just left it unlocked keys in the glove box, guess that plan is no longer any good! So the card will get wet in my pocket running (I run in the rain) and swimming, is the card waterproof and can you drill a hole in it? I am thinking I might want to clip it to my shorts.

The card is plastic, so it should be waterproof unless it's made so cheaply that the edges leak, but that seems unlikely, so probably waterproof. Now I'm just guessing, but RFID chips, AFAIK, are small. You should be able to drill a hole if you first find out from Tesla where in the card the chip is located.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I pick my car up in a week (can't wait!) and do not run with my phone or with music. Garmin 910 watch is how I track my workouts. I also swim a bunch in lakes and the ocean. My old car I just left it unlocked keys in the glove box, guess that plan is no longer any good! So the card will get wet in my pocket running (I run in the rain) and swimming, is the card waterproof and can you drill a hole in it? I am thinking I might want to clip it to my shorts.
Just quit working out. BOOM, problem solved.. next question.

LOL!

Dan

Just quit working out. BOOM, problem solved.. next question.

LOL!

Dan

I hate working out. But what I hate a lot more than working out is the way I feel when I'm not working out. Regular exercise cured my chronic depression and my insomnia, and makes it possible for me to go hiking in the mountains and paddle a kayak and take the stairs. I was not healthy before I started exercising. Easy things were hard. Exercise is like medicine that cures the worst head cold ever: It tastes terrible, but it's worth it to be healthy again. ;)

Why? With the Model 3 you can still leave the car unlocked with the key in the glove box if you want to. (Or put the card under the phone dock, or in the door pocket, or ...

I suspect his old car was one nobody would steal. :) I would not leave My Model 3 unlocked with the key card in it. o_O

ETA: I once had an old CJ5 Jeep. I locked the keys in the car. I borrowed an adjustable wrench, removed one door, and got my key. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
Does anyone else experience iOS phone key failures regularly with 2018 firmware?

To be fair to Tesla, my phone as key has worked since I re-initialized it. OTOH, their choice of AT&T as the cell service means that when the car's in my garage 9 times out of 10 the app won't connect to the phone. Waiting for them to implement wi-fi.

But the key card doesn't always work. Which means if my phone dies, there's 1 chance in 10 I won't be able to get in the car even though I always have the key card with me. The Prius has a physical key hidden in the fob. If worse comes to worse I can get in the car with the key, and start the car by inserting the fob in the slot even if the fob battery is dead.

Reactions: navguy12
This is a pretty long thread, but have to chime in here to see if anyone has a solution.

My phone key almost never works unless I manually open the app. (Galaxy S8+) If I've opened the app within the last 10 minutes or so, the phone key works as expected, doors unlock on approach. Generally, though, it doesn't work.

I tried disabling power save for the Tesla app in my phone settings to see if it made a difference, nothing.

I keep the card key in my wallet so I can slap my wallet on the B-pillar when needed (faster than unlocking my phone and finding the app and waiting for it to reconnect to bluetooth).... but this is tedious and annoying if I'm carrying things and such.

Anyone else have this issue and a solution for it? Sorry for not having time to read the previous 391 posts in this thread. Tried some searching as well, but no luck.

This is a pretty long thread, but have to chime in here to see if anyone has a solution.

My phone key almost never works unless I manually open the app. (Galaxy S8+) If I've opened the app within the last 10 minutes or so, the phone key works as expected, doors unlock on approach. Generally, though, it doesn't work.

I tried disabling power save for the Tesla app in my phone settings to see if it made a difference, nothing.

I keep the card key in my wallet so I can slap my wallet on the B-pillar when needed (faster than unlocking my phone and finding the app and waiting for it to reconnect to bluetooth).... but this is tedious and annoying if I'm carrying things and such.

Anyone else have this issue and a solution for it? Sorry for not having time to read the previous 391 posts in this thread. Tried some searching as well, but no luck.
Do you have other bluetooth issues? Is your S8+ jettisoning other apps to save RAM? I know 1+1 had weird RAM issues, not sure if Samsung had them too.

• Helpful
Reactions: wk057

I suffer from the same issue with two iPhone Xs.

To be fair to Tesla, my phone as key has worked since I re-initialized it. OTOH, their choice of AT&T as the cell service means that when the car's in my garage 9 times out of 10 the app won't connect to the phone. Waiting for them to implement wi-fi.

But the key card doesn't always work. Which means if my phone dies, there's 1 chance in 10 I won't be able to get in the car even though I always have the key card with me. The Prius has a physical key hidden in the fob. If worse comes to worse I can get in the car with the key, and start the car by inserting the fob in the slot even if the fob battery is dead.

Doesn't it work off Bluetooth, and not AT&T wireless?

The "Phone Key" thing works on Bluetooth... but if the Tesla app doesnt stay running in the background, it doesn't work it seems. I've tried a few different phones with the same issue. Emailed Tesla for advice but nothing yet.

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
I got Tesla app with Android to work pretty well with the following: not sure which if any had any effect
  1. Uninstall and reinstall Tesla app.
  2. Uninstall other apps that use Bluetooth LE (like Tile, watch apps) -- if it helped, add ones you really still want back one by one to see if they cause a problem.
  3. Goto settings/apps/Tesla app/advanced/change sys settings/allow permission. Make sure this is enabled. Consider unenabling for other apps that might interfere.

The "Phone Key" thing works on Bluetooth... but if the Tesla app doesnt stay running in the background, it doesn't work it seems. I've tried a few different phones with the same issue. Emailed Tesla for advice but nothing yet.

Doesn't it work off Bluetooth, and not AT&T wireless?

The phone as key uses bluetooth, and the phone connects to the car via bluetooth for streaming music and making phone calls. But the Tesla app connects to the internet to communicate with the car for all the remote control features, and the car connects to the internet via a cell connection. A future software update is planned to enable to car to connect to the internet via wi-fi, but that's not yet available as of 2018.4.9.

So my phone works reliably as a key, but when I'm in the house and I want to start the pre-heat or just check on status, it will not connect if the car does not have a cell signal.

• Informative
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff