Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found since the last update the car unlocks every time...

But, sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds. Most times it does unlock when I get there, but quite a few times I have to wait a bit.

I think it was a mistake to get rid of the feature that unlocked it before you got super close to the car.

I think it should at least be a toggle.
So you pull on the handle and wait 10 seconds and then the car will be unlocked?

Just saw this:
Car Consortium That Includes Apple Announces Digital Car Key Specification for Smartphones

“The Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), an organization that includes Apple, today announced the publication of a new Digital Key Release 1.0 specification, which is a standardized solution designed to let drivers download a digital vehicle key onto their smartphones.

The new Digital Key specification, which uses NFC, was developed to create a "robust ecosystem" around interoperable digital key use cases. It will let drivers lock, unlock, start the engine, and share access to their cars using smart devices like the iPhone with reliable user authentication methods.”​

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
Just saw this:
Car Consortium That Includes Apple Announces Digital Car Key Specification for Smartphones

“The Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), an organization that includes Apple, today announced the publication of a new Digital Key Release 1.0 specification, which is a standardized solution designed to let drivers download a digital vehicle key onto their smartphones.

The new Digital Key specification, which uses NFC, was developed to create a "robust ecosystem" around interoperable digital key use cases. It will let drivers lock, unlock, start the engine, and share access to their cars using smart devices like the iPhone with reliable user authentication methods.”​

NFC, eh?

What's the range on NFC?

Will it be possible for a phone using NFC to effectively replace a keyfob for keyless entry? (i.e., never having to take the phone out of your pocket?) (Not that Tesla has shown Bluetooth to be an effective solution either.)

I just barely saw the note in the Tesla app that says if the phone key is giving you trouble to turn on and off airplane mode. Has anyone tried that and know if it's successful in clearing up the phone key?

From reading these forums, seems like pretty much everyone has tried that, and it seems to work once, but it doesn't provide any longer-term benefit.

• Informative
From reading these forums, seems like pretty much everyone has tried that, and it seems to work once, but it doesn't provide any longer-term benefit.

It works multiple times ;-)

I think you were trying to say one toggle is not a permanent solution.

I am only at almost 5 weeks but with essential Android and now .21.9 seems to be pretty good for me. I still keep keycard in holder with my work badge but haven't used it recently. I only ever toggled airplane mode once to get to unlock.
I've toggled Bluetooth a few times and resorted to expicit unlock from app several times.

I am likely imagining this but latest firmware seems to trigger something once pulling on the handle. Usually unlocks within a second or two. Some outliers require second attempt within five or ten seconds.

It works multiple times ;-)

I think you were trying to say one toggle is not a permanent solution.

I am only at almost 5 weeks but with essential Android and now .21.9 seems to be pretty good for me. I still keep keycard in holder with my work badge but haven't used it recently. I only ever toggled airplane mode once to get to unlock.
I've toggled Bluetooth a few times and resorted to expicit unlock from app several times.

I am likely imagining this but latest firmware seems to trigger something once pulling on the handle. Usually unlocks within a second or two. Some outliers require second attempt within five or ten seconds.
It's not a flaw. It's just reminding you who's boss.
Robin

• Love
So I've never had an issue with phone-as-key with my phone, but my wife's phone started having problems several weeks ago. At first we thought it could have been due to a car software update, but I eventually discovered that her phone's BT had starting having signal-strength problems (probably due to the phone getting dropped which happens to her too often). We both have iPhone 6s's. I figured this out when I noticed her phone was also a bit less reliable with its WiFi connection at home (the iPhone uses a common antenna assembly for BT and WiFi) so I brought it to work where I compared the BT signal on a spectrum analyzer between her phone and mine; hers was 22 dB lower signal! This wasn't done in an anechoic chamber so the number isn't necessarily accurate. There is a chamber at work so the next time I'm in that facility I'll make a measurement there.

We ended up buying a replacement refurbished phone from Amazon for her (restored from her other phone so software-wise identical). That was 2 weeks ago and she's had no problems with the model 3 phone key since getting the new phone.

This can't be everyone's problem, but maybe it could account for some other people's problems. One way to test this at home would be to see how far away a BT headset can remain connected compared to another phone. If the distance is a lot shorter for the "bad" phone it's probably a signal-strength problem.

Time for my weekly update.

The iPhone worked about 85% of the time. One very annoying thing I discovered is that when the phone key fails, you have to use the key card. Then you have to remember to lock your car manually because walk away locking is only enabled if the phone key works. I walked away from the vehicle only to discover upon my return that it had been sitting unlocked in a public lot for several hours. Luckily I hadn’t left anything of value in the car.

After getting a Model S loaner for a week, I have to say the keyfob is definitely amazing for consistency of course. It's nice to have the doors always unlock for me as I approach (and lock as I leave).

@apacheguy I've also encountered that issue where I forgot I would have to manually lock my door since the bluetooth failed and I used the keycard. This is probably one of the more serious issues with getting used to the phone key, and then having to use the keycard.

I can definitely say it's more stressful with the phone key, even though it's nice to have less items in my pocket. It turns into a game whether or not my Model 3 will unlock for me as I grab the door handles. Adds some annoying anxiety since it's never 100% consistent.

