Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Auto Unlock Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
The app works great as a phone key with its hybrid bluetooth/data functionality, but my only issue is walking up to the car and having it be unlocked. It only seems to work half of the time? I'm on the latest version of iOS with the latest app installed, bluetooth enabled, and "always use" toggled on for the location services functionality of the app. I know others have experienced similar issues, but I have yet to see if anyone has "solved" it. Any input/advice?

10.5 really screwed this up imo. The car doesn't wake until I open the handle and I have to hold it for 1-2 seconds. Whereas before it's wake before I got to the car.
What the heck? It kinda defeats the purpose of the phone key aspect of the app. Otherwise you could just use the dang app itself to unlock and whatnot.

So when having issues like these (or not thrilled about having power-consuming Bluetooth on all the time on my phone), I’m correct that you can just unlock with the app and then the car will wake up as long as I have its card in my wallet? (I hope the card is durable as I’ve had a couple debit cards crack recently from life in my wallet.)

The app works great as a phone key with its hybrid bluetooth/data functionality, but my only issue is walking up to the car and having it be unlocked. It only seems to work half of the time? I'm on the latest version of iOS with the latest app installed, bluetooth enabled, and "always use" toggled on for the location services functionality of the app. I know others have experienced similar issues, but I have yet to see if anyone has "solved" it. Any input/advice?

Have you tried keeping the app running in the background? If I do this and don’t force quit the app, the phone key works reliably for me.

I agree
There seems to be a delay. I end up opening the app and pushing the unlock button icon. Even while the bottom white status window states car waking up or the last time I was using the car. I seem to always override the process by pushing the unlock button.

The model x key fob always recognizes me approaching the car and is unlock by the time I get there.

So when having issues like these (or not thrilled about having power-consuming Bluetooth on all the time on my phone), I’m correct that you can just unlock with the app and then the car will wake up as long as I have its card in my wallet? (I hope the card is durable as I’ve had a couple debit cards crack recently from life in my wallet.)
Correct. But here’s the catch, the app also uses Bluetooth 4.0 for quick functions like unlocking, popping the frunk, etc. so you would have to wait for the car to “wake up” (since there’s no always awake mode) if you turned off Bluetooth. I keep my key card in the cash portion of my wallet and I can unlock the car without having to take it out of my wallet - just cover the correct side of the wallet along the pillar and it works. Make sure your wallet doesn’t have RFID blocking though (most newer wallets do, I had to buy one specifically without that tech to use my key card).

• Informative
Reactions: LBusDoor90
Correct. But here’s the catch, the app also uses Bluetooth 4.0 for quick functions like unlocking, popping the frunk, etc. so you would have to wait for the car to “wake up” (since there’s no always awake mode) if you turned off Bluetooth. I keep my key card in the cash portion of my wallet and I can unlock the car without having to take it out of my wallet - just cover the correct side of the wallet along the pillar and it works. Make sure your wallet doesn’t have RFID blocking though (most newer wallets do, I had to buy one specifically without that tech to use my key card).

My wallet is rfid...