I've learned a new trick (likely already up-thread) to keep handle popped out for a few seconds until it unlocks and then pull it open.
It has taken a 2 or three seconds several times, and sometimes puts up the keycard prompt on the display, but this hasn't failed yet since update to 21.9 last Tuesday.

I had used to wait a second and try popping the handle again, and again...
Of course now I've just jinxed myself...

THANK YOU SO MUCH LANDIS!!!

This has worked for me. About 10% of the time my phone wouldn't be recognized. The last couple times it failed I pulled out the handle and kept it pulled out. Within about 5 seconds or so the door unlocked and I had full connectivity between my phone (iPhone 6) and my Model 3!

If this works consistently, I'll consider this a very acceptable workaround until the problem is completely resolved - I don't mind holding the handle a few extra seconds. Beats doing a soft reset on my phone, which is a 30-60 second operation.

Reactions: landis
I've learned a new trick (likely already up-thread) to keep handle popped out for a few seconds until it unlocks and then pull it open.
It has taken a 2 or three seconds several times, and sometimes puts up the keycard prompt on the display, but this hasn't failed yet since update to 21.9 last Tuesday.

This tip has helped me considerably. I was having an issue with my iPhone X as a key. The condition was that I would approach the locked vehicle with my phone in my back pocket, press on the handle (rather quickly) but the vehicle wouldn't unlock. I would then use my key card to unlock. I would put my key card back in my pocket (not on the console.) The car would start just like it should. This indicated to me that the vehicle was receiving the bluetooth signal but failed to act on it.

I tried Landis trick and it worked. Further I discovered that if I pressed on the door handle slowly it also worked. I've gone several days with the phone key working every time.

My sense is there is a micro-switch which when tripped too quickly fails to make. By slowing the process down and/or holding the handle in the open position the switch works as it should.

This may not work for everyone buy it's working for me.

• Informative

I'm glad this is working for some people. It's one of the first things I tried but it's been a few months since I've tried it again. When my car failed to open again today, I held the handle open for a few seconds and promptly nothing happened. For good measure I stood there holding the handle open for 30 seconds before giving up all while the car showed the key card message to me the whole time. I'm on 21.9 also.

• Informative
My second iPhone key had a complete fail yesterday. Tried the handle trick, reset Bluetooth, reset Tesla app. I waited and then gave up. It connected right away to the Bluetooth in the car but the car wouldn't drive.

Same problem again when I came back to the vehicle the same day. Had to delete the key and set it up new.

• Informative
My second iPhone key had a complete fail yesterday. Tried the handle trick, reset Bluetooth, reset Tesla app. I waited and then gave up. It connected right away to the Bluetooth in the car but the car wouldn't drive.

Same problem again when I came back to the vehicle the same day. Had to delete the key and set it up new.

I really hope someone at tesla is reading this thread. This is totally unacceptable.
It's a cool idea in theory, but come on - when was the last time hardware from 2 different manufacturers worked together all the time flawlessly?

Today I got home after running an errand. I got out of the car but did not plug it in because I'm going out again in an hour. I went inside and the car locked itself. Then I remembered something I'd left in the car. I went to the passenger side and opened the door, got what I'd left in the car, and closed the door. But I failed to close the door all the way. When I went back inside, the car did not lock.

Yes, it was my fault for not closing the door all the way. But in the Prius if I try to lock the door when something is preventing the door from locking, there is an audible signal. Here, nothing because you just walk away and hope it will lock.

Before I realized that the door was not closed, I went back out to the car without my phone. I was able to get in the car, but when I tried to put it in gear, it demanded the key card. So in this situation, someone could not drive the car away, but they could get inside and steal stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt and JES2
I really hope someone at tesla is reading this thread. This is totally unacceptable.
It's a cool idea in theory, but come on - when was the last time hardware from 2 different manufacturers worked together all the time flawlessly?

It happens all the time! I doubt cell phone towers are made by Apple, or Samsung. I doubt TV transmitters are made by Vizio or Sony. Maybe you have a Linksys router. Do you have a Linksys PC?

With well defined, established, and appropriate standards you can certainly have reliable communication between equipment made by different companies.

Bluetooth might tick one of those boxes at best. It is a horrible idea to build a solution, and particularly one as critical as securely entering, exiting, and starting a vehicle, around Bluetooth. The one single advantage it has is that it's built into every smartphone that most people are already carrying.

It makes great sense for a "Tesla fleet" type application. Really doesn't make sense for everyday use of the vehicle.

Reactions: daniel
What I feared has happened. Someone emptied the trunk of empty grocery bags and other minor items. My wife's phone key works most of the time. Occasionally when it does not work, she uses the card to unlock. Looks like one day it slipped her mind that she needed to lock using the card because she had unlocked using the card. She walked away as she normally does. Of course, the car was never locked.

What a pain! Luckily the loss was minor this time, but we cannot take any more chances.

Our solution now is to delete the phone as key and always use the card. We are hoping to get into the habit of unlocking and locking using the card.

I am much happier with fob as key for our Model S.

Reactions: JDea and JES2